IGNORED

Please describe the use of a laser rangefinder on the course

Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Also, rise and fall will not effect the laser that much. Most golfers know to adjust to distances, so what ever the laser gives you, you'll learn to adjust for any shots were the pin is above or bellow you. Even if you have a 150 yards shot, and it rises upward 30 yards, the laser reading will only be 152 yards. That isn't that big of a deal.

Wind, Humidity, and Temperature wont effect a laser that much, because its moving at such a high rate of speed.

The impact of these things on a laser is negligible. Their impact on the actual shot though can be significant. That's my only point. People get so hung up on a precise number, it can distract them from some of the other reckoning they must do. For example, that 5-iron you hit at 1 p.m. on 18 will go farther than that 5-iron you hit at 9 a.m. on 1 due to temperature alone. Sure, if you can get an exact number it makes your starting point in estimating a shot better, but I think there is a tendency to include all the other context that a device can't account for (at least under the USGA guidelines).

You still need a number to base all those factors off of. I can go out there and say, Ok wind take off 5 yards, elevation add 10 yards, but if I don't have a base yardage to go by then it all means nothing. Since a lot of courses have inaccurate yardage markers and tee boxes, I rather use a laser to get my base measurement I need.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Well I am completely converted over to the Rangefinder.  I find it to be quicker more and accurate than phone app scenario.  I am shooting multiple things like to the pin, to the front of the green, to the back wall of trees, to carry a hazard.  If my shot is short it is because I miss hit the club rather than chose the wrong one.

I also can focus to my game since I am no longer inputting my playing partners stuff into my phone.  They miss the email detail of the round.  I found another site that I can use to track my stats.  Nothing is worse than keeping score with phone app and the battery dies or gets screwed up some how.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

I like the fact that my laser never has to find, or load a course ... in fact, it does matter if I am even on the course at all ... my laser is always ready for use ... many courses these days put a GPS in the cart, so I use the laser as another data point ... like walk up to the tee box on a par 3 that you can not park close to etc ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Today my GPS phone app Free Caddie quit half way through the course and gave me unrealistic numbers with question marks after each of them.  First time this happened and while it was not a big deal to me I would be upset if I spent all that money on a GPS watch that did the same thing.  I am thinking that just maybe there is a big advantage using the range finder over the GPS now.  Most of the time I am looking for a place to lay up as just relying on my 3 wood gets me in drainage  ditches and swamps that are not supposed to be there.  Battery used to be a problem on my cell phone but there is an app called JuiceDefender that increases you battery life by taking control of your cell phone apps. This helped but bottom line is I want to know distances to where I want to hit the ball rather than just the front, center and back of the green.  Driving range is one place GPS is useless so I may be picking up a range finder in the near future and use my cell phone for what it was designed for which is making phone calls.

"However, I will say that the picture above is a decent example where it's not quite as easy to use a laser.  There really isn't any "verticality," and without that, it's kind of hard to get good readings.

Bushnell V2 here...

I'm not believing this whole 'vertical' argument at all unless we have people with shakier hands than mine (with the inability to use a tree, or the golf cart, or something to steady their hands)

I have no issue lasering any surface, even stuff relatively flat.  I can laser back of green, near edge of green, etc etc.  Trees, the group in front of me (are they out of range), that big flat spot in the middle of the fairway.  Seriously, if you are laying up to a flat area, do you need accuracy to the nearest foot?  If so, steady the darn thing against the cart.  Par 3, the flag is out, I'll laser people putting so I can be ready to hit and not wait for the flag to be put back.  That first picture - there isn't a single feature there that I would have a problem lasering and getting a good enough reading for that shot - including assessing distances to the hazards.

False readings.....Lasering a tree behind the flag is not an issue, it's a real dufus that can't recognize when he's getting a very false reading - seriously.  Scan again, or sweep the flag and take the closest reading default.  It's not rocket science.  If the number 'feels' wrong, then it probably is.  Take another 2.7 seconds and push the button again.

Not so much belittling those arguments, but clearly those are simple issues of operator error that is simple to learn to use it smarter, not equipment downside.  It's so easy.

the only downside I think I've read that I find to be 'real' is the non-functionality in fog - never thought of that and absolutely they would not work in fog or heavy mist....

I'll give a very "partial" nod to the blind shot argument, but it's pretty weak,  If I'm blind due to a hill, I go to the top of the hill, laser the ball, laser the flag, and add the two.  (If I'm trying to be super accurate to a blind shot, I would NEVER just swing away without going and looking at the area around my target anyway, so take the darn thing with you - how would one assess the risk/reward if you don't look).

If I'm blind to a dogleg, well, I still laser both, but then I have to "Feel" the trigonometry if my shot selection is 'risk' and I want to hit over the bend.

my only gripe about my rangefinder - the batteries run out.  Now I keep a spare in the bag

Single top piece of equipment in my entire bag - hands down

Bill - 

I must be a madman because I have both.  I have a Sky Caddy SGX W.  The W is for wifi which means I do not need to hook up to a computer just link to wifi.

I like the GPS for the following reasons.

1.) I like to measure shots for real world yardages (good and bad) so I know how far my clubs go.  I know the delta of my clubs, I hit it well is goes X I don't catch it right it goes X.

2.) It is a quick and easy way to get carries like how far it is to the front and back of a fairway bunker.

3.) For less skilled people (like me) it is better to know the front and the back of the green not the pin so you can make decisions.  Most greens are bad either long or short knowing you are going to carry or knowing you are not going over the back is valuable.

I like the scoring a lot.  I record drive distances, fairway left or right, putts and score.  I can then upload it via Wifi and I have a hole by hole record of my scores going back years,  Sometimes when I get down on myself I go back a few years and feel better knowing that there is progress.

4.) The Skycaddy SGX allows you to move the cursor so you can measure to anywhere on the course, I should have mentioned that earlier.  So if you are looking for a certain layup yardage it does the math and you know if you are going to carry near danger.  I can also move the pin on the green and for most shots I am within a yard or two of the laser which is well within my ability.

I like the laser on par threes, and shots within 150 yards.  With a wedge I am accurate and I like the speed of the laser.

I use two of these to hold my GPS and laser when on a cart, cart looks like the space shuttle but there is nothing in the cup holders but drinks.  Any the toys are safe from spilled beverages.   Very high quality for $20 you can not go wrong.

http://caddiebuddy.com/golf-cart-gps-mount-holder-for-skycaddie-sgx-and-sgxw/?gclid=CjgKEAjwkpacBRCNlprWw-u-nBwSJACwHiw-5-qPPK8F36hUngDwkoqP7tOQajLVFxyFMNMWUtVt4PD_BwE

If I could only have one it would be the GPS, I work very hard and am blessed with some financial freedom so I have both.

I also have both. I used Skydroid on my Iphone 4S first. I must have been very lucky, I would only use 20-30% of battery life during a round. I always put in sleep mode between shots. The two main problems I found with GPS are it sometimes isn't accurate in cloudy weather, and isn't always accurate under trees. I broke down and bought a Laser and use it exclusively now. Seems quicker and I trust it more. Don't think I play any better with the laser though.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!