Sign in to follow this  
putt and pray

7/9 wood vs 3/4 iron vs 3/4 hybrid?

Note: This thread is 1582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 21900 viewsLast Reply

Im a beginner golfer who picked up some used clubs, including a 7 and 9 wood. I REALLY like the 9 wood on Par 3 tee shots but I dont like the 7 wood. Should I try and replace it with a 3 iron or hybrid? Just skip having a "3 iron" distance club all together? Or would it be too "weird" to have a 3 iron and then a 9 wood and then a 5 iron...

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Just a quick question what roughly what distance do you hit 9 wood, 7 wood and  three iron.

The reason I ask is par 3's vary a lot in there distance.

This is just my opinion but I wouldn't recommend hitting your higher woods instead of the irons, the reason for this is it is harder to control them and also to get back spin on them. The problem comes in when you want to hit the green and stop on it. You should also find when you have have been playing for a while you will will be able to hit your irons with more control than your woods. I am not that good a golfer and usually hit a 7-5 iron on most par 3's.

If you want a club to replace the 3 iron(which is quite hard to hit as a new golfer), something like a 4 hybrid is quite a nice option. That is what I do and I find the hybrid is much easier to hit out of the rough then the 3 iron or the lower woods. Very few people actually play with anything higher than a 5 wood now days and the only wood I carry is a 3 wood. It is quite difficult to hit a fairway wood if you are not on the fairway.

Im a beginner golfer who picked up some used clubs, including a 7 and 9 wood. I REALLY like the 9 wood on Par 3 tee shots but I dont like the 7 wood. Should I try and replace it with a 3 iron or hybrid? Just skip having a "3 iron" distance club all together? Or would it be too "weird" to have a 3 iron and then a 9 wood and then a 5 iron...

The numbers on a club do not mean much anymore - you have to look at lofts and lengths.

I play a 9 wood and pulled the 4 hybrid once I determined that they were basically the same club. At the same time, my 9 wood is probably the equivalent of our fathers 7 wood.

I went a long time with a driver, 9 wood, 5+ iron setup and it left too much of a gap.

I recently added a 5 wood and everything seems to be covered for me. (at least the scores are dropping)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a quick question what roughly what distance do you hit 9 wood, 7 wood and  three iron.

The reason I ask is par 3's vary a lot in there distance.

I have not yet learned to control my swing at "full power" (Taking my 2nd lesson this saturday) so my distances are not very good. I typically hit the 9 wood at about 70% power to ensure I dont slice or dribble it and it goes about 140-145 yds on average. Not great distance as I said but thats why I am still just playing my local par 3 lol.

The 3 iron is hard to tell, but when I actually get a decent hit off of it, it DOES go farther than the 9 wood. Id say about 155-160 yds. But thats about 1 in 4 shots.

As for the 7 wood, I dont have a good gauge on what distance it goes. I cant seem to hit this club straight at all so I stopped using it until I get more lessons.

That's ok we all started there, and in this game you have to find what works for you.

In the long run even if you don't hit that hard you will probably find your 8 or 7 iron going that distance.

The problem is you don't want to buy new clubs based on what you are doing now, because if you practice it shouldn't take that long to get to the point where you feel comfortable hitting your irons to that distance even if they don't always go straight.

You should also ask the pro, or whoever is giving you a lesson about the club selection.

You are only allowed 14 clubs in your bag, so in the long run it is hard to justify having a 9, and 7 wood.

I would say also, go with what works and do not buy too many clubs right now, practice and work on that swing and you will develop a more repeatable swing, after that you will need to know are you a long iron player, a hybrid player or a wood player? I am a wood player never met a hybrid I can't hook out of bounds and will split a fairway in half with any wood, so my setup is 1 wood, 4 wood, 5 wood, 7 wood, 9 wood, 5,6,7,8,9,pw,gw,sw,putter so it is not hard at all to have a 7 and 9 wood.

Greens and Fairways !!!

Note: This thread is 1582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!