IGNORED

My Swing (mpb1472)

mpb1472
Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been reading and viewing many of the videos that you guys offer advise on. I would love a little of that for me. In the videos I have posted I am trying some things that may or may not be advisable or good for me. Keeping my front foot flat on the ground, ball forward in stance, more even stance, takeaway with shoulders. All things I don't normally do. This was an indoor session during a long winter of not playing or hitting balls. Please feel free to critique.

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 86-88

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push/fade

Videos:

Not sure if I did this correctly. I tried to find a way to copy and paste my swing from vimeo. Please scold and educate if you must.

Thanks.

Down the line view here.

Just a general tip, for us non teachers especially it's easier to pick things out if you post slow motion versions too.  It's easy to load into iMovie and make a clip that's the full speed version followed by a copy that's 1/4 speed.  Don't know about Windows.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a general tip, for us non teachers especially it's easier to pick things out if you post slow motion versions too.  It's easy to load into iMovie and make a clip that's the full speed version followed by a copy that's 1/4 speed.  Don't know about Windows.

Even easier than that - at least if you're using an iphone - is an idea I got from @cipher ... Download a free app called "splice" and you can easily and quickly splice raw videos together, make them slow motion, even add effects if you want, and also upload it quickly to youtube.

• Administrator

Sorry this is quick - I'm a bit slammed today, but I'd:

• Flare your feet.
  • Narrow your stance a bit (wide stances inhibit the next thing…)
  • Work on Key #2 things at http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php
  • Scratch that, watch this video:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry this is quick - I'm a bit slammed today, but I'd:

Flare your feet.

Narrow your stance a bit (wide stances inhibit the next thing…)

Work on Key #2 things at http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

Scratch that, watch this video:

Yep @mpb1472 narrow up the stance, turn the feet out more and watch that video.

Since you asked me to take a look I'll just add a couple pics.

At set-up, heels are are inline or just outside the hips.

This is what the video deals with. Would recommend starting to do this slowly. Make many practice swings where you're turned about 90 degrees by the time the left arm is parallel to the ground. The stance change will help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thank you very much for the advice. I will work on that and hopefully report back with some good results. Very impressed with all the efforts to assist here.

• 3 weeks later...
Been working on the drill. I assume it's to help acquire a better shoulder turn in the backswing. Winter I think has come to an end and I now can golf yeah!! I have a question in the full swing should I strive to keep the left heel planted in the backswing?

Been working on the drill. I assume it's to help acquire a better shoulder turn in the backswing. Winter I think has come to an end and I now can golf yeah!! I have a question in the full swing should I strive to keep the left heel planted in the backswing?

I would focus more on the things we recommended. If you do your pieces well and the heel comes off the ground, it comes off, not a big deal IMO. You just don't want the heel coming off because the hips aren't turning and the hips are moving right, which I think may have been happening.

So to review:

- Make sure the feet aren't too wide

- Turn the feet out

- Turn the hips more early

Mike McLoughlin

• 7 months later...
iacas and mvmac, I did work on the setup you advised and had my best ball striking season with irons. It was a tougher to adhere to when I used a driver though. I'll be honest reverting back to an old habit may have felt better ( left foot straight/ right foot flared open)trying to hit a draw. Although, I reported in the foot flare thread some success,topping the ball did happen a little more than I liked. Thanks again for your help.

• Administrator

iacas and mvmac,

I did work on the setup you advised and had my best ball striking season with irons. It was a tougher to adhere to when I used a driver though. I'll be honest reverting back to an old habit may have felt better ( left foot straight/ right foot flared open)trying to hit a draw. Although, I reported in the foot flare thread some success,topping the ball did happen a little more than I liked. Thanks again for your help.

There was a little more to the advice than just setup stuff. :)

You should update this thread with some new swings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Seeing the same kind of thing as my last post in this thread. You need to turn your feet out more at address and turn more earlier. This is the top of your backswing and you can see how it's short of 90°.

56a3c1ceecabb_ScreenShot2016-01-23at10.0

Mike McLoughlin

I see. Feel is not what you think is real in my case. I felt and thought I was turning more. Got more work to do. Thanks, been keeping up with what you proposed and will continue.

10 hours ago, mpb1472 said:

I have one question. When you flare out your front foot even more does it limit your ability even more to turn in the backswing? You want my hips to turn more . 

Too much flare can limit your turn. Here's what I suggest for the right amount for both feet.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!