IGNORED

Just started going to the gym, after 2 wks, lost my swing..help?

bw0w
Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, new to this forum, I have been so frustrated with my game so i started browsing and looking for help on the 'net.

I recently joined a gym and have been working out for the past 2 wks, also have been stretching alot to get more flexibility as well.

My workouts consists of light weight 2 sets of 10, upper body, lower body, back, basically just trying to tone up everywhere.

After the first week in the gym, my golf game was  normal and i played 2 of my best rounds this yr on back to back days.

However, following the 2nd week at the gym, my next round i lost my swing. At set up, i feel real comfortable, real confident about every shot im about to hit, but keep getting the same result, a cut shot with alot of spin, sometimes almost a shank.  After 3 days of going to the range and trying to work it out and figure out the problem, i cannot find it. I tried just starting off with my 7i and just hitting half shots, same with the pitching wedge with no success. It got to the point to where i almost broke down and cried.

I'm assuming that going to the gym working out is what is causing my body/swing to change .

I just want to ask if anyone have had this same problem and how did they go about finding their swing again.

Is it something to worry about and for how long? Should i stop going to the gym?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you sore or fatigued from your workouts? Perhaps your body is not used to the additional activity and it is adversely affecting your swing. I'm also not sure that you'd see noticeable results from the gym in just two weeks that would change the way your body works. Maybe you're just in a slump?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was sore after the first 2 days, and played well that weekend after resting up.

Currently not sore at all after this past wkend's round and practice range sessions. I'm hoping maybe it's just a slump.This is the worst that i've played in about 6 months.

Was curious if anyone else have this same problem after starting the gym.

Never had an issue.

Best thing is to post a video of your swing, and get some advice.

Start a thread here,

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I got in great shape a few years back, lost weight fast, and also lost my swing a bit. Here is my theory: the added flexibility and strength changed the feelings of my correct positions. So, while I felt like I was turning, bring the club back, etc. the same, it was not the same. After some extensive range work with video, I played better than ever.

Bad news is I found all the weight that I lost -- almost all anyway. So now I have been relearning my fat-guy swing and feelings. Maybe this year I'll get in shape again, a bit more slowly, and have the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Are you sore or fatigued from your workouts? Perhaps your body is not used to the additional activity and it is adversely affecting your swing. I'm also not sure that you'd see noticeable results from the gym in just two weeks that would change the way your body works. Maybe you're just in a slump?

You'd notice some gains in flexibility in 2 weeks, easy.

Colin P.

And THIS is exactly why I don't go to the gym... What good is it if it screws up your swing??:-D Kidding - kind of. I just started working out and had some thoughts on what, if any, impacts it may have on my swing once the season starts. Haven't swung a club in over a month and don't expect to until at least another month.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Hello all, new to this forum, I have been so frustrated with my game so i started browsing and looking for help on the 'net.

I recently joined a gym and have been working out for the past 2 wks, also have been stretching alot to get more flexibility as well.

My workouts consists of light weight 2 sets of 10, upper body, lower body, back, basically just trying to tone up everywhere.

After the first week in the gym, my golf game was  normal and i played 2 of my best rounds this yr on back to back days.

However, following the 2nd week at the gym, my next round i lost my swing. At set up, i feel real comfortable, real confident about every shot im about to hit, but keep getting the same result, a cut shot with alot of spin, sometimes almost a shank.  After 3 days of going to the range and trying to work it out and figure out the problem, i cannot find it. I tried just starting off with my 7i and just hitting half shots, same with the pitching wedge with no success. It got to the point to where i almost broke down and cried.

I'm assuming that going to the gym working out is what is causing my body/swing to change .

I just want to ask if anyone have had this same problem and how did they go about finding their swing again.

Is it something to worry about and for how long? Should i stop going to the gym?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Its probably not from working out. Post a swing in the "My Swing" thread and get some instruction.

And THIS is exactly why I don't go to the gym... What good is it if it screws up your swing??

Kidding - kind of. I just started working out and had some thoughts on what, if any, impacts it may have on my swing once the season starts. Haven't swung a club in over a month and don't expect to until at least another month.

I've been going to the gym for over 3 years now and my swing hasn't gotten screwed up. Actually it has helped my swing by stabilizing it. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Are you sore or fatigued from your workouts? Perhaps your body is not used to the additional activity and it is adversely affecting your swing.

I'm also not sure that you'd see noticeable results from the gym in just two weeks that would change the way your body works. Maybe you're just in a slump?

^^^This^^^

I only workout after playing golf.

If I workout beforehand with weights, whatever swing I had will disappear.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I think Carl Petterson said he lost a lot of weight one year and found that it screwed up his tempo.  So he started drinking more beer and eating more fried chicken to get the weight back.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I think Carl Petterson said he lost a lot of weight one year and found that it screwed up his tempo.  So he started drinking more beer and eating more fried chicken to get the weight back.

Always the wise choice...

:surrender: surrendering to fried chicken 'n beer.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

First, going to the gym for 2 weeks as the only change (as the OP describes) won't lead to that type of weight loss.  Though you're right Pettersen's weight loss can change the swing for the worse (alter center of mass, center of pressure, and posture), the OP's situation is too fast for that.

I don't know what people are doing for workouts so won't go farther into generalization except to say that a soundly constructed and executed workout before you play is very beneficial to golf.  I've seen it with high-level collegiates and pros time and again.  OP workout doesn't sound like it's something extraordinarily bad for the golf swing so I'd be surprised if it's the cause.  I can't make a very precise response without knowing more about how things are being done.

Agree with saevel to post swing vids for help.

Max Prokopy

University of Virginia

Why I do want to work out and be in better shape as it relates to my golf swing:

Stamina -- when I'm in good shape, my swing does not change through the round as fatigue sets in like it does when I'm not working out. Extra strength and flexibility allow me to maintain the feelings from the range and from early in the round. Fat me is starting to drag on hot days sometime after the turn -- that can not be good for a repeatable and consistent swing.

Odd shots -- there are times when an awkward stance or deep rough call make being in shape, more flexible and stronger really work.

Capability -- When I'm fat and out of shape (like now), there are certain compensation that must creep into my swing. My pros (Graves Golf), did a webinare in which Todd wore a fat suit and showed what to do when you have a big belly. While the information was helpful, it was nicer when I didn't need to make those compensation.

Wife -- I'd like to look acceptable or even good to my wife and to grow old with her. While this does not directly relate to my swing, my wife "allows" me to spend a lot of time with golf. If my getting in shape is, in large part, because of golf, it reenforces her good decision to give me my golf obsession with little grossing.

BTW, where is Carl since his weight gain success of a while ago?

To the OP, assume your swing issues are either unrelated or are a result of your body feeling like it is making the same swing when it is not. Enjoy the new flexibility and strength and spend some time, and some of your renewed stamina, and introducing your changing body to your desired swing positions. Good luck.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

First, going to the gym for 2 weeks as the only change (as the OP describes) won't lead to that type of weight loss.  Though you're right Pettersen's weight loss can change the swing for the worse (alter center of mass, center of pressure, and posture), the OP's situation is too fast for that.

I don't know what people are doing for workouts so won't go farther into generalization except to say that a soundly constructed and executed workout before you play is very beneficial to golf.  I've seen it with high-level collegiates and pros time and again.  OP workout doesn't sound like it's something extraordinarily bad for the golf swing so I'd be surprised if it's the cause.  I can't make a very precise response without knowing more about how things are being done.

Agree with saevel to post swing vids for help.

Well, let's put it this way,

I will do flexibility and loosening up before golf, and

Save the heavy weight training and longer workout for after golf.

But I'm a middle aged guy. Youngsters may be capable of daring feats before golf.

• 11 months later...
I joined a gym 7 months ago and have been through a similar problem to you. I'm doing lots of reps of light weights, working on core strength, general tone and fitness, and doing stretching. The stretching is not new and I have a routine based on yoga/Pilates, although I am doing more of it. I found that with the reawakening of many muscles (that's the best way I can describe it), my strength has changed and my swing often collapses for days at a time. So far I just plough on and avoid heavy weights or anything akin to bulking up, and practice a lot. I wish I had a solution for you beyond common sense. Good luck.

Lots of reps @ light weight = cardio, and does jack for any "core strength". Plus, "toning" is some silly word made up by fitness people trying to sell you a rubber band or something.

If you want to get stronger, the best way is a routine based around compound exercises at relatively low rep schemes like 5x3 or 5x5, 3 times a week. Compound exercises would be: Squat, deadlift, bench press, barbell row, and overhead presses (if your shoulders allow. Landmines are a great substitute). Plus body weight exercises like chin-ups and push ups. That's it. Start as light as you want, and increase some weight each session, or each week.

You will completely, and totally amaze yourself how much stronger you will become. I've lifted weights for a few years now, and can throw weight through the roof that I used to struggle with. Also, it's ONLY benefited my golf game. Stronger, more flexible, more stamina, and other things I can't think of, I'm sure.

It has been 2 months since I started to workout.   After a workout, my body is sore the next day and it is hard to play through the soreness.   It may have impacted my swing but I can't be for sure.  These days, I don't work out the day before a round to be on a safe side.

I gained distance though.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!