IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

I just listened to a phone interview with Reed, he sounded great and not arrogant, refreshingly clearly spoken and confident in manner, and respectful of other players. He also went on to say why he wore red/black, and was clearly respectful in why, it was without a doubt not an "in your face" tactic..

Thought it may have been somewhat arrogant on his part, but the kid just put together 4 pretty impressive rounds and there seemed to be a shortage of impressive rounds......... Now is he truly top 5....... I don't know...... but if he believes he is...... then good for him, That being said, I personally would much rather see a talented young man who believes in himself, stand up and say what he believes..... than to see clubs and balls being thrown, f bombs dropped or caddies being yelled at after bad shots but that's just me........ Flash in the pan..... maybe but I think not

Lol! So Tiger own like a trademark saying he is the only guy who can do black and red on final day? Hell if I where Reed I would have hit several layers of self taning spray before the finaly day to just wrap it up :) (it aint so easy telling them appart anyeays:)

Lol! So Tiger own like a trademark saying he is the only guy who can do black and red on final day? Hell if I where Reed I would have hit several layers of self taning spray before the finaly day to just wrap it up :) (it aint so easy telling them appart anyeays:)

The poor spelling marries well with the vague racial undertones. Well played Kletus. :doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The poor spelling marries well with the vague racial undertones. Well played Kletus.

Haha

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Haha

[quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/73117/patrick-reed-is-he-arrogant/30#post_961251"] The poor spelling marries well with the vague racial undertones. Well played Kletus. :doh:[/quote] Haha racial? Thinking about the belly measurements.. You can try writing what I wrote using norwegian, then we talk about the spelling :)

Arrogant no. Needs more time to convey that much of an attitude. Brash and confident yes. Might be what we need. I love Phil and Tiger is Tiger but they are on the back nine of their careers. There are many young, talented players out there now but they don't always show the mettle to consistently win and battle the likes of McDowell and Poulter in Ryder Cup play. If he continues like this he may be the one to watch and root for.

~~ I’m sure the top players in the world, past and present would agree that Patrick will one day regret his comment when the golf gods serve up some humble pie!!  Live and Learn

Hi, first time posting,

I don't think Patrick Reed was arrogant. I'm 21, I would probably say something similar since it was just after he won the 3rd time in less than a year, adrenaline is high. Golfers should've more passion after they won a tournament. That's my 2 cents.

I agree with sg92. Patrick Reed made a comment in the heat of the moment, and then we spend days talking about what he said. Why do you need a PR person, just someone else to have their hand in your pocket. If his sponsors think he was over the line they will take care of him. Right now I would say Reed's sponsors are very happy since their golfer is the being talked about on so many forums.For those who are so critical, did you never dream that you sank the putt to win a Major. The winner only has to be one better than the rest of the field, and on Sunday Patrick Reed was.

My old dad used to say so often "Its a poor dog that won't wag his own tail."

I just listened to a phone interview with Reed, he sounded great and not arrogant, refreshingly clearly spoken and confident in manner, and respectful of other players. He also went on to say why he wore red/black, and was clearly respectful in why, it was without a doubt not an "in your face" tactic..

I caught that on Golf Channel too. He acquitted himself quite well. Let's see how he plays and conducts himself over the long haul.  If nothing else, I'm glad an additional story line has been added to the Masters, which will be held in his college hometown :)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Sure he is. I think every athlete that competes at high level/professional level has some sense of entitlement and arrogance. I don't think thats a bad thing either. Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, and Michael Jordan didn't get to the pinnacle of their sport without some selfishness and arrogance.

Obviously Reed isn't anywhere near that level but I sure can't blame him for the confidence or over confidence.

I do have a few issues with it though especially in the world of golf.

Golf is a sport that so often you can come out get hot and play great one week and be slamming your trunk on Friday afternoon the next week. We see so many "flashes in the pan" in golf that its really hard to put your finger on how good a player is until he proves it over a long period of time. Tiger, Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson didn't just climb to the top of the world in a couple of weeks. Its a long journey and one that can't be judged based on a small amount of competitions like Reed's case.

There is a huge difference in being the hottest player in the world or one the 5 hottest players in the world then being a top 5 player. I mean lets be serious how can you even be considered top 20 without ever teeing it up a major championship.

The other issue or thing I find funny about this and his victory yesterday is that he really wasn't pushed much at all on the back 9. No one in the final groups had a good day. Tiger, Dufner, Mahan and the Johnsons all faded. I would have liked to see him be forced to pull driver on 18 and see how he reacted to that. If he had done it with one of those guys coming at him hard similarly to the way Rory did it at Honda in 2012 then maybe his arrogance wouldn't be so misguided. But lets be honest, Reed hung on by the skin of teeth on the back 9 and no one really popped up and made him work.

Lets see what this kid does over the entire course of a season going up against high quality fields and what he can in a few major championships before we declare him anything more than a flash in the pan.

"Obviously Reed isn't anywhere near that level but I sure can't blame him for the confidence or over confidence." - that right there is the reason i have such issues with his comments. Be arrogant, fine, but you better be the elite talent to back it up. He is not there yet.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

What were Johnny Miller's comments about Reed?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

He's cocky, but I don't think he's arrogant. He was answering a question asked of him when he listed his achievements (thoroughly listed, albeit). I'm not a big fan of the posturing that he was doing, but I think to make a snap judgement of a dude over a few interviews is unfair.

More time, more interviews, more time in the public eye. Let's give him time for his personality to come out.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Just listened to a phone interview with Reed on Golf Central and, although he still sounded confident, he had backtracked (or clarified) enough on the subjects in this thread that he didn't come across as arrogant to me.

Callaway Podcast where they talk to Reed about his comments. Just need to listen from 2:50 to about 6:00

https://soundcloud.com/callawaygolf/interview-with-patrick-reed-03-10

Executive summary

- Just won the biggest tournament of his life and he was pumped up.

- His goal is to be one of the best players in the world

- What he really meant by his comments is that if he kept playing the way he's been, he'll become a top 5 player in the world

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

A part of me honestly hopes that he's really arrogant as hell and stays that way, and also keeps winning several times a year and making a spectacle of himself constantly. This game needs some color, people, and I'm not talking skin. Now that the Tiger phenomenon has lost a lot of its momentum, the game is back to being boring as all get-out for the majority of the world, and that includes a very high percentage of diehard sports fans.

The game needs more polarizing figures to generate some buzz. If this cat can supply some, then more power to him. I'd love to have somebody else who I could root against with some passion, relishing his shots that find sand or water and his missed 4-footers. Hoping that Adam Scott doesn't win just because he uses a long putter isn't all that exciting.

John

Note: This thread is 3430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!