IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

31 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Unfortunately, Tiger has become a mediocre player who seems to be content being in Top 10.

Old Tiger would be fuming, if he did not win.

This makes no sense.  Why would he work so hard to comeback?  Of course he cares, you can see it all over him.  He just realizes he aint the same Tiger physically.  Golf is a hard game and the competition is even tougher these days.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love tiger wood, and without question think he’s the greatest golfer in the history or the world.   

But, that said, I don’t think there’s ever been a better driver of the golf ball than Rory. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

11 minutes ago, lastings said:

I love tiger wood, and without question think he’s the greatest golfer in the history or the world.   

But, that said, I don’t think there’s ever been a better driver of the golf ball than Rory. 

DJ is pretty good too.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, lastings said:

pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Distance (All Drives) | Distance (Measured Drives) | Accuracy | Scoring | Other | Radar

Makes the argument that five were better drivers than him last year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:
pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Distance (All Drives) | Distance (Measured Drives) | Accuracy | Scoring | Other | Radar

DJ is probably the best.  He's been at or near the top since 2014.  But so has Rory.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:
pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Distance (All Drives) | Distance (Measured Drives) | Accuracy | Scoring |...

Golf is fickle.  1 year’s stats could never give you the actual answer.  

But I think if you just asked everyone that plays with the pros (I.e. the pros that play), I think they’d all say Rors. 

These guys are so good, every one of them.   So good that the best of all of them may not be statistically the best every year. They’re so good that no one is that far ahead all of the time. 

check out my swing here

I’m not at my computer, so can’t look this stuff up..  but if I had to guess..  I would think that for that past 4 years, DJ has been better on stokes gained on approach, and they’ve been very close on strokes gained off the tee.

DJ has def been better over the past 4 years. But I’m not sure it’s becaue he’s been better off the tee. 

check out my swing here

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, lastings said:

Golf is fickle.  1 year’s stats could never give you the actual answer.  

But I think if you just asked everyone that plays with the pros (I.e. the pros that play), I think they’d all say Rors. 

I don't think they'd "all say Rors." I think DJ would get a lot of votes. Adam Scott, too.

It's fine that you've got an opinion, but there are times when Rory's driving doesn't look all that great, too.

And, Greg Norman might give Rory a run for "best driver ever," and that was back in a time with balata and persimmon.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also, DJ plays a ligit slice off the tee. As a golf fan, it’s just not attractive.  I don’t like it,  not because it’s not good, just cause I don’t like it. 

Which, I think, is ok. 

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

3 things

Not sure I agree, but agree on Adam Scott. But, stats suggest that DJ is as good or bettter.   So, maybe. 

absolutely agree.

and, couldn’t agree more. 

check out my swing here

Greg Norman was the shit at driving the golf ball. There is no question about this.  He literally went a decade (‘83-‘93) when it was not only accepted, but just understood that he was the best off the tee.  After that, he was a bit old and Freddie and Davis Love were mentioned, because they were longer.  And, Daly, becaue he was way longer. 

Stats or video don’t really exist, but I would love to know how Nicklaus and hogan fit in this conversation.  If the argument is comparison to your peers, I assume they’re at the top. 

check out my swing here

56 minutes ago, lastings said:

Also, DJ plays a ligit slice off the tee. As a golf fan, it’s just not attractive.

Huh? If the shot calls for it yeah. But DJ plays a fade. Bubba may qualify for a slice but Harmon worked with DJ to switch him from a draw to a fade.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

18 hours ago, iacas said:
pgatour_fb.jpg

Not that this is a definitive stat or anything, but Rory's 2014 and Rory's 2016 appear to be the best 2 driving seasons of the past 5 years, and are only topped by Bubba's 2012 as the best ever driving seasons since strokes gained off the tee has been recorded (since 2004).   

seems. at least, noteworthy.

• Like 1

check out my swing here

Someone already alluded to this, but it was pretty amazing how good his approach shots are.  I think he was first strokes gained in that department.  And also 2nd in driving accuracy was it?  But near the bottom in distance.  GC app said he gave up like 35 yards on average per hole to DJ.  I don't care how good your approach game is, you're just not going to get as many looks.  And with the way he putted against his peers, he just can't catch up.  I've said it before, why doesn't he get like a mini driver or a very strong lofted three wood to hit off the tee if he's so worried about driver?  Or just really work on driver.  I don't know.  His stroke with the putter seems so rotational and timing-sensitive that he needs to work on that too probably, but he'll be better suited to figure out the tee game to keep putting those short clubs in his hand.  He's deadly with an iron in hand.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think they'd "all say Rors." I think DJ would get a lot of votes. Adam Scott, too.

It's fine that you've got an opinion, but there are times when Rory's driving doesn't look all that great, too.

And, Greg Norman might give Rory a run for "best driver ever," and that was back in a time with balata and persimmon.

And I'm not going to leave Jack out of the discussion either because for a pretty decent period of time he was one of the leaders in both driving distance and driving accuracy.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 2/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, Yukari said:

Unfortunately, Tiger has become a mediocre player who seems to be content being in Top 10.

Old Tiger would be fuming, if he did not win.

There are no mediocre players in the Top 10 over time.  He's still not his old self but he's no 12 so far in the world after not winning anything.  I'd take it.

Is Phil mediocre?  Tiger's better than him.

What about Bubba? Someone more contemporary maybe, like Jordan Spieth?
Better, better.

Edited by 3jacker
cut off first post

• Administrator
4 hours ago, lastings said:

seems. at least, noteworthy.

And off topic.

2 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

There are no mediocre players in the Top 10 over time.  He's still not his old self but he's no 12 so far in the world after not winning anything.  I'd take it.

He won the Tour Championship last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Is Phil mediocre?  Tiger's better than him.

What about Bubba? Someone more contemporary maybe, like Jordan Spieth?
Better, better.

If it wasn't for the minimum 40 denominator in the OWGR calculation, Tiger would be ranked #3 in the world - not too bad for a mediocre player.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only