IGNORED

Today's average golfer, what is your answer?

Spitfisher
Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is a discussion going on another site ( a non golf site) regarding what the average golfer is. Now before you answer there is: No right or wrong answer. Look at the criteria Do not consider people who spend most of time on the range beating balls and who rarely play. Do not consider players that play very few times a year, scrambles do not count Do not include children under 13 or miniature golf etc Do consider climate. Do not consider the sex, although I think we can assume 85%> are males. Don't discuss or justify the economy, weather, costs etc etc, we kind of know all that. So our average golfer in America, I guess we'll include Canada & Europe too 1) how many rounds does your average golfer play per year? Both 9 holes or 18 holes = 1 round. 2) what does he or she typically score ( using their own rules, not playing the ball down for example or tournement rules") 3) what is your average age for your verage Golfer ? I'll go first 1) 8 rounds 2) 102 3) 45 years old

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go with:

1) Playing times: 12 rounds per year (mostly 9 hole)

2) Average Score: 115 average score 62/9

3) Average age: 45

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll say:

1) Playing 15 rounds per year, 90% 18 hole courses.

2) Average Score: 110.

3) Average age: 48.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

1). 15 rounds 2). Average score: 105 3). Average age: 45 A lot of this is, I think, regional. I grew up in NJ , and there weren't a lot,of people who wouldn't play at least 20-30 times that I met. I live near Pittsburgh now and there are a lot more people who might only play 5 times a year but keep up with clubs, balls, etc..

—Adam

10 rounds

score 95

age 39

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

1). 15 rounds 2). Average score: 105 3). Average age: 45 A lot of this is, I think, regional. I grew up in NJ , and there weren't a lot,of people who wouldn't play at least 20-30 times that I met. I live near Pittsburgh now and there are a lot more people who might only play 5 times a year but keep up with clubs, balls, etc..

I hear what you are saying, but. I was looking for today's average golfer, a snap shot of time.

12 rounds. 98.....by their rules. 40 years old.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

95? Not a chance. Not by a long shot...

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  (Notice that the OP said "playing by their own rules")

would say something similar to what flopster said:

12 rounds

score 95

age 50

I hear what you are saying, but. I was looking for today's average golfer, a snap shot of time.

I'd say what I put is a good average of people I've played with then. I tried to even it out for "average". I used to play 100+ rounds a year and still make it to 60+ and I'd say it averages to 15 rounds per year and not a lot of people are beating the score I posted. My point about the regions is that these things tend to average out across the country. NJ, with the expense, too many people and random bridge closures requires more of an effort compared to where I live now. I rarely met someone who played a couple of times a year there who rolled out of bed and decided to play golf that morning. Out where I am now, hoy boy is it different!

—Adam

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

95? Not a chance. Not by a long shot...

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  (Notice that the OP said "playing by their own rules")

would say something similar to what flopster said:

12 rounds

score 95

age 50

What's the course rating?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  (Notice that the OP said "playing by their own rules")  would say something similar to what flopster said: 12 rounds score 95 age 50

Yes, I did say by their rules, leaving some interpretation for everyone. [quote name="imsys0042" url="/t/72770/todays-average-golfer-what-is-your-answer#post_955800"] I'd say what I put is a good average of people I've played with then. I tried to even it out for "average". I used to play 100+ rounds a year and still make it to 60+ and I'd say it averages to 15 rounds per year and not a lot of people are beating the score I posted. My point about the regions is that these things tend to average out across the country. NJ, with the expense, too many people and random bridge closures requires more of an effort compared to where I live now. I rarely met someone who played a couple of times a year there who rolled out of bed and decided to play golf that morning. Out where I am now, hoy boy is it different![/quote] Gotcha, I thought maybe you were using earlier experience as an average today.

I'll go with:

1) Playing times: 12 rounds per year (mostly 9 hole)

2) Average Score: 115 average score 62/9

3) Average age: 45

Wait a minute, I'm the average golfer.

I just re-read the "Don't consider people who only play a few times a year part. . ."

Here goes:

1) 25 (18 hole); 40 (9 hole rounds)

2) 84-95 (average includes my partners, playing by their rules) (I actually score 42 to 48 on 9 holes depending upon the difficulty) my 57 was only once in almost a year.

3) 30 (average includes all my partners, including my kids and nephews)

My logic is I see a lot of families out there, and they are in the same situation as me.

The low score of 84 is because we have a 65/106 rated course near us, and boy do I feel like a pro playing that one!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I just re-read the "Don't consider people who only play a few times a year part. . ."

Here goes:

2) 84-95 (average includes my partners, playing by their rules) (I actually score 42 to 48 on 9 holes depending upon the difficulty) my 57 was only once in almost a year.

My logic is I see a lot of families out there, and they are in the same situation as me.

The low score of 84 is because we have a 65/106 rated course near us, and boy do I feel like a pro playing that one!

Lihu you are not an average golfer, please, you are a die hard golfer!

:dance::dance:

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Here goes:

Lihu you are not an average golfer, please, you are a die hard golfer!

We are, let's lower the average some more. Do you want to play Almansor next week? :w00t:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!