IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

He will move the needle as long as he's playing golf on the tour, even with poor results. Results are not always the primary reason for the media to show interest. Tiger's history, his success, divorce, car accident, infidelity, injuries, coaches, religious views, alleged drug abuse, etc. All of this builds the persona that is Tiger Woods. The media gobble up anything related to Tiger and I'm sure their viewers read it as well.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is finally doing it right, he needed a long break to get well in his mind and body, he'll be back but it may take a while, I can see a 2017 return, this year is probably out.

20 minutes ago, MrDC said:

Tiger is finally doing it right, he needed a long break to get well in his mind and body, he'll be back but it may take a while, I can see a 2017 return, this year is probably out.

I can see a 2016 return, maybe... He is doing it right. He is taking his time to get well, but we can't completely rule this year out, yet.. I don't think he'll play the Masters, but I think he'll be at Augusta (champions dinner, photo ops, etc. )... Maybe early summer or when next season starts (After the Tour Championship).

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I think people have finally given up on him beating Jack's 18 majors.  Most people think he will be lucky to compete again.  So he will still move the needle but just without the same amount of hype and promise.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I am people and I haven't giving up on him winning a major again. Maybe wishfull thinking, but so be it. 

For sure lots of hype in the (not so near) future.

Edited by MacDutch

Hell, he could have a 2017, comparable to Jack in '80.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

18 majors is out of reach I think, but it would still be fun having him around, see if he can still win tournaments and maybe a major.

The fact he's still in rehab doesn't mean he's not going too fast. We know scarcely little about his recovery, status and progress. I haven't read his history in detail, but his recurring and new injuries might have happened even if he took more time to heal. What I fear most and have done for many years now, is that his body is simply not well enough for him to play professional golf anymore.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

I am people and I haven't giving up on him winning a major again. Maybe wishfull thinking, but so be it. 

For sure lots of hype in the (not so near) future.

What about winning 4 more majors?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Hell, he could have a 2017, comparable to Jack in '80.

Stop comparing Tiger to Jack - 2 different guys, eras, careers.
Sure Jack won 2 majors in 1980, but he was still actively playing the tour 10 top 10's in majors the 3 previous years (including a US Open title). And it was against a much different tour, not nearly as talented or deep as the tour is today.

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

18 majors is out of reach I think, but it would still be fun having him around, see if he can still win tournaments and maybe a major.

The fact he's still in rehab doesn't mean he's not going too fast. We know scarcely little about his recovery, status and progress. I haven't read his history in detail, but his recurring and new injuries might have happened even if he took more time to heal. What I fear most and have done for many years now, is that his body is simply not well enough for him to play professional golf anymore.

His last great year was 2013, and he has made the cut about a dozen times since then and W/D or cut 9 times. I know he needs to get healthy, but I'm starting to think he is more like Michael Jordan with the Wizards then he is like Ben Hogan after his accident. I'd like to see Tiger compete and win, but even if he gets healthy the then needs to get a swing back and confidence in his game.
There was nothing worse than watching him struggle, especially with his short game.

Players play, tough players win!

Woods official on not playing The Masters. 

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2016/04/01/170054110/tiger-will-not-play-the-masters-tournament/

There will still be people hoping it's an April Fool's joke  

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 3/30/2016 at 3:08 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Stop comparing Tiger to Jack - 2 different guys, eras, careers.
Sure Jack won 2 majors in 1980, but he was still actively playing the tour 10 top 10's in majors the 3 previous years (including a US Open title). And it was against a much different tour, not nearly as talented or deep as the tour is today.

His last great year was 2013, and he has made the cut about a dozen times since then and W/D or cut 9 times. I know he needs to get healthy, but I'm starting to think he is more like Michael Jordan with the Wizards then he is like Ben Hogan after his accident. I'd like to see Tiger compete and win, but even if he gets healthy the then needs to get a swing back and confidence in his game.
There was nothing worse than watching him struggle, especially with his short game.

I love to watch him struggle with any part of his game. Makes for good tv.

• Upvote 1

I think the good news in all this is that Tiger was seen at Medalist in March working on his wedges with Chris Como. At least he's progressing somewhat, albeit slowly.

Constantine

Tiger may still move the needle to an extent, but this is also an indication that the Golf World has moved on from Tiger Woods. Two years ago this would have been huge news on SportsCenter and all over the sports world. I turned on SportsCenter this morning and it was buried as the 4th or 5th story that Tiger wasn't playing. Wasn't even one of the main headlines on espn.com. Goes to what I said a few days ago....I just don't think he's the big story in golf anymore. He'll still bring in a lot of fans whenever he's in contention, but I think the main focus of the game is on Jordan, Rory and even Day right now.

Are these really the clubs Woods used to win the 97 Masters? Those woods, they look like they're cr#p compared to today's woods. It looks like they are: 

http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/675

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Are these really the clubs Woods used to win the 97 Masters? Those woods, they look like they're cr#p compared to today's woods. It looks like they are: 

http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/675

Prob the same model irons, but I'm pretty sure his driver and 3-w were Titleist. 975j, IIRC. 

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

On April 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM, Natural Patrick said:

The PGA Tour is in a better place right now. Tiger fans and the media are in denial, because that is a hard pill for them to swallow.

That's a very combative way of saying that Tiger fans wish Tiger was playing.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter