IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

• Administrator

@brocks?????

Conflicting stuff here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Talking with some folks, while watching Woods play, one guy remarked that this is probably the first time in Tiger's career that he has competed against equal, maybe better competition. That his play in this tournament might be as good as he is going to get in his come back.

I think his point is some what valid. That being he will win more tournaments, but he will be needing help form others, not playing so well. Not like he use to do by eliminating the competition just by showing up. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, Patch said:

Talking with some folks, while watching Woods play, one guy remarked that this is probably the first time in Tiger's career that he has competed against equal, maybe better competition. That his play in this tournament might be as good as he is going to get in his come back.

I think his point is some what valid. That being he will win more tournaments, but he will be needing help form others, not playing so well. Not like he use to do by eliminating the competition just by showing up

There have been some hiccups along the way, but the overall trend is Tiger getting better and better this year.  Why would anyone think he's reached his peak in a week when the trend continues?

And he never eliminated the competition just by showing up.  He eliminated the competition by shooting lower rounds than they did, often breaking scoring records when he did it. 

Edited by brocks

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, brocks said:

And he never eliminated the competition just by showing up.  He eliminated the competition by shooting lower rounds than they did, often breaking scoring records when he did it. 

Seriously.

68 would have tied him with Francesco.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

68 would have tied him with Francesco. 

Nobody in the last ten groups went that low, and if I counted right, only three were under par at all.

What's so heartbreaking is that a 70 would have gotten him a T2, which would start eating into Jack's coveted "most runner-ups" record.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, brocks said:

What's so heartbreaking is that a 70 would have gotten him a T2, which would start eating into Jack's coveted "most runner-ups" record.

Meh. :-)

11 and 12 was the difference. Would have liked to have seen him go 3-wood or driver on those holes, in particular 12. 260 yards is a long way to play from to a hole that isn’t straight downwind.

Looks like he got into Firestone then, on the number. That would be nice. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

What’s amazing about the WGR is 7-10. The four “faces of the game” just a couple years ago aren’t in the top 6. Still great players but they haven’t separated from the game like everyone was predicting they would.

43 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

From Wikipedia --- The 2018 WGC Bridgestone Invitational -- includes all invitation categories.

I didn't realize that they take the top 50 after next week's event, too.  Which means that even if Tiger hadn't squeaked in this week, and even though he's not playing the Canadian, he still might have gotten into Bridgestone (it's not uncommon for someone who skips an event to move up in the rankings, if the guys above him play poorly that week).

Looking at his performance so far this year, he's averaging about 7.7 points per event.   That's better than Spieth, but YJS  is not himself so far this year.  7.7 per event would only get Tiger to about 25th in the world rankings after two years, assuming he plays his usual limited schedule, so he still has a ways to go to get back in the top ten, let alone #1.  But now that he's in the WGC, getting WGR points will beeasier.

I'd also guess that this week has made him extremely eligible for a Captain's Pick to the Ryder Cup team, even if he's well down the points list, which like the OWGR has a two-year window, and thus underestimates players who are doing much better this year than last year.

10 minutes ago, brocks said:

I didn't realize that they take the top 50 after next week's event, too.  Which means that even if Tiger hadn't squeaked in this week, and even though he's not playing the Canadian, he still might have gotten into Bridgestone (it's not uncommon for someone who skips an event to move up in the rankings, if the guys above him play poorly that week).

Looking at his performance so far this year, he's averaging about 7.7 points per event.   That's better than Spieth, but YJS  is not himself so far this year.  7.7 per event would only get Tiger to about 25th in the world rankings after two years, assuming he plays his usual limited schedule, so he still has a ways to go to get back in the top ten, let alone #1.  But now that he's in the WGC, getting WGR points will beeasier.

I'd also guess that this week has made him extremely eligible for a Captain's Pick to the Ryder Cup team, even if he's well down the points list, which like the OWGR has a two-year window, and thus underestimates players who are doing much better this year than last year.

So if they count next week also, couldn't someone (or maybe two or three) possibly knock him out of the top 50 with a good finish? Also, could the winner or a top finisher in this week's Barbasol event knock him out?

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

9 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

So if they count next week also, couldn't someone (or maybe two or three) possibly knock him out of the top 50 with a good finish? Also, could the winner or a top finisher in this week's Barbasol event knock him out?

According to @Frank-0-Sport's link, you're in the WGC if you are in the top 50 either this week or next week, so nobody can knock him out next week.

The Barbisol only awards 24 points to the winner, and anybody capable of reaching the top 50 with so few points is probably playing in the Open rather than there, but it's theoretically possible -- IIRC, Kenny Perry once skipped the Open to play in an opposite event.  I very much doubt it would happen, though.