IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

15 hours ago, thanh95 said:

LOS ANGELES – Tiger Woods, the unofficial host of this week’s Genesis Open, will not be at Riviera Country Club for Sunday’s trophy presentation, his manager Mark Steinberg with Excel Sports Management told Golf Channel’s Todd Lewis.

Woods announced last week he would not play the Genesis Open, which benefits his foundation, or next week’s Honda Classic as he continues to recover from back spasms that forced him to withdraw after just one round from the Omega Dubai Desert Classic earlier this month.

Genesis Open: Articles, photos and videos

Even when he’s not playing, Woods is normally on site after the final round at events that benefit his foundation, like when Billy Hurley III won the Quicken Loans National last summer.

There is no timeline for Woods’ return to competition, and Steinberg told the Associated Press earlier this week that doctors had advised Tiger to remain “horizontal.” His next possible start could be the Arnold Palmer Invitational in four weeks.

So, no timeline but next possible start in four weeks?  

He is going to go from horizontal to star in 4 weeks in a pro golf tourney huh?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

Probably not.

But that's the journalist writing that, no?

Back spasms come and go. Just ask Fred Couples, or others who have had them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/15/2017 at 10:59 AM, mvmac said:

You can't get "jacked" in a month.

Tiger from the Bahamas.

web1_ap16335572234408_7498677.jpg

Tiger at Torrey Pines, obviously he's wearing more layers but looks the same as he did a month before.

FarmersInsuranceOpen-2017-8.jpg

not saying he didn't hurt himself lifting, you can definitely hurt your back lifting with bad technique or going too heavy. Just disagree with people saying he looks, or has ever looked "big". I think the problem is more serious than just hurting himself in the weight room. 

After the Bahamas he looked like he could make a comeback, now it seems like he may be done. Dude can't even do a press conference? (Probably just using the back spasm as an excuse to get out it  ;-)).

Tiger at Chambers Bay for the US Open looked pretty strong and needed to for this plugged Lie. © Me

GH_2015_US_Open_72pi_083.JPG

GH_2015_US_Open_72pi_084.JPG

GH_2015_US_Open_72pi_086.JPG

GH_2015_US_Open_72pi_085.JPG

If I had to guess I'd say we don't see him until the Masters. Just a guess, though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

57 minutes ago, jamo said:

If I had to guess I'd say we don't see him until the Masters. Just a guess, though.

Exactly

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 2/20/2017 at 3:04 PM, Abu3baid said:

So, no timeline but next possible start in four weeks?  

I'm not sure that "star" enters his evaluations right now.  I'd guess that if he believes he can play 4 days of golf without severe pain (and spasms are pretty severe pain). he may give it a go sometime before the Masters.  Invitations to the Masters are tough to come by, I don't believe Tiger would take one (and deny someone else the chance) if he's not pretty certain he can play all four days.  The only way to be certain of that is to have actually played all four days somewhere else.   

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Obviously he's targeting the Masters, maybe play a tournament before, that's a big maybe.

My guess is he shows up at Augusta, without much more than a practice swing or two before the event, jacked up on whatever local painkiller he's using to get through the day, and shoot a couple of 75's to WD, it's a sad display right now.

Tiger Woods should be giving golf a rest for a while longer, I don't think he's done, but he needs an extended time off to heal correctly.

Edited by MrDC

I don't believe Tiger would take one (and deny someone else the chance) if he's not pretty certain he can play all four days.

I hate to be negative, and I hope I'm proven wrong. I don't think Tiger needs to worry about Saturday and Sunday at the 2017 Masters.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Invitations to the Masters are tough to come by, I don't believe Tiger would take one (and deny someone else the chance) if he's not pretty certain he can play all four days.

He's not denying anyone if he takes it or not. The list of invitations is pretty well established, and as a former champ, he essentially has a lifetime invitation.

The field expands or shrinks based on who accepts the invitations. There are no "spots" and they won't invite someone else if Tiger doesn't take his invitation.

I'll chalk that up as a brain fart @DaveP043 because I'm pretty sure you knew that. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

He's not denying anyone if he takes it or not. The list of invitations is pretty well established, and as a former champ, he essentially has a lifetime invitation.

The field expands or shrinks based on who accepts the invitations. There are no "spots" and they won't invite someone else if Tiger doesn't take his invitation.

I stand corrected.  I had assumed that the Masters was like most of the other tournaments, in that there was a specific number of players invited.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
Just now, DaveP043 said:

I stand corrected.  I had assumed that the Masters was like most of the other tournaments, in that there was a specific number of players invited.

Oh, I'm surprised by that. Not a brain fart.

http://www.pga.com/news/masters/2017-masters-tournament-field-list

That list is only about 87 names long right now. That's also why they cut, IIRC, to the top 50 and ties… because if they cut to the top 70 they'd keep almost the entire field, and likely just cut some of the old-timers playing some of their last few Masters. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mvmac said:

I'm certainly not surprised. Shame as of now only 10 of the top 25 are scheduled to come. I'm going for Saturday's round. I was hoping to see DJ and Spieth. As for Tiger....I just don't see him coming back.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I'm certainly not surprised. Shame as of now only 10 of the top 25 are scheduled to come. I'm going for Saturday's round. I was hoping to see DJ and Spieth. As for Tiger....I just don't see him coming back.

Wow...that is a shame.  Same thing happened in Las Colinas after Byron Nelson passed away.  All the top players used to play The Nelson when Byron was alive...but the first tournament after he died Tiger and a bunch of the other top ranked players started skipping it.  I hope that doesn't happen at Bay Hill.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I agree.  At this rate, I think he may as well be retired.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
5 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Wow...that is a shame.  Same thing happened in Las Colinas after Byron Nelson passed away.  All the top players used to play The Nelson when Byron was alive...but the first tournament after he died Tiger and a bunch of the other top ranked players started skipping it.  I hope that doesn't happen at Bay Hill.

Not sure Tiger played much when Byron was alive either. Or a number of others.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Not sure Tiger played much when Byron was alive either. Or a number of others.

Between '97 and '05 he only missed one year.  Nelson died in '06.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX