IGNORED

Masters 2014 Favorites...

Conrad
Note: This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know if it's been replaced. The Eisenhower tree on 17.

I heard it was lost in a storm.  I don't know how you can replace a 50 foot tree that has been there since the 1950s in one season.  Without it, players may have much more room to approach that green.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of what I was thinking, some will have to re-learn that hole if they've played it before. Also, if they plan to transplant a new tree then it might be a last minute deal due to the weather this year. It would be funny if the course management snuck in on late Wednesday after the practice rounds and planted a 20' tree where the old one was. Should be a good tournament in any case.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I would have Justin Rose a lot higher.  Definitely above Day, DJ and Bubba.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I heard it was lost in a storm.  I don't know how you can replace a 50 foot tree that has been there since the 1950s in one season.  Without it, players may have much more room to approach that green.

That tree was a 50 foot tall lob lolly pine. You are correct in that it was lost in the first of the two February ice storms. Today's players rarely hit that tree because they fire to the right of it and they hit it so long, but occasionally one of them hooks the ball into it.

Rumor's are swirling as to whether they have replaced it. My bet is that it will undoubtedly be re[placed, but whether it can happen for this year I do not know. I'm not an arborist.

As of a month ago, it was not replaced - saw photos from the course from Trevor Immelmann's caddy and all that was on the ground was pine straw. That tree was held together with wire and bolts anyway - it was diseased and was only propped up for the memories. It served no real purpose because for it to be in play, the tee would have to go back as far as the 6th green. Players blow right over the top of it.

Rumour has it they have a lob lolly all ready to be planted for next year though! That's some impressive plantation work right there.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

You can guarantee that they won't plant another tree on the exact spot and will likely move the tree(s) to a spot where they'll influence tee shots -  most say that the Eisenhower tree wasn't much of an obstacle for most modern day players (except TW did have to deal with it a few times over the years).  Aug National will use the opportunity to make #17 tougher.  I'd expect a plaque of some sort be placed to commemorate Ike's tree.

Rick, you might be onto something. Maybe they plant a similar tree but move it farther away from the tee box to bring it more into play.

I would have Justin Rose a lot higher.  Definitely above Day, DJ and Bubba.

Rose is seriously struggling with a shoulder injury, which means that his tee to green game is down trending early in 2014.  When you look at his long hitting, high GIR% game it's perfect for Augusta, but in my opinion this year's event has come far too soon for him. He will drift to 40/1 in the week leading up to the tournament,

You can guarantee that they won't plant another tree on the exact spot and will likely move the tree(s) to a spot where they'll influence tee shots -  most say that the Eisenhower tree wasn't much of an obstacle for most modern day players (except TW did have to deal with it a few times over the years).  Aug National will use the opportunity to make #17 tougher.  I'd expect a plaque of some sort be placed to commemorate Ike's tree.

This makes a ton of sense.

This would actually be a devent time of year if they were to transplant a tree into that spot. The coolor temperatures and not peak sunshine yet would make it much easier to keep the tree alive through the transplant process.

I've done many transplants in my line of work, and seen many done as well but I would find it hard to believe that they could get a tree of similar size into that spot. Maybe something more along the lines of 25-35 feet would be more likely. The root structure of a 50+ foot tall tree would be hard pressed to survive a transplant. Plus the tree would have to be wired into the ground to give it stability.

I mean knowing all the state of the art stuff Augusta does with its landscaping on the grounds it wouldn't shock me. They could throw any sort of money at a private contractor who could undertake the job. I think it'd be more likely they'd attempt it after the summer heat with it going into fall and winter.

Henrik Stenson's game is rounding back into form just in time.  I like his game on this track.  Think he has a great shot.  It is also just a matter of time before Jason Day wins at Augusta.  He has incredible touch around the greens and just bombs his drives.  Those 2 are my favorites.

• Administrator
http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02428.html

Whoever wins, better be on his game, putting-wise.

Why do you say that?

Other parts of the game matter more than putting, even to the winners of events. Augusta National is a second-shot golf course - proper and good ball-striking relieves a lot of pressure from your putting. Knowing where to place the ball - and being able to do so - matters quite a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02428.html

Whoever wins, better be on his game, putting-wise.

I think the winner of any event is typically on their game in general, not just one aspect of their game. What good will putting do if they're not hitting tee and approach shots that the course "forces". Take Azalea for example. You're not going into Augusta and playing your comfortable/natural shot shape. Azalea forces a hard draw and players get into a lot of trouble here. That's one small example. I hate to be generic, or be "that guy", but seriously the winner will need to be playing very well-rounded golf in general.

Augusta National rewards players who are strong putters.  History shows a lot of great players who failed to win the Green Jacket because they didn't putt well (Nick Price, Greg Norman).

Sure, but general great play on the course is what provided those opportunities on the green - correct? I personally don't think you can win unless you're performing well in all aspects of your game. Missing a "winning putt" can't be classified as bad putting. That's just one unfortunate misread, or one bad putt.

Note: This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!