IGNORED

2014 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't see anything too outrageous or too surprising. I would have preferred to see a few things flopped around (like trading places between Alabama and Michigan State) but they didn't call and ask me my opinion.

I don't know as I see Alabama and MSU as being flipped but on the other hand,  I doubt I would holler about it either....   The biggest thing I see is that based on this set of rankings, TCU has a clear advantage over MSU.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know as I see Alabama and MSU as being flipped but on the other hand,  I doubt I would holler about it either....   The biggest thing I see is that based on this set of rankings, TCU has a clear advantage over MSU.

I don't really know what to make of TCU yet. I do think K-State has a well coached football team so I'm holding out until I see that game.

TCU could have easily lost to West Virginia but I haven't heard anybody use that as a possible negative.

Irony of the week for me was when I heard one of the TV pundits say that "Alabama's best win was over West Virginia and that wasn't a very good win." Okay I'll agree with that...But then the same person in the next breath was talking about how "great a win TCU had over West Virginia."

:bugout::doh:

Good entertainment anyway. Gotta love it.

I don't think the bye week is the problem.  I think this goes back to the perception that the the B1G is weak.    I am not saying it is deserved.   I think MSU has a really good team (and yes, a REAL top 10 defense) that deserves to be in the discussion but perception is hurting them.

I'd though you said you were done talking about Penn State's defense. A little bitter in defeat are we :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just to take a look at the landscape of college football

I broke the FPI (scoring margins adjusted by strength of schedule) down into categories, just to look at it in more of a qualitative way.

Great teams: 20+

Very Good: 10-20

Good: 0-10

Bad: -10-0

Very Bad: -20-(-10)

SEC: 6 Great Teams, 5 Very Good, 2 Good, 1 Bad

Pac-12: 1 Great, 6 Very Good, 4 Good, 1 Bad

ACC: 1 Great Team, 3 Very Good, 9 Good, 1 Very Bad

Big 12: 3 Great Teams, 2 Very Good, 2 Good, 3 Bad

Big Ten: 1 Great Team, 3 Very Good, 5 Good, 5 Bad

Yea, the Big Ten is down again. I have no qualms with the perception of the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten wants to change perception they need to start winning bowl games and non-conference games against tougher opponents. Primarily, they just need to get better at recruiting. Urban came into Ohio State, and his number 1 priority is always recruiting. You need the talent to be great.

Though I do think it is kinda unfair on the top teams. You are dealt the hands you are given in terms of scheduling. A lot of times the schedules are made 10 years in advance. On paper the matchups look good. You never know how it will pan out.

In terms of play, I think the top 4 teams in the Big 10 can compete with anyone. They are not going to get any love till the whole Big10 gets better.

Though I don't see it happening. I would love to see the Big10 just beat up everyone in the bowl games this year. That would be hilarious, especially to see Mark May's bumbling response to it. :-D .

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just to take a look at the landscape of college football

I broke the FPI (scoring margins adjusted by strength of schedule) down into categories, just to look at it in more of a qualitative way.

Great teams: 20+

Very Good: 10-20

Good: 0-10

Bad: -10-0

Very Bad: -20-(-10)

SEC: 6 Great Teams, 5 Very Good, 2 Good, 1 Bad

Pac-12: 1 Great, 6 Very Good, 4 Good, 1 Bad

ACC: 1 Great Team, 3 Very Good, 9 Good, 1 Very Bad

Big 12: 3 Great Teams, 2 Very Good, 2 Good, 3 Bad

Big Ten: 1 Great Team, 3 Very Good, 5 Good, 5 Bad

Yea, the Big Ten is down again. I have no qualms with the perception of the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten wants to change perception they need to start winning bowl games and non-conference games against tougher opponents. Primarily, they just need to get better at recruiting. Urban came into Ohio State, and his number 1 priority is always recruiting. You need the talent to be great.

Though I do think it is kinda unfair on the top teams. You are dealt the hands you are given in terms of scheduling. A lot of times the schedules are made 10 years in advance. On paper the matchups look good. You never know how it will pan out.

In terms of play, I think the top 4 teams in the Big 10 can compete with anyone. They are not going to get any love till the whole Big10 gets better.

Though I don't see it happening. I would love to see the Big10 just beat up everyone in the bowl games this year. That would be hilarious, especially to see Mark May's bumbling response to it. .

You are a lot more generous in your definition of "great teams" than I am. :-D

I've seen great teams before but I haven't seen anything this year that fits my definition.

Everybody seems to have some problems that could jump up and bite them at any time, especially when a player or two gets injured.

You are a lot more generous in your definition of "great teams" than I am.

I've seen great teams before but I haven't seen anything this year that fits my definition.

Everybody seems to have some problems that could jump up and bite them at any time, especially when a player or two gets injured.

I am not comparing great teams to those of previous years. I am just defining a level for this year so I could compare conferences. Change great to Very Very Good :whistle:

I would agree, there is more parity in college football. Players want to play no sit out and wait. Recruiting has become more national with social media.

Personally I think they should reduce scholarships to 80 and curb the over signing issues at SEC schools.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Change great to Very Very Good

Very Very Good is a step in the right direction. ;-)

I see the SEC more like:

Mississippi State. Pretty darned good and match up pretty well against any style. Hungry.

Auburn. Very good but suspect on defense.

Ole Miss. Very good and a tough match up for anybody before losing Treadwell.

Alabama. Good. Probably could have been the best team in the country but undisciplined line play (coaching?) kills/killed that chance. Not hungry at all.

LSU. Fairly good and getting better. Has the athletes to hit anybody in the mouth but were too young starting the season.

Don't see anybody else that deserves more than Decent at this point.

On a side note and off topic. NCAA Basketball starts next week. At least there the Big Ten gets some respect :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Very Very Good is a step in the right direction.

I see the SEC more like:

Mississippi State. Pretty darned good and match up pretty well against any style. Hungry.

Auburn. Very good but suspect on defense.

Ole Miss. Very good and a tough match up for anybody before losing Treadwell.

Alabama. Good. Probably could have been the best team in the country but undisciplined line play (coaching?) kills/killed that chance. Not hungry at all.

LSU. Fairly good and getting better. Has the athletes to hit anybody in the mouth but were too young starting the season.

Don't see anybody else that deserves more than Decent at this point.

Sorry, but I think your standards are a tad too high.  The above post, combined with the below statement ...

If by some chance Alabama can get past LSU and Mississippi State maybe it will be time to think maybe they are pretty good and maybe deserve to be top 4  (but not until then).

Really?  Only maybe?!?!?!  They will have one loss and wins against 2 top-4 teams in their final 3 games and you think they only MAYBE belong in the top 4?!?!?!

Sheesh!! ;-)

As much as I'd love to hate on the SEC, you guys are, by and large, really good.

Sorry, but I think your standards are a tad too high.  The above post, combined with the below statement ...

Really?  Only maybe?!?!?!  They will have one loss and wins against 2 top-4 teams in their final 3 games and you think they only MAYBE belong in the top 4?!?!?!

Sheesh!!

As much as I'd love to hate on the SEC, you guys are, by and large, really good.

I just call it like I see it.

There have been other years where I would have told you that I didn't think anybody in the country could beat the best SEC team, or that could beat Alabama. On those years I would have been seen as having "fan bias". ;-)

I'd though you said you were done talking about Penn State's defense. A little bitter in defeat are we

Nope.   Wasnt defeated.   But we are done with that discussion.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

[QUOTE name="saevel25" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/378#post_1072131"]   I'd though you said you were done talking about Penn State's defense. A little bitter in defeat are we :whistle:   [/QUOTE] Nope.   Wasnt defeated.   But we are done with that discussion.

lol I love football season.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Nope.   Wasnt defeated.   But we are done with that discussion.

Doesn't sound like it when you say you are done then go and make a snide remark. :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some really interesting games coming this Saturday night.

I would love to watch several of them but don't really have that option. I work on Saturday nights and my DVR will only record two games.

I usually watch a game I have recorded once just as a fan and then watch again skipping between plays and rewinding each play a few times to see what's really going on up front.

Many times my opinion on how well a player (or a team) performed will change when I see each play a few times and really look at individual mismatches that won't project to future games.

I would love to watch several of them but don't really have that option. I work on Saturday nights and my DVR will only record two games.

I usually watch a game I have recorded once just as a fan and then watch again skipping between plays and rewinding each play a few times to see what's really going on up front.

If you don't mind watching on DVR then you probably wouldn't mind watching on replay either ... With all of the extra channels we seem to have now (all of the Fox Sports channels, the ESPNs, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, and the conference networks), it seems like there is college football on all the time.  I would bet you could find just about any (big) game you missed at some point between Sunday morning and the following Thursday.

If you don't mind watching on DVR then you probably wouldn't mind watching on replay either ... With all of the extra channels we seem to have now (all of the Fox Sports channels, the ESPNs, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, and the conference networks), it seems like there is college football on all the time.  I would bet you could find just about any (big) game you missed at some point between Sunday morning and the following Thursday.

Good point. Sometimes I happen across one of those games I missed being replayed but I never think about actually looking for them.

On the guide it seems like sometimes they don't clearly label which teams are playing in some of those replays. May say something like "College Football" and you don't know who they are showing until it starts. No decent way to DVR those unless I happen to be sitting there in front of the TV when they come on.

P.S. I really hate when they go to a commercial and come back and say "Due to time constraints we are skipping forward to the fourth quarter." :doh:

My Undeniable Picks for some big games this weekend!

LSU: 24 Alabama: 21, I am betting on the Mad Hatter. Game close going into the 4th Quarter, do not bet against the Hat.

TCU: 38, Kansas State: 28

Ohio State: 33, Michigan State 30, the two teams are so similar. I think it comes down to the major advantage Ohio State has on Michigan State, Special Teams. OSU hits a FG to win the game.

Notre Dame: 30, Arizona State: 24

Oklahoma: 45 Baylor: 33

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!