IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I think it was noted on the broadcast, but I find it fascinating that Tiger is now beating a whole different generation of golfer in this "Phase II" of his career or whatever you want to call it. At 43, while most of his challengers from 10+ years ago have faded from the tour, he is out there beating long hitters in their 20s and 30s.  He is no longer a big hitter by today's standards, yet he finds a way to  gain strokes with the irons and putter. Incredibly smart, disciplined golf. 

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woods over 120 million in tournament prize money.

logo.svg

View Career Money statistics for the 2020 PGA Tour

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

23 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

And if you use 33 (his actual events) instead of 40 (the minimum divisor) he is #3 in the rankings. Not bad for a 43 year-old who has been cut open more than a Thanksgiving turkey. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

Without the Masters win, this would've been a pretty disappointing season, and putting off the surgery at least paid off. Wonder what he could've done with the surgery completed last year. Not that there are ever guarantees. He's been hurt and had surgery or treatment so many times now, it's always a looming threat.

Here's to a healthy 2019-2020: 🥂

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

43 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Without the Masters win, this would've been a pretty disappointing season, and putting off the surgery at least paid off. Wonder what he could've done with the surgery completed last year. Not that there are ever guarantees. He's been hurt and had surgery or treatment so many times now, it's always a looming threat.

Here's to a healthy 2019-2020: 🥂

In Tiger terms...maybe. We sometimes forget how difficult it is out there and base performance off a golf phenom, a vastly unique and superior player. Having a win on tour is a successful year. Hell, look at Spieth. How was his 2019 season? Tiger won three times with one being a major. How many players would consider that a disappointing year?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

In Tiger terms...maybe. We sometimes forget how difficult it is out there and base performance off a golf phenom, a vastly unique and superior player. Having a win on tour is a successful year. Hell, look at Spieth. How was his 2019 season? Tiger won three times with one being a major. How many players would consider that a disappointing year?

Of course in Tiger terms, he's the topic of this topic. If he goes through an entire season without winning anything, and having the season he had in 18-19, which was not particularly good after the Masters, I can't imagine he'd call it successful. Especially since he decided to delay the operation to get ready for the season opening.

As I said, without the Masters win, it would've been a season with 0 wins and half the year with a body that wasn't cooperating.

Where do you get three wins? He won the Tour Championship in the 17-18 season, the Masters in 18-19 and has now won ZOZO in 19-20.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

29 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Tiger won three times with one being a major. How many players would consider that a disappointing year?

Tiger, Rory and Brooks possibly are the only golfers who would consider a year like that a disappointment, though I must admit Rory hasn't won any majors in the last couple of years.  For almost anybody else, this is a brilliant, if not career year

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I kinda wish he wouldn't pick himself for the President's. He doesn't care about it.

Maybe he won't now because he is the obvious choice. He kind of proved his point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

34 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I kinda wish he wouldn't pick himself for the President's. He doesn't care about it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Maybe he won't now because he is the obvious choice. He kind of proved his point.

Of course he's picking himself. He loves competing, being one of the guys, etc.

He doesn't care about it? Huh?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I'm thinking he cares a great deal about it. And I also think this win makes it easy for him to choose himself. Should be fun to watch. 

- Mark

3 hours ago, Zeph said:

Of course in Tiger terms, he's the topic of this topic. If he goes through an entire season without winning anything, and having the season he had in 18-19, which was not particularly good after the Masters, I can't imagine he'd call it successful. Especially since he decided to delay the operation to get ready for the season opening.

As I said, without the Masters win, it would've been a season with 0 wins and half the year with a body that wasn't cooperating.

Where do you get three wins? He won the Tour Championship in the 17-18 season, the Masters in 18-19 and has now won ZOZO in 19-20.

Sorry I meant two. But come on..he win the 2019 Masters and now another tournament win. I’m saying for this ‘new Tiger’...this comeback that’s not disappointing. To 90’s-2000’s Tiger that’s disappointing...but I think it’s pretty good for this comeback Tiger.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

45 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I'm thinking he cares a great deal about it. And I also think this win makes it easy for him to choose himself. Should be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

1 hour ago, jamo said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Of course he's picking himself. He loves competing, being one of the guys, etc.

He doesn't care about it? Huh?

I honestly don't think he does. I think if we had a window to his honest and frank thoughts, he didn't give a greasy turd about the President's or Ryder Cups. I think he's an incredibly selfish player and he'd give international competition and wins for a couple of Valspar or other no name tourney wins that would pad his individual stats. His international record does not matter one bit in assessing his career overall. 

I can be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

3 hours ago, Zeph said:

The delivery of the "incredulous question" - like you can't figure out what he meant?

picking nits, we know what he meant.   3 times since this true comeback - and it's pretty close to 3 in a year's period (13 months and 5 days?) even if it spans 3 seasons......

2019-10-28 15_10_22-List of career achievements by Tiger Woods - Wikipedia.jpg

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I think if we had a window to his honest and frank thoughts, he didn't give a greasy turd about the President's or Ryder Cups. I think he's an incredibly selfish player and he'd give international competition and wins for a couple of Valspar or other no name tourney wins that would pad his individual stats. His international record does not matter one bit in assessing his career overall. 

I can be wrong.

I suspect you are.  Watch him play in these things next time.  Watch closely.

As for "padding his stats".......really?  I think this happens organically, he doesn't have to worry about it.

Lastly - the team events are huge for someone with an ego of the type you are hypothesizing..

IMHO - he likely cares more about wins in the Ryder Cup, Pres Cup, Olympics more than anything other than a Major.  And all for his own reasons.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Of course he wants to play, he is a golfer after all. At least he plays alright in the President’s Cup, if it was the Ryder Cup he might think twice...

Edited by Beastie
Typo

Stevie T

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

Did you not watch his post-interviews after the Zozo? He seemed thrilled that he showed everyone he was going to be playing captain.