IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

9 minutes ago, mvmac said:

With the "lying" bit, maybe I'm cynical but I expect there to be some "spin" when he or Steinberg are talking about his health.

Totally agree--they have always been that way.  Do you think it serves a purpose?

10 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Tiger won't know how healthy or unhealthy his back is until he tests it out in tournament conditions, that's what he's doing and it puts him in a vulnerable position (media wise).

I'm not sure I necessarily buy this.  What's so different about a tournament that he couldn't replicate in practice?  Hitting a few hundred balls on the range, putting drills for an hour, walking 18, and getting in a light-to-moderate conditioning session...I'm guessing this is what a typical full day of "practice" or "training" would consist of if he's healthy.  How is a tournament going to feel different to his spine?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, k-troop said:

I'm not sure I necessarily buy this.  What's so different about a tournament that he couldn't replicate in practice?  Hitting a few hundred balls on the range, putting drills for an hour, walking 18, and getting in a light-to-moderate conditioning session...I'm guessing this is what a typical full day of "practice" or "training" would consist of if he's healthy.  How is a tournament going to feel different to his spine?

• Pace of play is one. Pretty tough to make yourself take five hours to play a round of golf when you're just out by yourself.
  • Weather conditions (yes, he could fly somewhere else, but typically Florida is warmer than Torrey Pines was, etc.).

Yes he could "replicate" tournament conditions, most of them anyway, but why would he? I've never heard of any player in any sport doing that. They'll work out - practice - harder than what game conditions are like, and say "well, that was fine, so I think I'll be okay." But then sometimes it's the twelve minutes between shots or just standing on the first tee after putting for 10 minutes that you don't think will matter that do.

I had a kid last year tighten up and get a hamstring cramp because he sat down in the shade to eat a hot dog due to a delay on the starting times. If he'd walked to the first tee and begun play right away, I think he'd have been okay.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:
  • Pace of play is one. Pretty tough to make yourself take five hours to play a round of golf when you're just out by yourself.

Yes he could "replicate" tournament conditions, most of them anyway, but why would he? I've never heard of any player in any sport doing that.

Okay, fair enough.  I wasn't thinking about the idle-ness associated with a typical round on the modern tour.

Spoiler

If that's the issue, he just needs to play more rounds with Freddy Couples.  He'll learn all about knee-bends, toe-touches, and twistys.  His glutes will be firing like never before.

Kevin

Long flights are also not good on a back. I imagine Tiger is flying on a private jet with a little more leg room than what I am accustomed to, but it can still take its toll. 

- Shane

14 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Long flights are also not good on a back. I imagine Tiger is flying on a private jet with a little more leg room than what I am accustomed to, but it can still take its toll. 

He missed his private jet to Dubai, took a commercial flight, so definitely tighter (no pun intended) quarters traveling this time around.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

He flew to Dubai "commercial." It's in quotes because it may have been Air Emirates or something.

I don't know whether it was one of the $25,000 suits with a fully reclining chair that turns into a bed, or what…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

He flew to Dubai "commercial." It's in quotes because it may have been Air Emirates or something.

I don't know whether it was one of the $25,000 suits with a fully reclining chair that turns into a bed, or what…

Yeah, I doubt Tiger was rocking a middle seat back in steerage.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

He missed his private jet to Dubai, took a commercial flight, so definitely tighter (no pun intended) quarters traveling this time around.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I hadn't heard that. How in the _____ do you miss a private jet?!!!!

- Shane

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I guess Poulter took off without him.  What a d!@#

• Upvote 1

Kevin

49 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Can you guys imagine if I sat down for my JetBlue flight and Tigs was there in the middle seat next to me? I'd die...

He's playing like a guy who would be in the middle seat between you and me.

• Upvote 4

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I thought that, too. How in hell do you miss a private jet? :hmm: I also thought he had his own plane...maybe he doesn't.

An ode to Tiger

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
He used to make me smile
And I knew if he had a chance
That he could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every shot that he'd deliver
Bad news on the backswing
He couldn't take one more swing

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his withdrawal
Something touched me deep inside
The day that golfing died

So Bye, bye Mister Tiger Guy
Drove my Nike to the levee but the levee was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Swingin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

Did you write the book of love
And do you have faith in God above
If the Bible tells you so?
Do you believe in rock and roll?
Can golfing save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you're in love with him
'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym
You both kicked off your shoes
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues

I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
But I knew I was out of luck
I started swingin'

Bye, bye Mister Tiger guy
Singin' this'll be the day that I die

Now, for eight years he's been on his own
And moss grows fat on a rolling stone
But, that's not how it used to be

When Bubba sang for phil and the clones
In a coat he borrowed from Bobby Jones
And a voice that came from you and me

Oh and while the king was looking down
The jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned
No verdict was returned

And while Dustin read a book about clean
The foursome practiced on the green
And we swang dirges feeling mean
We were swingin'

Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
And swingin' this'll be the day that I die

Helter skelter in a summer swelter
The birds flew off with a fallout shelter
Eight miles high and falling fast

It landed foul off the tee
The players tried for another birdie
With the Rory on the sidelines in a cast

Now the halfway house was sweet perfume
While sergeants played a marching tune
We all got up to swing
Oh, but we never got the chance

'Cause the golfers tried to take the tee
The announcers refused to flee

Do you recall what was revealed
The day that golfing died?
We started swingin'

Drove my nike to the levee but the levee was dry
And swingin' this'll be the day that I die

Oh, and there we were all in one place
A generation lost in space
With no time left to start again

So come on Jason be nimble, Jordan be quick
Rory sat on a candlestick
'Cause fire is the devil's only friend

Oh and as I watched him in the rain
His back was clenched in fits of pain

No angel born in Hell
Could break that Satan's spell

And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite
I saw Satan laughing with delight

He was swingin'
Drove my nike to the levee but the levee was dry

I met a girl who swang the from blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away

I went down to the golfing store
Where I'd seen the Nikes years before
But the man there said that golfers couldn't play

And in the streets the children screamed
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken

And the three men I admire more
The Jack, Arnie and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last plane for the coast

And they were swinging

They were swinging

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, HitAndGiggle said:

He's playing like a guy who would be in the middle seat between you and me.

Lol yes he is....

Colin P.

14 hours ago, k-troop said:

Totally agree--they have always been that way.  Do you think it serves a purpose?

Like I said they try to put a positive spin on things. I think if Tiger really felt crappy he wouldn't play. 

14 hours ago, k-troop said:

There aren't any big reasons other than you have to do it in competition to prove it to yourself. Tiger talks about this all the time when making swing changes, the final "test" is doing it in a tournament situation (actually he's said final test is doing on the back nine when he's in the hunt on Sunday). 

I think there's a certain level of intensity that you can't replicate in practice. There is a practice or range rhythm and then there's a tournament swing rhythm (or tempo). Especially when it comes to Tiger. On the range his swing is more balanced and the swing looks "smoother". Also I could be wrong but I'd guess he doesn't hit many of those "swashbuckling" shots at home practicing. 

Then there are the other things that @iacas brought up, traveling, pace of play, weather. I'll add that the rough is going to be deeper on tour and he may have to deal with deeper bunkers and more undulated lies than at home.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Disappointing. Really sad if the last 10+ years of his career are nothing but injuries. If he tweaked a foot would be one thing, but when it's back related, I always fear the worst, whatever they blame it on.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

9 hours ago, Zeph said:

Disappointing. Really sad if the last 10+ years of his career are nothing but injuries. If he tweaked a foot would be one thing, but when it's back related, I always fear the worst, whatever they blame it on.

It's really stunning to see that written out, all those injuries, and that next year will be ten years since his last major.

Colin P.

On 2/3/2017 at 0:10 PM, nevets88 said:

On 2/3/2017 at 1:31 PM, Pendragon said:

I thought that, too. How in hell do you miss a private jet? :hmm: I also thought he had his own plane...maybe he doesn't.

He does have his own plane and actually used it to fly from San Diego to L.A. after missing the cut at Torrey Pines.  He had planned on flying commercial (not sure why) but almost missed that flight due to the airport being flooded with protesters condemning Trump for signing an executive order that bars travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX