IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

• Administrator

Not sure it's worth a comment. You seem to like blocking my access. Messing with my profile. Guess you can't be challenged. No problem. Its your site.

You've been restricted from… four threads, all of which you've violated just about the only rule here: don't act like a butthead. You're about to add this one to the list if you continue.

And nobody's touched your profile that I know of.

Take your ball and go home.

Uhm…?

I'm only leaving this post of yours up, btw, since @k-troop kind of responded to it. Normally, as it's completely OT, it'd just be removed, by me or another moderator. Were you banned from other forums? Is that why you came back here?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Ricky Martins point & I'll admit I did not read his finer points if he listed them.   But I tend to agree with him. Those that did not turn on the masters after reading Mr Woods wasn't going to play are not really fans of the Masters/Golf, but rather of Mr Woods only.

I know some people that once their team is eliminated from a play off, Baseball, hockey, or even Basketball, they'll stop watching the remaining championship. So are they fans of the sport or are they fans of their team? I think they are fans of the team who happen to know the game.

I happen to think I am a big fan of golf, I play 60 rounds per year in the Northeast, I religiously watch the majors, the weekend tournaments, the fed-ex cup, LPGA....etc. I am going to watch no matter who is playing. But there are a lot of pink hat fans that will only watch when Tiger is playing, yeah they're golf fans of tigers, but not really "fans of golf" . I believe this is RM's point.....one of which I subscribe to in theory.

I think Ricky Martins point & I'll admit I did not read his finer points if he listed them.   But I tend to agree with him. Those that did not turn on the masters after reading Mr Woods wasn't going to play are not really fans of the Masters/Golf, but rather of Mr Woods only.

I know some people that once their team is eliminated from a play off, Baseball, hockey, or even Basketball, they'll stop watching the remaining championship. So are they fans of the sport or are they fans of their team? I think they are fans of the team who happen to know the game.

I happen to think I am a big fan of golf, I play 60 rounds per year in the Northeast, I religiously watch the majors, the weekend tournaments, the fed-ex cup, LPGA....etc. I am going to watch no matter who is playing. But there are a lot of pink hat fans that will only watch when Tiger is playing, yeah they're golf fans of tigers, but not really "fans of golf" . I believe this is RM's point.....one of which I subscribe to in theory.

I understand where you're coming from; I really do. But you can't be a Tiger Woods fan without being a golf fan. He plays golf; they like watching him play golf. Therefore, they are golf fans.

I play at least twice a week, sometimes three, and I practice two days a week. I've got golf clothes and golf shoes and golf books and golf posters galore. But I typically only watch when Tiger is playing. Am I not a real golf fan? Is @iacas not a real golf fan? Parsing out golf fans as only people who watch every golf tournament is unfair and, frankly, irresponsible. It's attitudes like this that keep people from joining clubs.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I understand where you're coming from; I really do. But you can't be a Tiger Woods fan without being a golf fan. He plays golf; they like watching him play golf. Therefore, they are golf fans. I play at least twice a week, sometimes three, and I practice two days a week. I've got golf clothes and golf shoes and golf books and golf posters galore. But I typically only watch when Tiger is playing. Am I not a real golf fan? Is @iacas not a real golf fan? Parsing out golf fans as only people who watch every golf tournament is unfair and, frankly, irresponsible. It's attitudes like this that keep people from joining clubs.

Agreed. I'm a huge sports fan but I'm typically not watching the playoffs if my team isn't participating, sometimes cuz it's too painful. Similar with golf, if one or a few of the guys I'm interested in isn't playing or even if they're not contending, I'm probably out. I believe that's pretty standard stuff and doesn't diminish my standing as a "fan"

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I think you are not a golf fan if you dont watch every LPGA event possible.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I think you are not a golf fan if you dont watch every LPGA event possible.

If you lose your "golf fan" status due to missing too many tournaments when Tiger isn't playing is there a way to get that status back?

I used to get my status back by watching the Q-School broadcast every year, but now that they don't have it anymore I don't know how to get my status back.

My wife and I are planning on going to the LPGA event in Prattville this year so that should definitely be worth some status points.

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-master-catch-all-thread-was-injury-thread/360#post_978895"] I think you are not a golf fan if you dont watch every LPGA event possible.[/QUOTE] If you lose your "golf fan" status due to missing too many tournaments when Tiger isn't playing is there a way to get that status back? I used to get my status back by watching the Q-School broadcast every year, but now that they don't have it anymore I don't know how to get my status back.

I think you are SOL. Maybe if you watch reruns of ten year old LPGA or Nationwide tourneys, I could then see you getting it back.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I'm not sure I get this "You're not a real golf fan if you don't...."  As others have said, do we have to watch every PGA Tour, Champions Tour European and LPGA event to qualify?  How many events per year do we need to watch to qualify?  You can't be a fan of Tiger's without being a golf fan.  If I didn't like golf, I'd have no reason to like Tiger.  Tiger just makes watching golf more interesting for me.

Tiger increases viewership because people want to see Tiger play golf and witness history.  It's more like because of Tiger there are more golf fans.

Joe Paradiso

Okay, try this on for size then:  I've watched golf since long before Tiger was a gleam in Earl Woods' eye.  However, these days I still have a hard time getting into a tournament when Tiger isn't playing.  It's becoming less difficult as Tiger is less competitive, mostly because I want to see him compete.  I want to see him force others to their highest ability if they want to win.  At one time, that seemed to be the case - if Tiger was playing, you'd better bring your A game - but not any more.  At the moment, even when relatively healthy,Tiger seems to be just an average player.  With a distinct lack of "start power" on the Tour, I have a hard time finding any interest in anything but the majors, and maybe 2 or 3 other top tournaments.  So I guess I'm not really a fan since I prefer to watch golf with Tiger than golf without him.  But I'd rather play golf than watch any tournament.

I like baseball and have a good understanding of the game, yet I rarely watch just to watch a game.  I'm more interested in rooting for my home team, The Rockies, than in just watching a game between two teams that I don't care about.  I can find some interest in rooting against the other teams in our division, but I'd still rather have something more interesting to do.  I also don't like the American League, so that cuts my possible baseball viewing in half right off the top.

I'm also a Bronco fan, but I do like watching other pro football games.  Of all sports, pro football is my favorite viewing sport.  I'm not a sports fan in general - I don't automatically seek out sports when I turn on the TV.  I don't like basketball or hockey - never cared about either one.  I'd rather watch grass grow than tune in to a soccer game. :sleep:

I guess what I'm saying is that you can be more than a casual fan without having to devote your life to a game.  If, like Erik, you do devote most of your life to a game, then you are clearly far more than a casual fan, no matter what your viewing preferences. :doh:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

I watch the majors. Sometimes not all of the earlier rounds, but usually most of Saturday and almost always all of Sunday.

But I don't watch many other tournaments, unless Tiger's playing. Then I watch to see what he's up to. I have other things to do. Rory could be playing well, but he's not making history for a few years at least.

Again, I'm a bit atypical, but not super atypical. To say I'm not a golf fan is ****ing ridiculous.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Latest Woods piece from The Atlantic http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/04/golf-after-tiger-woods/360794/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I read that article in the Atlantic but had to Google 'Rafa'.  I supposed him to be someone like 'Pele' who struck the round football with his foot but 'prpbably' no.  Most likely it's Rafael Nadal and if he could ever compare, in any universe, to 'Wilt', or Tiger, well that universe is not here yet. Yeah, big suspense watching a golf ball fly through the air and wondering where it will land  so i doubt golf as a spectator  activity will ever reach NFL levels. Tiger brought the game to higher levels and from here on out, it's downhill except for the folks, like us, who are firstly players and occasional TV watchers.  Can recommend the comments listed on the Atlantic as some are quite pointed and many relate to the idea of golf as a advertising revenue generator, not a game to be played and enjoyed.

• Administrator

Greg Norman on Tiger passing Jack:

Quote:
No, I do not see that happening.  The older he gets, the younger these players get.  You’ve got to remember too, the intimidation factor of that era of players that Tiger grew up in when he was 21 to 30 is not the same because he is now in his high 30s. Your brain is telling you, ‘yes, you can do it,’ but at the same time, your body is reacting a little bit different than it was in your hay days.

The intimidation factor is vastly over-stated. Others have said this too. It seems like a media creation - guys simply couldn't beat him. They weren't afraid of him. What was he gonna do - shove tees in their eyelids?

They weren't afraid of him. What was he gonna do - shove tees in their eyelids?

Bang their wives?

I think the intimidation thing might have been more real for younger players that got paired with Tiger for the first time. All a sudden you have a lot more people following you, more cameras and it's a bigger stage. But for the most part I agree, the intimidation is/was more of a media creation. Tiger was winning tournaments by double digits, the only thing his playing partners had to be afraid of was not finishing second.

I think in some cases the opposite might have been true. Like with Bob May and Chris DiMarco, Tiger is obviously the favorite and suppose to win, so those guys didn't have to "worry" about Tiger because they had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

he's supposedly chipping and putting, and might be back in the summer. woohoo! :dance:

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

• Administrator
he's supposedly chipping and putting, and might be back in the summer. woohoo! :dance:

Yeah. Long way from swinging. I'm thinking PGA at the earliest.

I said Ryder Cup, and you were willing to bet against me on that! :-P Actually, if he doesn't play the PGA, I doubt he'll play in the Ryder Cup either.

There are rumors of hoy lake. Can't find the link anymore

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/sources-woods-targets-open-championship-return/

edit: I found the link and added it

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5