IGNORED

2014 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, this is crazy fun!

Gotta say though, as somebody who doesn't watch a lot of SEC but listens to all of the hype, I am very unimpressed with these two teams right now. The last three drives have had a handful of easy passes dropped and now Bamas running back just drops the ball.

Also, based on the way ASU handled ND today, I'm wondering if maybe I overestimated FSU earlier this season. My impression of them and ND was based mostly on their meeting.

From what I heard on TV today, I think a lot of people are rethinking their assessment of FSU...

Frankly, over the last few years, people who would only casually see an SEC game would think the conference wasnt that good, only to see the conference champ demolish their competitor in the BCS game.   IMHO, SEC dominance of the BCS series is exactly why we now have a playoff (which I do think is a good thing).

edit:: OT in the 'bama/LSU game!!

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From what I heard on TV today, I think a lot of people are rethinking their assessment of FSU... Frankly, over the last few years, people who would only casually see an SEC game would think the conference wasnt that good, only to see the conference champ demolish their competitor in the BCS game.   IMHO, SEC dominance of the BCS series is exactly why we now have a playoff (which I do think is a good thing). edit:: OT in the 'bama/LSU game!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're bad teams, nor would I form an opinion off of 6 minutes of one game ... Just pointing out that it was a sloppy 6 minutes.

and 'bama wins

So I would expect 'bama, Oregon (provided they continue to lead and ultimately win), TCU and Arizona St. to move up.  I would think OSU would move up too.   Enough to have a shot at the playoff??  That will be interesting to see...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

and 'bama wins So I would expect 'bama, Oregon (provided they continue to lead and ultimately win), TCU and Arizona St. to move up.  I would think OSU would move up too.   Enough to have a shot at the playoff??  That will be interesting to see...

Agree. Ohio State is going to need help. They're still on the outside looking in. I think, by far, the biggest winner today was ASU. They almost hold their playoff hopes in their own hands. They'll be 6th on Tuesday, I imagine, and if they can win the PAC 12 champ over Oregon they will have a pretty strong case. The next few weeks are gonna be fun!

I don't necessarily think the SEC teams are all that good this year (as I've said before) but they do have defensive players that are outstanding that can line up and hit you in the mouth. Personally I loved the LSU/Alabama game and would have loved it even if Alabama had lost. It was my kind of football. The average fan doesn't know just how well LSU played on defense tonight. More than half of those guys will probably be playing on Sunday. It was a shame somebody had to lose the game. After a slugfest like that I'll be surprised if Alabama plays well next week. Mississippi State's front seven is probably as good as LSU's but the defensive backs are not. Hope Yelden isn't hurt too bad. His leg was twisted pretty badly on the play he fumbled/dropped the ball.

With 3 or 4 games left who envies the Selection Committee's job at this point? :-D

I bet they are just hoping for some more upsets in the next few weeks to cool off the hot water they are sitting in.

Still a pretty big possibility that there could be 5 deserving teams from 5 conferences and only 4 spots.

At least they don't have to worry about the 6th monkey wrench that was Notre Dame.

With 3 or 4 games left who envies the Selection Committee's job at this point?

I bet they are just hoping for some more upsets in the next few weeks to cool off the hot water they are sitting in.

Still a pretty big possibility that there could be 5 deserving teams from 5 conferences and only 4 spots.

At least they don't have to worry about the 6th monkey wrench that was Notre Dame.

Well I am shocked that the AP and Coaches poll decided to move Ohio State up 4-5 spots :bugout: . Ahead of a 2 loss Auburn and Ole Miss team. Shocked in I am very cynical about national perception against the Buckeyes. To me it is like, Michigan State gets more of a pass because of the national perception their defense gets. While Ohio State does because they have had a few close games and haven't beaten a top ranked team in a few years. I would have bet money that they would not have moved up that much. That is me being jaded when it comes to OSU's national perception. At least right now, with that one win, national perception has put Ohio State above a 2-loss SEC team. That is huge for them.

If I had to guess the CFP Rankings on Tuesday,

Mississippi State
Florida State
Oregon
Alabama
TCU
Arizona State
Baylor
Ohio State
Ole Miss
Auburn
Nebraska
Michigan State
Kansas State

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If I had to guess the CFP Rankings on Tuesday,

Mississippi State

Florida State

Oregon

Alabama

TCU

What's interesting is that the top-4 might have the exact same schools if Bama beats Miss St. and all current top-5 teams win out all of their other games.   Aside from the Iron Bowl, the only test any of the above schools have remaining is the Bama-Miss St. game.  Bama appears to be peaking and could very well win out, which probably leaves TCU out.

I guess it's also possible that Miss St. could lose to Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama could drop to AUB, in which case maybe none of the SEC West makes it into the top-4.

Looks like a 4-team playoff hasn't really solved anything.

Turns out the

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

What's interesting is that the top-4 might have the exact same schools if Bama beats Miss St. and all current top-5 teams win out all of their other games.   Aside from the Iron Bowl, the only test any of the above schools have remaining is the Bama-Miss St. game.  Bama appears to be peaking and could very well win out, which probably leaves TCU out.

I guess it's also possible that Miss St. could lose to Bama and Ole Miss, and Bama could drop to AUB, in which case maybe none of the SEC West makes it into the top-4.

Looks like a 4-team playoff hasn't really solved anything.

Turns out the

That really isn't true. Because you still have to mix in strength of schedule and actually winning games. The problem is, all the teams are in the SEC west. If Miss. State and/or Auburn were in the SEC east then I would think you would have an undefeated SEC team(s) or two 1-loss teams or combination going into the SEC Championship game. It isn't the playoff that is wrong, it is the divisional set up in the SEC, and the primary reason why divisions do nothing but skew who should get it, because you can have the 2nd or even the 3rd best teams in the SEC not even contend for the SEC championship.

Still, I rather have as little playoff spots as possible, because then you don't catch the 3-loss team who catches fire at the end of the year and wins the championship when they were not even the best team. I personally think 8 teams is the best spot. I don't mind 4 teams. If people want to complain, schedule a harder schedule and win more games.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

That really isn't true. Because you still have to mix in strength of schedule and actually winning games. The problem is, all the teams are in the SEC west. If Miss. State and/or Auburn were in the SEC east then I would think you would have an undefeated SEC team(s) or two 1-loss teams or combination going into the SEC Championship game. It isn't the playoff that is wrong, it is the divisional set up in the SEC, and the primary reason why divisions do nothing but skew who should get it, because you can have the 2nd or even the 3rd best teams in the SEC not even contend for the SEC championship.

Still, I rather have as little playoff spots as possible, because then you don't catch the 3-loss team who catches fire at the end of the year and wins the championship when they were not even the best team. I personally think 8 teams is the best spot. I don't mind 4 teams. If people want to complain, schedule a harder schedule and win more games.

Isn't that what you're suggesting is (unfairly) punishing the SEC West?  They've got a super hard schedule, so if they don't win 11 games due to their super hard schedule, then other, lesser teams will take their spot in the SEC Championship game or the CFB Playoff?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I don't think anybody in their right mind wouldn't put Ohio State ahead of Ole Miss or Auburn (for different reasons). Even throwing records and conferences out the window and only using a "who's the best team" criteria, Ohio State should be favored over Auburn or Ole Miss at this point. Ole Miss largely because they lost their best player and Auburn largely because losing to TAMU was unforgivable (even though if they played 10 times Auburn would win 9 of them). If Auburn beats Georgia and Alabama, and Ole Miss beats Mississippi State then I wouldn't know what to make of any of it.

Isn't that what you're suggesting is (unfairly) punishing the SEC West?  They've got a super hard schedule, so if they don't win 11 games due to their super hard schedule, then other, lesser teams will take their spot in the SEC Championship game or the CFB Playoff?

No what is unfairly punishing the west is the fact they have divisions, so basically bad luck. I am not sure a 2-loss SEC should be ahead of 3-4 other 1-loss teams. Which means they would be 6-10th in the standings. For me I am talking about those 1-loss teams who are in the 5th and 6th spot.

I have no qualms with Ohio State being left out, the only two tough teams they would face this year is MSU and hopefully a 1-loss Nebraska.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I do have a bit of an objection to the automatic assumption that the SEC west wins the SOS debate.  The SEC currently has 6 teams in the AP Top 25 who, collectively, have 10 losses, 100% of which are in conference.

The Pac-12 has 5 teams currently in the Top 25 that have a total of 9 losses between them.  All of them are in conference losses as well.

How do you possibly compare those two conferences at this point and decide which one is better ... without just cheating and going on reputation?

I do have a bit of an objection to the automatic assumption that the SEC west wins the SOS debate.  The SEC currently has 6 teams in the AP Top 25 who, collectively, have 10 losses, 100% of which are in conference.

The Pac-12 has 5 teams currently in the Top 25 that have a total of 9 losses between them.  All of them are in conference losses as well.

How do you possibly compare those two conferences at this point and decide which one is better ... without just cheating and going on reputation?

Actually by ESPN's Strength of Schedule

http://espn.go.com/college-football/playoffPicture

Miss. St has the 43rd SOS, to my shock, Ohio State has the 53rd. Only 10 spots behind. Take that SEC west!!! :dance:

Of course Alabama has 4th SOS overall by ESPN. So who knows!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I like this one better.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/rankings/

Still Miss. St is ranked 20th and Ohio State is ranked 30th. Not sure that is that far off. Got to love how the season pans out and how teams who were thought were good wins slowly start slipping away. Miss. St. was as high as 4th place on the SOS. :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Let me really mess it up for you...Alabama wins out..loses in the SEC Championship Game...Oregon wins out, FSU wins out, TCU wins out, Ohio State loses again...

Now who do you have in the Playoff?

FSU

Oregon

TCU

?????

Roy

Let me really mess it up for you...Alabama wins out..loses in the SEC Championship Game...Oregon wins out, FSU wins out, TCU wins out, Ohio State loses again...

Now who do you have in the Playoff?

FSU

Oregon

TCU

?????

Baylor or Alabama, thought don't forget Nebraska. They are a 1-loss team and probably the biggest challenge for Ohio State. So in terms of that actually being likely, I would say a 1-loss Nebraska team has an outside shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!