IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

I missed the story here. Anyone care to sum up what he said and did?

Played better than anybody from last May thru this March and then said so when asked. That's about it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played better than anybody from last May thru this March and then said so when asked. That's about it.

That is not "about it".

He said he had done things that only guys like Tiger had done.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Getting someone to do that would save you some time, wouldn't it?

First couple of pages had a lot of quotation marks, but each with different content and nobody really citing him. Most said: "He was basically saying...", which makes me think that it's not entirely unlikely that people put more weight into a quote than was there.

On the later pages, it looked like there had been multiple situations now, which didn't sound unlikely since this thread is on page 19. I wanted to avoid reading through 19 pages to find out what it was about. I do wish the first post of threads like these could contain such information, for those of us who didn't follow the referred thread.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

When I first saw Reed emerge, I could tell he was going to be good and I rooted for him.  The more I hear him speak and see him play, the more I think he's a complete douche.  I quite enjoyed his meltdown at Congressional.

First couple of pages had a lot of quotation marks, but each with different content and nobody really citing him. Most said: "He was basically saying...", which makes me think that it's not entirely unlikely that people put more weight into a quote than was there.

On the later pages, it looked like there had been multiple situations now, which didn't sound unlikely since this thread is on page 19. I wanted to avoid reading through 19 pages to find out what it was about. I do wish the first post of threads like these could contain such information, for those of us who didn't follow the referred thread.

This is the main quote that ruffled peoples feathers

"I don't see a lot of guys that have done that besides Tiger Woods and the legends of the game," Reed said. "I believe in myself, especially with how hard I've worked. I'm one of the top five players in the world. I feel like I've proven myself."

Joe Paradiso

• 2 months later...
Whatever we each think of Reed's arrogance, he seems pretty good for Ryder Cup team spirit. Winning can do that. Hard to tell if he's "gellin'" with other players but it just feels like the Americans are bonding (what the heck do I know just watching from afar?). Anyway, I like how I've seen him conducting himself on the course and for the press.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 3 weeks later...

Reed just won $100k for placing 5th in the Volvo Match Play tournament following the Ryder Cup.   Can anyone explain why he was the only American who qualified or was invited to play in the Volvo?

FWIW, I like his style and hope that he wins a few major tournaments to justify his belief that he's "one of the top 5 players in the world."   See: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/confident-reed-im-top-5-player-world/.

I think you need a some arrogance and a lot of confidence to play competitive golf but, if you're going to make comments like that, you need to be able back it up.  He was certainly one of the top 5 players for the US in the Ryders Cup but to be "one of the top 5 players in the world," he still has a lot of golfing to do to prove that.

I for one wish him luck towards that end.

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

He explained in an interview that he saw the tournament on tele last year and said to his wife that he wanted to play it, so when he was invited he wasted no time accepting. The invite came shortly after the RC. She for her part has been dressed up in red, white and blue all week and parading around with a stars and stripes handbag. He explained that they realised they'd be the focus of attention and so thought that the best thing to do was to embrace it head on. From what I'm observing, they seem to have pulled it off. I'm struggling to believe that other American's weren't invited, so I'm assuming that they turned it down. I'd have thought that Rickie and probably Horschel would have been high on the list, as must have been Jordan. It used to be the case that if you were signed to IMG your chances were enhanced, not sure if that backdoor pass still exists?

Reed had a pretty good week in truth and has developed a bit of a rapport with crowd and media. He explained he was lining up a hush gesture against the crowd in the final group match, but missed the putt!

The initial 'hush' thing (which was puzzlingly described as "controversial" in some quarters) stemmed from him missing that 2 footer on the 16th in the afternoon foursomes. He got a little bit of ribbing on the 1st tee on singles day, and gave a bit back. Then on the seventh he seized his opportunity. I think what could have happened though is that the gallery who he might have been perceived to have been playing to on the seventh, would have been unaware of the background on the first tee

He's been described in the media as a pantomine villian, which roughly translates into someone we pretend not to like, but are secretly quite fond of

Nothing wrong with being confident and letting people know it. Being arrogant would be coming out and saying other guys can't play or something like that and as far as I've read he hasn't done that.

Patrick Reed plays with a confident stride in his walk, I haven't noticed arrogance in him. It was great watching him at the Ryder Cup.

[quote name="Playah" url="/t/73117/patrick-reed-is-he-arrogant/342#post_1067020"]Nothing wrong with being confident and letting people know it. Being arrogant would be coming out and saying other guys can't play or something like that and as far as I've read he hasn't done that.[/quote] I totally agree, I don't see him as being cocky or arrogant but I could see where he is viewed that way by many.... I think he has a real good game

Arrogant or not the US Ryder Cup team needs more players like Reed. Personally I like his attitude.

cubdog

Exactly, I didn't like his Top 5 comment but I thought he was great in the Ryder Cup.  He was our version of Poulter, which we really needed

Joe Paradiso

His stock went up greatly with his Ryder Cup game, and it was cool to see him in the World Match Play, he has skills, there's no doubt about that and I think he'll win a major soon.

If you go to the beginning of this thread, page 1 through 3, then skip to the last couple of pages, it's hilarious how Reed went from being a blowhard to "a great guy".

I'm watching to see when the sand trap genius's do the same with Bubba.

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!