IGNORED

2014 WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfly View Post
Quote: From the Bleacher Report in regards to Patrick Reed--

Here's the best part as far as the rest of us are concerned: He's not a workout junkie, except when it comes to working on his golf game.

"Don't really watch what I eat," Reed said about his diet. "Just kind of live life and feel like if I work hard at the golf course, that's just what worked for me. I feel like that every time I have worked out in the past, I've gotten real tight and kind of bulked up even more, and I'm unable to really be consistent and make the correct golf swings I need to."

I think I'm gonna like this guy.

Don't we already have enough out of shape golfers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Lol @ Reed saying "bulked up" when he's just fat...

Maybe he was talking about his pants being tight or shirt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Reed forgot to mention all of his middle school and high school victories. ha.  I can't believe how much of a resume he rambled off to Steve Sands.  Amateur hour.  Imagine any other top player running through a list like that after just winning a tournament.

Or how he got his wife pregnant...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"The best player ever to live when I was growing up wore black pants, a red shirt," Reed said. "I was growing up watching him. I always thought, `You know, it would be cool to wear black and red coming down on Sunday. Just happens to be that we both wear it on Sunday now." - Patrick Reed

Ergh.....

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I have zero problem with this kid boasting a little. He's won 3 times in 6 months against the toughest competition in the world, and, as far as PR is concerned, he's a complete novice. Get him a publicist and he'll be fine.

He's a 23 year old kid, living the dream. Lighten up a little.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Reed has to realize that nobody gives a rat's ass about him. There are really only 4 or 5 players people care about right now: Tiger, Phil, McIlroy, Scott, and some would argue Bubba. Those are the players that draw in big crowds when they play. As sad as it is, nobody cares about Reed, Walker, or English. They're a bore to watch.

I have zero problem with this kid boasting a little. He's won 3 times in 6 months against the toughest competition in the world, and, as far as PR is concerned, he's a complete novice. Get him a publicist and he'll be fine. He's a 23 year old kid, living the dream. Lighten up a little.

One more thing I think everybody is forgetting is that he was answering specific questions. It's not like he grabbed a mike and started an unsolicited monologue. He was asked (originally) where he felt he ranked amongst the games best. I would liken that question to the age old interview inquiry "where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Do you want to sound like a lazy schmuck and answer "hopefully still at this entry level job making peanuts?" Or do you get ballsy and say you plan on being CEO? But think fast cuz it's not like you get to go formulate your answer and come back two hours later.

Well, let's see, prior to yesterday I'd never heard of Reed.

I think it is interesting that he has family caddying for him.

I wonder if he will ever flip to a professional caddy or if he'll stick with using his wife (after the baby arrives).

Does his wife and his brother (brother-in-law?  Not sure) have a golfing background.

I need/want to watch the next tournament closer to see how many other pros have a yardage book like Reed's.

Did he really have the 18th green mapped out so well in his yardage book that he had to look at it on his last long putt?  I'd like to look at that page of his book.

I also found it interesting that some of the golf commentators were saying that it looked like the wheels were starting to fall off towards the end.

I wish he would have gone for it on the last hole just like he might have if he had been a stroke behind instead of two ahead.

Oh well.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

"The best player ever to live when I was growing up wore black pants, a red shirt," Reed said. "I was growing up watching him. I always thought, `You know, it would be cool to wear black and red coming down on Sunday. Just happens to be that we both wear it on Sunday now." - Patrick Reed Ergh.....

Ugh. Have some originality, man.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

One more thing I think everybody is forgetting is that he was answering specific questions. It's not like he grabbed a mike and started an unsolicited monologue.

He was asked (originally) where he felt he ranked amongst the games best. I would liken that question to the age old interview inquiry "where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

Do you want to sound like a lazy schmuck and answer "hopefully still at this entry level job making peanuts?" Or do you get ballsy and say you plan on being CEO? But think fast cuz it's not like you get to go formulate your answer and come back two hours later.

Did you watch the interview?  He was answering questions, but Steve Sands didn't ask him to name where he's finished in every tournament since he was 14 years old.  He could have answered the questions without sounding so pompous.  Confidence is one thing, arrogance is another.

I don't think he's that arrogant, just very confident, which is good to have for sure.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in his first major.

I rarely root against anyone on tour, but the way he handled himself this week with the media, I hope he gets destroyed at Augusta.  To talk like that when you've never even played in a Major Championship is silly.  When asked to name the best 5 players in the world earlier in the week, he doesn't even mention Rory McIlroy??   I'm not a Rory fan, but that was sort of weird too.

Why can't all golfers be like Dufner...mild-manned, soft spoken, humble, with a smoke show for a wife. Particularly the last attribute

Did you watch the interview?  He was answering questions, but Steve Sands didn't ask him to name where he's finished in every tournament since he was 14 years old.  He could have answered the questions without sounding so pompous.  Confidence is one thing, arrogance is another.

Yes, and in fact several posts up I stipulated that listing his resume at that point was a bit odd, and certainly unnecessary. Somebody above used the old adage "act like you've been there before." While I understand the sentiment, I also recognize that we're talking about a 23 year old who's never even played in a major. So he technically HASNT been there before. This is another reason I choose to cut him some slack. If he does well at Augusta and comes to the interview with a cloak and crown on saying how he thinks he's the greatest ever, well, then I'll reevaluate. :)

I saw 'an' interview recorded on Golf Channel.

Seemed innocuous to me...IMO

As for quoting his past wins, well, the NCAA as short term memory for this kid.  He's still happy about the last time his mom took him to Dairy Queen.

He'll learn.

Quote:
Why can't all golfers be like Dufner...mild-manned, soft spoken, humble, with a smoke show for a wife. Particularly the last attribute

He's has some Duffner traits - same midsection, same number of chins, ........

Bill - 

I saw 'an' interview recorded on Golf Channel.

Seemed innocuous to me...IMO

As for quoting his past wins, well, the NCAA as short term memory for this kid.  He's still happy about the last time his mom took him to Dairy Queen.

He'll learn.

He's has some Duffner traits - same midsection, same number of chins, ........

DQ comment made me laugh, but in today's game, there are plenty of really young players climbing the ranks and most of them don't act like this.  I'm not giving him a pass for his age. If it were 1 comment or something, maybe.  That Twitter feed for him is really funny.

• Administrator

Any and all talk of Patrick Reed can now move to this thread, please: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There were a lot of balls in the water in this tournament.  On 18, I saw some players that usually don't make that mistake do it in the final round.  Was this because they were really cutting it close trying to close the gap or just a function of the course itself?  The winner was so cautious he didn't even make the fairway off the tee.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

crap - another tubby golfer doing well.  crappy role model for the kids.  I thought that necklace of his was going to pinch off the blood supply to his brain.

didn't see the interview - now I'm wishing I had....fun fodder for discussions apparently.  more than the tourny apparently.

He's been bulking up, so the necklace may have been from before he started the bulk phase

Joe Paradiso

There were a lot of balls in the water in this tournament.  On 18, I saw some players that usually don't make that mistake do it in the final round.  Was this because they were really cutting it close trying to close the gap or just a function of the course itself?  The winner was so cautious he didn't even make the fairway off the tee.

The way the announcers were speaking, I'd say there were a number of mis-hits and people getting a little too aggressive, trying to cut down the distance on their 2nd shots.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!