IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

18 hours ago, Zeph said:

Weather is always just predictions

Exactly - although I would say it a bit differently - weather prediction is always just probability. People complain that when the forecast says 90% chance of rain, and then it doesn't rain. It won't rain 10 out of 100 times they say that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, brocks said:

Heh, looks like.  Tiger has broken Earl's curse: in 1995, Earl predicted that Tiger would win 14 majors.  That number held up for over ten years, until yesterday.

Flood gates opened for the Red Sox after they broke the Curse of the Bambino. Could be similar situation for Tiger. Needs to stay healthy of course, but his confidence has to be skyrocketing right now after the names he beat at East Lake & Augusta. 

I think Tiger needs to be especially aware of the "what ifs" that can follow a BIG win: what if I can't do it again; what if I get hurt; what will ____ think if I don't do well on the next tournament, what could I have done better, etc.

I was especially impressed that Tiger let go of the bogeys and played HIS game (not what others might have been expecting). I hope he wrote a lot of notes about his rounds, especially the things he did well and how he felt. That's a great perspective check when things don't go well, which they invariably won't, this being golf and all. :)

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, thementalcoach said:

I think Tiger needs to be especially aware of the "what ifs" that can follow a BIG win: what if I can't do it again; what if I get hurt; what will ____ think if I don't do well on the next tournament, what could I have done better, etc.

I think he knows how to handle that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I think the fairway wood from the 2015 Quicken Loans is my favorite. That clip pops up on my Facebook and Instagram every now and then and I have to watch it every time. It's really unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, TheMentalCoach said:

I was especially impressed that Tiger let go of the bogeys and played HIS game (not what others might have been expecting). I hope he wrote a lot of notes about his rounds, especially the things he did well and how he felt. That's a great perspective check when things don't go well, which they invariably won't, this being golf and all. 🙂

As @iacas said. And...you don’t win 81 tournaments with 15 majors ( the recent coming after years of debilitating injuries and not playing golf at all ) not being aware of nor unable to handle that.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Tiger inked his spot.  He might have added an exclamation point, with a birdie on 18, but he didn't.  He might have closed with a par, and made Koepka's putt irrelevant, but he didn't.  All he did was win his 15th major.  That should be enough.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

As @iacas said. And...you don’t win 81 tournaments with 15 majors ( the recent coming after years of debilitating injuries and not playing golf at all ) not being aware of nor unable to handle that.

Eh, eh, eh. Don't forget those International Wins! It's 107 Total. :-)

Vinny.jpg

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Eh, eh, eh. Don't forget those International Wins! It's 107 Total. :-)

Vinny.jpg

Gary Player had 165 international wins. Travelled approximately 15 million miles. He’s never mentioned as GOAT. 

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

30 minutes ago, Nagah said:

Gary Player had 165 international wins. Travelled approximately 15 million miles. He’s never mentioned as GOAT. 

Over 100 of those wins are not on a major tour. 63 of them come from the Sunshine Tour. 

41 of Tiger’s wins are from the European tour. Tiger ranks 3rd all time in European Tour wins. 

Way more quality for Tiger. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Gary Player

Gary Player.PNG

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 hours ago, Nagah said:

The difference is that in Tiger's international wins a significant number of the best players in the world were in the field, whereas that isn't even the case for some of Player's majors, let alone for his lesser international tour wins.  

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

11 hours ago, Nagah said:

Because he meets literally none of the other criteria. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Woods describing his pre-shot routine for the full swing. This is old, but I've never actually heard him talk it out like this before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Things to be thankful for:

• He didn't have that terrible goatee for his first majors in over a decade.
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

I was trying to highlight the fact that Gary Player likes to pump his own tyres and that the GOAT debate, his name never gets mentioned. 

FWIW as far as the influence of golf and a generation Tiger is the GOAT. 

Someone once said Tiger doesn’t move the needle, he is the needle.

• Like 1

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

Good article on the PGA Tour website discussing the 82 wins for Sam Snead, and how what that number includes
(I figured this fits better here, then in the Jack vs. Tiger thread...and that one get enough action as it is)

In the “Official PGA Tournament Record Book,” Snead’s first official victory is listed as the “Virginia Closed Pro, 1936.” In later editions, that tournament had various names, the “Virginia Closed Professional,” the “West Virginia PGA” and finally the “West Virginia Closed Pro.” Whatever the name, the record always showed that tournament as Snead’s first official win.

But did that tournament actually exist? And if so, what exactly was it?

Those were always questions that lingered at PGA TOUR headquarters since there was so little information about the West Virginia Closed Pro. Snead said the tournament was real but had no trophy to show for his work, and any check Snead would have received for the win had long ago been cashed. Even yellowed newspaper clippings were hard to find. Compounding matters, a restaurant in The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, the course Snead represented for much of his professional career, displays a photo of a young Sam Snead (with no hat!) striding down the fairway with pros Billy Burke and Johnny Farrell. It’s a photo that claims to be from the West Virginia Closed Pro but is actually a shot of Snead playing a Greenbrier exhibition with Burke and Farrell.

So what exactly was the West Virginia Closed Pro?

In 2010, the Charleston Daily Mail ran a piece that unearthed information on that 83-years-ago tournament. A Greenbrier press release, dated July 9, 1936, that Ann Snead, Sam’s daughter-in-law, found in an old scrapbook early in 2013, verified the Daily Mail’s findings. The Greenbrier hosted the tournament simultaneously with the West Virginia Amateur, but the “Closed Pro” nomenclature meant no amateurs could play. Snead shot rounds of 70-61 in the one-day, 36-hole professional tournament, defeating nearby Logan Country Club Head Professional Clem Weichman by 16 strokes. It was certainly an impressive feat. But should that tournament have shown up on Snead’s “official” record? Was it really an admissible TOUR event?

And therein lies the rub. It was a Snead win, of that there is no dispute. But since the entire field consisted of local pros from in and around West Virginia and Virginia, and since none of the stars of the day entered, not even TOUR pros from the area—Bobby Cruickshank, Chandler Harper and Denny Shute—its place in history is somewhat dubious. Should it have been considered official?

Snead-Trophies-1320-StanBadz.jpg

In his autobiography, “The Education of a Golfer,” Sam Snead recalled a conversation he had one afternoon at Griffith Park, site of the 1937 Los...

Players play, tough players win!

Whenever tiger is finally done playing, that putter he uses is probably going to be the most sought after sports item in American history. Its practically a priceless artifact already. In all of tigers memorable moments captured on camera, he has that putter in his hand in nearly all of them. 

• Like 1