IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I would address the above, but I doubt all of you would want to be Bored with the length and contents of what I'd have to say. I will say this, I do swear now and then. as for drinking, I did so a long time ago, I stopped. My whole family were alcoholics read..Were, all have died to over drinking, I've had good friends Killed by drunk drivers, nuff said.

I have a very similar family history. Nuff said.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

I heard them. That's all the proof I need. I don't know if there are clips of Dufner or Keegan swearing, but I'm not offended by it, so I'm not going to waste my time searching. It does seem odd to me that anyone would assume the vast majority of PGA Tour players don't swear.

I've got all the evidence I need. You can choose not to believe me, and obviously you weren't standing beside me, but I don't really feel the need to "prove" my case to you. I'm simply pointing out that it seems illogical to assume that a bunch of athletes don't swear.

If you say so. Do you dislike Patrick Reed? Do you know why Phil is called FIGJAM? Still feels like there's something more to it, but whatever. It's getting late, and I'm quite a bit behind on the hockey game.

I'm almost curious enough to ask how spitting and swearing are "part of his arrogance," but like I said, I'm too far behind already, so I'm just gonna watch hockey now. :)

Linking to people who agree with you is pointless. Seriously, you don't have to leave this thread to find others who share your opinion. Neither do I. I'll stipulate that you can find people who agree with you, and you can stipulate the same for me. It gets us nowhere.

Have a good evening.

As I stated before, I don't care if they swear, as long as they're sure it's not going to be heard by many spectators or on live TV. If Keegan/Dufner did in fact swear loudly in front of a large audience and not apologize, then my opinion about those two would change. I'm not offended by swearing; I swear all the time in conversations with friends and family, but never in front of strangers, employees, or kids. It's just common sense. You and I might not care, but others might, particularly those who are religious, which is a good percentage of the human population.

Interesting how you care about "religious people" and their perception of you while maintaining being an atheist. Also believing a player would not curse because they are "cristian" (your word)...explain? A few christians can and often are the worst violators of "morals"

It is unclear why you hold words to such a high regard when they are just words. I personally don't not like hearing profanity every other word but do expect it in competitive situations.

Honestly, if I was a friend of Tiger, he appears a lot fun to be around and loose.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
I agree with your first point that TV networks are partially to blame, although it's kinda hard to get a good shot with audio and make sure that you don't get any audio from the player.

Sure there is. You cut the mic right after impact.

And as for your second point, I agree that you should prepare your kids for swearing at hockey, football, baseball, and basketball games if you're close to the front row, because it's expected out of those athletes, but at a golf event?

Of course at a golf event. Golfers swear. They're athletes too. And men.

Golf is not nearly as physically intense as those other sports, and you should expect the players to be civil human beings. You can't say that this is acceptable:

Dude, watching sports isn't physically intense, but hang around some guys watching sports in a bar and you're gonna hear swearing, too.

As for what's acceptable or not, it's probably best if you don't assume what other people deem acceptable or not. Do you think that kid's never heard a curse word before, and never will until he's 18, or 21? Plus, do you absolutely know Tiger said that loud enough to be heard by anyone in the crowd? He was facing away, and if the boom mic was on the side he was facing, it can pick it up while remaining inaudible to the crowd.

And how again is spitting or cursing related to "arrogance" (which is entirely something of your own perception)?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sure there is. You cut the mic right after impact.

Dude, watching sports isn't physically intense, but hang around some guys watching sports in a bar and you're gonna hear swearing, too.

As for what's acceptable or not, it's probably best if you don't assume what other people deem acceptable or not. Do you think that kid's never heard a curse word before, and never will until he's 18, or 21?

And how again is spitting or cursing related to "arrogance" (which is entirely something of your own perception)?

Spitting and cursing shows arrogance because it shows that you don't care about the people around you, i.e. you're the only person that matters. "Who cares if there's a kid here, I'm going to drop an f-bomb because I'm pissed off!".

Anyways, it appears that our opinions will remain distant and we're not going to agree on anything, so to continue this discussion is pointless. Go Red Wings!

• Administrator
Spitting and cursing shows arrogance because it shows that you don't care about the people around you, i.e. you're the only person that matters.

If you say so. The last time I spit it was because I had too much saliva in my mouth.

And again, as nearly everyone swears and spits, I guess nearly everyone (athletes) is arrogant.

I still think there's much more to your dislike of TW than this. This feels like the reason you decided to give after the fact. They're convenient. Just my opinion, and how I feel.

Good night, and **** the Red Wings. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I gotta side with @iacas on this one.... Tiger is just a dude amongst dudes, and the swearing he does isn't nearly what you would hear if you had a mic on my buddies and I when we hit bad shots, good shots, or are just doing shots. Now put a normal guy under the pressure Tiger is under, have them hit a shot they know is below them after practicing for years on end, and see how they react. I guess I just don't mind the swearing, makes players seem more human and relatable.

• Administrator
I guess I just don't mind the swearing, makes players seem more human and relatable.

I will say this: though I won't say I "enjoy" the swearing, I'll take it over players being robots any day of the week.

@Valleygolfer That video is awesome. Seems like they had a really great time.

"The amazing thing was the wear and tear on the guys in the Tour Championship.  Everybody played like shit."

That was the funniest thing. Awesome.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

If you say so. The last time I spit it was because I had too much saliva in my mouth. And again, as nearly everyone swears and spits, I guess nearly everyone (athletes) is arrogant. I still think there's much more to your dislike of TW than this. This feels like the reason you decided to give after the fact. They're convenient. Just my opinion, and how I feel. Good night, and **** the Red Wings. :)

To be completely honest, I just like to argue (but only on the internet ;-)). Now that I have looked back at the posts I made, I realize how much of it is BS. I like to take the side that others don't take in an argument, and see how far I can take it. When I realize that I'm trapped, I always make posts like my last one saying that "this discussion is going nowhere".

@Valleygolfer That video is awesome. Seems like they had a really great time.

"The amazing thing was the wear and tear on the guys in the Tour Championship.  Everybody played like shit."

That was the funniest thing. Awesome.

Yeah the banter was cool and candid. Better than the canned bs you get most of the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

If you say so. The last time I spit it was because I had too much saliva in my mouth.

And again, as nearly everyone swears and spits, I guess nearly everyone (athletes) is arrogant.

I still think there's much more to your dislike of TW than this. This feels like the reason you decided to give after the fact. They're convenient. Just my opinion, and how I feel.

Good night, and **** the Red Wings. :)

To be completely honest, I just like to argue (but only on the internet ). Now that I have looked back at the posts I made, I realize how much of it is BS. I like to take the side that others don't take in an argument, and see how far I can take it. When I realize that I'm trapped, I always make posts like my last one saying that "this discussion is going nowhere".

I knew this already but went ahead to letting show your colors again. At least you achieved demonstration how much of a db you are. I'll make sure to reference this thread the next time you are in an argument with someone. I hope that clown college works out for you.

Yeah the banter was cool and candid. Better than the canned bs you get most of the time I knew this already but went ahead to letting show your colors again. At least you achieved demonstration how much of a db you are. I'll make sure to reference this thread the next time you are in an argument with someone. I hope that clown college works out for you.

And here comes the insults again. I'm just here to have a fun discussion. You take it way too personal. I don't insult people like you do. Great forum leading.

• Administrator

I knew this already but went ahead to letting show your colors again. At least you achieved demonstration how much of a db you are. I'll make sure to reference this thread the next time you are in an argument with someone. I hope that clown college works out for you.

Dude, seriously? Geez.

Yeah I've also heard Dufner swear in person. It wasn't after a bad shot or anything, just talking about sports on the range with a Titleist rep. Like you I don't think it's a big deal.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

To be completely honest, I just like to argue (but only on the internet ). Now that I have looked back at the posts I made, I realize how much of it is BS. I like to take the side that others don't take in an argument, and see how far I can take it. When I realize that I'm trapped, I always make posts like my last one saying that "this discussion is going nowhere".

The problem of taking the devils advocate approach is that being continually contradictory, in spite of evidence presented, makes you look like your are intentionally ignoring other people.  It makes discussions not fun at all to read and generally raises the tone of the discussions to a bad level.  If you feel you need to do this in the future, please start by saying you are taking this approach.  It will change the tone of the discussion and it won't degrade as this one did.

• Upvote 4

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The problem of taking the devils advocate approach is that being continually contradictory, in spite of evidence presented, makes you look like your are intentionally ignoring other people.  It makes discussions not fun at all to read and generally raises the tone of the discussions to a bad level.  If you feel you need to do this in the future, please start by saying you are taking this approach.  It will change the tone of the discussion and it won't degrade as this one did.

I thought it was a pretty healthy debate. We both provided evidence to support our beliefs. Nobody made personal insults until it was over.

QFT ^  It also doesn't tell us why @tmac20 dislikes Tiger so much if this isn't his real opinion and just that of someone playing devils advocate.   Or does he really like Tiger too but played devils advocate then too?

Joe Paradiso

QFT ^  It also doesn't tell us why @tmac20 dislikes Tiger so much if this isn't his real opinion and just that of someone playing devils advocate.   Or does he really like Tiger too but played devils advocate then too?

I actually do like Tiger because he makes tournaments more interesting to watch. Some of my posts indicate this. I just don't like to take the side of the argument that everyone else chooses for some odd reason. Sometimes I convince myself while arguing, sometimes I lose, like yesterday. I admit, I lost that argument yesterday, and you guys are right. Everybody probably swears, but Woods is on camera more. Next time I do play Devil's Advocate I will indicate it before I start my argument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I thought it was a pretty healthy debate. We both provided evidence to support our beliefs. Nobody made personal insults until it was over.

They were not really any more personal than what you were doing. Maybe lacking in tact but arguing for the sake of arguing without saying you are the devil's advocate and taking personal pleasure out of getting people annoyed with the retorts is a troll. Since you post quite a bit on here it is hard to call you an outright troll, but in these instances I would say you are behaving trollish. I admit I don't care for it and feel like it is childish when you come in behind after a debate and say, "I didn't really feel that way anyway."

But then again so is calling names so I guess I stooped...