IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Not the way i want to see the GOAT go out. But my instincts are telling me Tiger is done with competitive golf. 

echoed

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I don't get is why he's not battle tested before playing an event, is he just hitting a few balls in his private indoor facility and thinking he's good to go? I think so. It's not enough Tiger, how about playing 4 real rounds in a row and then do it again the following week, prove to yourself you can play this game and then commit to an event, the constant withdraw BS is very lame.

Edited by MrDC

6 minutes ago, MrDC said:

What I don't get is why he's not battle tested before playing an event, is he just hitting a few balls in his private indoor facility and thinking he's good to go? I think so. It's not enough Tiger, how about playing 4 real rounds in a row and then do it again the following week, prove to yourself you can play this game and then commit to an event, the constant withdraw BS is very lame.

According to reports he was playing 4 full rounds every single week leading up to his comeback. However, that doesn't totally prepare you for competitive golf. I'd have rather seen him come back lightly with a very easy schedule and build up. He went too hard too fast and paid for it.

- Mark

1 hour ago, ScouseJohnny said:

The "he won a major with a freakin' broken leg" thing actually gets pretty tedious. I feel sorry (in advance) for the Tiger of 2060, hitting the ceremonial drive at the Masters; some in the audience well be clamoring that he still has a chance of winning the thing - after all, he once won a major with a broken leg.

For what it's worth, he played the 2008 US Open in defiance of medical advice: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/miracle-man-how-tiger-woods-won-the-us-open-with-no-ligament-and-a-broken-leg-1-1434197

But I think there is a difference between a 32 year old athlete at the absolute pinnacle of his game gritting his teeth and playing 72 holes with a stress fracture of the tibia, and a 41 year old returning to the game after an extended lay-off as a result of back surgery and rehabilitation, and then suffering ongoing, debilitating problems with his back.

In his position, I think I'd be worrying, "Am I playing myself into a wheelchair?"

I don't doubt for one second that the reason for the withdrawals is, as stated, back pain.

I get that he's older now, but I don't consider him old by any stretch.  You might think the "winning the U.S. Open with a broken leg "  argument has been over-played, but don't forget that tournament was also his first event back after having knee surgery after the Masters, so although it wasn't as long of a lay-off as this last one, the fact is it was the first event in 2 months, coming off of a surgery, and he won.  (plus he had a broken leg :-D).

He did it in 2003 too.  At the end of 2002 he had ACL surgery on his left knee, and his first start back (which also happened to be at Torrey Pines) he won.  In 2011 after 3 months off for a MCL strain and Achilles strain he shot 68, 71, 72, 70 at Firestone in his first tournament back, and although he didn't win, it was a solid week.

My point is the guy knows how to gut it out when he's hurt, and he can perform after a lay-off.  If he is in fact experiencing back spasms, I wonder if he would have withdrawn in Dubai had he shot 68 in the first round instead of 77.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Lets face the reality of the situation, if he comes back and starts playing well again and even goes as far as to win several tournaments and/or even a major or more it will be one of the biggest comebacks in golf and sports history based on the severity of his injury in a sport that demands a ton of effort from that body region.  

I have no doubts Tiger really wants to play at a high level again, but I do not think deep down he trusts his back anymore and mentally is not even close to same player he was even 5 years ago.

I hope he can come back, but if this continues to linger he has got to think about his quality of life as he is still young.  He can continue to play golf, but not against the best players in the world.  Play at the local club and start the next phase of his life and career with course design and other ventures he has interests in.  The game is in capable hands with all the talent on tour now. 

Edited by Divotmaker77

The WDs with "back spasms" indicate to me that Tiger really cant be competitive anymore.

Remember the times when he had all the injuries like that knee fracture and still toughed it out on one leg to win the US Open?

I think its an excuse, just retire Tiger and come back when you are ready.

I would rather see Tiger do a MJ comeback than struggle to make the cut or WD every week.

He's got to hone his game elsewhere and get some confidence back.

sigh my optimism about Tiger is looking more and more misplaced as time goes on :-(

I even almost bought the T-shirt. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

this sucks, I really wish he had a couple more in him

but even without, it's a career to celebrate - absolutely - an I really don't think anyone will ever come close again

But, I'm doubting he can even go to the Champion's Tour and relive what a win feels like - I think that's even worse

Tiger's only (still distant) contemporary of the generation - gotta hand it to Phil - he found a way to have one of the GREATEST careers also, and he'll be able to keep playing into old age

3 hours ago, Braivo said:

According to reports he was playing 4 full rounds every single week leading up to his comeback. However, that doesn't totally prepare you for competitive golf. I'd have rather seen him come back lightly with a very easy schedule and build up. He went too hard too fast and paid for it.

This is still heartening -

Bill - 

22 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Just my two cents - trying to swing with a bad back is much different than trying to swing with a bad knee.

try walking 18  with a fracture tibia and ACL tear

Edited by dchoye

I thought he was done when he first had the back surgery, but was hoping he would comeback.

Now more and more it seems he is done.  Bummer.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, MrDC said:

After taking 17 months away from competition, he comes back and announces to one and all that he feels great and is ready to go. He then schedules 4 events in 5 weeks, one of which is halfway around the world, and...well, we've all seen what's happened since then. Wouldn't you think that Woods had to feel pretty damn good to set his schedule up that way? What happened? He and Steinberg continue to insist that the spasms have nothing to do with the original back issues, but these latest WD's suggest otherwise.

The Valspar event would be the next tournament where he could play, and that's just 4 weeks before the Masters. That doesn't give him much time to prepare for the first major of the year, does it?

• Upvote 1

And now I hear that he has withdrawn from the Genesis Open, and the Honda Classic on advice from his doctors. I thought the schedule he set for himself was a bit ambitious, but what do I know?

I know he wanted to be "ready" to compete in the Masters, but it looks like that could now be in jeopardy. But again, what do I know? He could be walking around pain free right now, but the doctors told him to chill on the golf for the time being. I did also hear that he plans to attend the Genesis since it supports a charity he's involved with.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, dchoye said:

The WDs with "back spasms" indicate to me that Tiger really cant be competitive anymore.

Remember the times when he had all the injuries like that knee fracture and still toughed it out on one leg to win the US Open?

Those aren't the same.

4 hours ago, dchoye said:

try walking 18  with a fracture tibia and ACL tear

Dude, you can't even make a swing with back spasms. Clearly Tiger would walk not only 18 but 91 holes over five days.

Tiger's leg HURT when he swung, his back spasms PREVENT him from swinging.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Talk about spot-on predictions, check out this article from 1995, a little over a year before Tiger turned pro.  The whole thing is good, but look at paragraphs 13 and 14 especially:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/01/sports/golf-developing-a-perfect-swing-can-be-a-pain-in-the-back.html

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Talk about spot-on predictions, check out this article from 1995, a little over a year before Tiger turned pro.  The whole thing is good, but look at paragraphs 13 and 14 especially:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/01/sports/golf-developing-a-perfect-swing-can-be-a-pain-in-the-back.html

Just quote them…

Exercise and stretching ordinarily are the only way for golfers to prevent major back problems. But, just as there are no sureties in the game of golf, there are no absolutes where back injuries are concerned. Why does Greg Norman's back flare up when Nick Price's does not? Why Couples and not John Daly? Will Tiger Woods, the amateur sensation, have to endure back problems for his entire career? 

There are respected physical therapists who privately contend that Woods's enormous wide shoulder turn and tremendously fast rotation will result in back problems down the road. He already had a flareup this year at the Masters, one that, some believe, will be one of many.

I'll assume you meant 14 and 15. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger's previous ACL a side during his USO win, he did not have a "fractured tibia". He had a "stress fracture" of the tibia. Big difference. A stress fracture is caused by a tired muscle that causes little fractures where it connects to the bone. A fractured tibia is a broken bone. Tough to walk with a broken tibia. 

Granted, he was in pain while winning that USO, but his tibia was not broken. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Those aren't the same.

Dude, you can't even make a swing with back spasms. Clearly Tiger would walk not only 18 but 91 holes over five days.

Tiger's leg HURT when he swung, his back spasms PREVENT him from swinging.

True that.

Anyone who had a back spasm or back injury will know that you can play when your leg hurts, but when your back hurts ... forget it, you just can't swing the club.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2