IGNORED

2014 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I completely agree. OSU is the only team Bama didn't want to play. They have a coach who can handle any situation.

In a team meeting before the Alabama game, Urban showed the results of Wisconsin's and Michigan State's wins over the SEC. They used that as motivation to confirm their confidence in their wins over those two teams. Urban specifically mentioned the B10 versus the SEC in this bowl season.

Urban is a motivation master when it comes to getting players to play fast and loose. Even down 21-6 they rallied and held on to win the game. Many teams get down 21-6 to Alabama and just crumble under the pressure.

I am looking forward to this game, and I love that Ohio State is the underdog. When Ohio State is an underdog this year they are 3-0.

I like Ohio State's odds. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good post. I agree with you?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Good post. I agree with you?

You put a question mark because you really don't want to? I can't answer that for you. Do some soul searching :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

My favorite play in the Alabama - Ohio State game. I know the 80 yard run late gets some attention. I like the first trick play I have seen Ohio State play all year long. Just a great call, and great execution by the WR on this throw.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

FSU's defense wasn't really that good all year. Also turnovers hurt a lot. If FSU could put together a few sustained drives you let that Oregon Offense sit around more. You turn the ball over in a short period of time they can stay in tempo and the defense has no chance to make adjustments. It was FSU's offense that saved them this year. In the end it was their offense that killed them this year against Oregon.

Of course same thing could happen to Ohio State. I doubt it. FSU was 101st in Turnover Margin this year. Ohio State is in the top 15 in Turnover Margin.

I see a track meet. Though I can see Ohio State trying to put on some sustain drives. Ohio State's O-line has dominated some very very good D-lines this year. If Ohio State gets that run game going, I don't see Oregon stopping Ohio State. Elliot has been dominating teams rushing the ball. The only Running Back EVER to go over 200 yards over an Nick Saban Alabama Defense.

The primary issue for Oregon is that Ohio State has the athletes to mimic Mariotta in terms of speed on the scout team. Urban runs a very similar offense in terms of spreading the ball out, and tempo. So, the shock factor of facing a fast team like Oregon won't be as an advantage for them. Ohio State knows how to go up tempo.

I feel pretty good about this game for Ohio State. Similar to the Alabama game, I just think Ohio State gets more scoring opportunities that Oregon does and cashes in with a dominate rushing game.

Ohio State 48, Oregon 35

I mostly agree with your assessment of this game but I am not as confident as you in their speed being on par with Oregon or them being able to match the Oregon tempo.    I might be wrong but I don't think anybody can match that tempo.   Nobody else has been that fast all year, so it is hard to believe anybody can be.   At least not for a full game.

What I do think is that Oregon will struggle to stop Jones.  If those big monsters from 'Bama couldn't bring him down, I don't know as I see Oregon doing it and since this is the last game of the year, I could see Meyer feeling a little freer to run him more.   But if it turns into a track meet, I think Oregon has the advantage because of how fast they play.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I mostly agree with your assessment of this game but I am not as confident as you in their speed being on par with Oregon or them being able to match the Oregon temp.    I might be wrong but I don't think anybody's is.   Nobody else has been that fast all year, so it is hard to believe anybody can be.   At least not for a full game.   What I do think is that Oregon will struggle to stop Jones.  If those big monsters from 'Bama couldn't bring him down, I don't know as I see Oregon doing it and since this is the last game of the year, I could see Meyer feeling a little freer to run him more.   But if it turns into a track meet, I think Oregon has the advantage because of how fast they play.

Well if OSU's speed was able to run away from Alabama whose had the top recruiting classes the past 4 years, I think OSU has the speed to handle Oregon. Urban is all about fast players. I do think OSU will have to play more of their two deep roster in this game to keep people fresh. If OSU gets the run game going then that keeps that Oregon's offense off the field. If Oregon can't hit some big plays and is forced to march down the field, I see Ohio State controlling this game just because they play a style that gives Oregon fit in the past. Cause even with the spread offense, Ohio State plays power football. They line up, even with the spread and play smash mouth football. Those physical teams usually give Oregon problems. If OSU is forced into punting more then usual and has a few turnovers then I see Oregon winning. It should be close, but I just see OSU being too athletic, that combination of size and speed, for Oregon.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well if OSU's speed was able to run away from Alabama whose had the top recruiting classes the past 4 years, I think OSU has the speed to handle Oregon. Urban is all about fast players.

I do think OSU will have to play more of their two deep roster in this game to keep people fresh. If OSU gets the run game going then that keeps that Oregon's offense off the field. If Oregon can't hit some big plays and is forced to march down the field, I see Ohio State controlling this game just because they play a style that gives Oregon fit in the past. Cause even with the spread offense, Ohio State plays power football. They line up, even with the spread and play smash mouth football. Those physical teams usually give Oregon problems.

If OSU is forced into punting more then usual and has a few turnovers then I see Oregon winning.

It should be close, but I just see OSU being too athletic, that combination of size and speed, for Oregon.

I've seen Oregon play a few times this year.  Compared to Oregon, 'Bama fields a team of turtles.    So making an assessment of how fast Oregon is, based on anybody but Oregon is foolish.  But the real deal isn't speed, it's tempo and nobody else plays that fast.    All year, the commentary has been about how you really can't appreciate their tempo until you play against it.   If you watched that game, you saw FSU players sucking wind midway through the 2nd quarter.   Urban can simulate all he wants, it won't be close.   So yeah, OSU has to control the game speed.   If they let Oregon get into their tempo, they will lose.    If they control the speed of the game, they have more than a fighting chance...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

What is the name of the OSU reciever who is the high jumper? He was going up and landing flat without a mat. Sometimes getting up real slow because of it. He can clear 7' in the high jump. Amazing and fast.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

What is the name of the OSU reciever who is the high jumper? He was going up and landing flat without a mat. Sometimes getting up real slow because of it. He can clear 7' in the high jump. Amazing and fast.

I don't remember an OSU receiver ever being a high jumper.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/864#post_1091149"] What is the name of the OSU reciever who is the high jumper? He was going up and landing flat without a mat. Sometimes getting up real slow because of it. He can clear 7' in the high jump. Amazing and fast.[/QUOTE] I don't remember an OSU receiver ever being a high jumper.

Devin Smith. #9. Not to be confused with the kicker who is also #9. He was selling out bigtime. It hurt to watch him lay there and then peel himself off the ground after a bomb pass.

Tom R.

Devin Smith. #9. Not to be confused with the kicker who is also #9. He was selling out bigtime. It hurt to watch him lay there and then peel himself off the ground after a bomb pass.

A Massillon Tiger. And right you are about his high jumping. He placed somewhere real high at the Big 10 championship.

What is even crazy is that his average yards per TD is like 37 yards. He is 6'1" tall, and he is a burner. If he has a good pro-day and combine he will probably be taken in the 2nd day. I think some team that needs a player that can take the top off the defense and then develop into a more complete WR would take him.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A cool example of why the offense has an advantage with the snap count.

Just before the snap,

Alabama Bear front

Just after the snap,

Decker pins, Price pulls

The ball is almost near the QB's hands. The guard has already open his hips to pull around the tackle. The only Alabama players to look to have reacted are the outside linebacker on the right turning towards the QB. The Defensive end on the right has shifted a bit. The D-tackle that number 68 is going to block has brought his hands up to take on the Offensive Tackle. Most of the offensive line has already moved half a step towards the left in their Zone Blocking scheme.

Just really interesting to see it in still pictures. Just how that half a second can really give the offensive line an advantage in gaining a favorable position to block from.

Oh this was the play that Elliot busted an 80 yard TD drive on.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/864#post_1091204"] Devin Smith. #9. Not to be confused with the kicker who is also #9. He was selling out bigtime. It hurt to watch him lay there and then peel himself off the ground after a bomb pass.[/QUOTE] A Massillon Tiger. And right you are about his high jumping. He placed somewhere real high at the Big 10 championship.

I think I read his 7'.25" ncaa leap was top 5 in ncaa history.

Tom R.

Meanwhile in Alabama....

:dance:

I think I read his 7'.25" ncaa leap was top 5 in ncaa history.

I guess when you have that athletic ability you can do this :-D .

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Lucky break for Ohio State, maybe?

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/01/47839/ohio-state-allowed-to-practice-more-than-oregon-this-week-because-its-classes-dont-start

Got to love the NCAA :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

LOL I ate lunch with a group this week that actually said the OSU/BAMA game isnt over. There is of course a bunch of past Bama players in the group.

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!