IGNORED

Hit Ping's new i25 irons - WOW!

amac
Note: This thread is 3668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit a friends new set of Ping i25 irons this past weekend.  If you haven't hit these clubs, I suggest you check them out.  If you are looking to buy new clubs this year, I suggest you check them out.  Yes, I am endorsing these clubs.  If I hadn't purchased new irons last year, I would certainly consider these to go in my bag.

I only hit one iron, that's all it took.  I was hitting my Mizuno MP64 9 iron pretty flush down range.  I grabbed my buddies i25 9 iron and flew it easily 10 yards past where my pile of range balls were.  WOW.  I proceeded to hit shot after shot to the same spot - 10 yards past my club.  I then grabbed my club and hit it to the same, shorter spot where my previous shots were going.  Yes, the Ping irons are longer.

The look and feel of the club is what you would expect from Ping.  I owned a set of Eye2's back in the day and gamed those clubs for nearly 10 years. The i25's bring back fond memories.  The set up is nice - not too offset.  The topline is definitely thicker than my Mizuno's, but not like a super GI club.  The ball flight was higher.  The ball picked up quick and then sailed forever.  My Mizuno hits a lower trajectory shot.  The feel at impact is sweet.  Not grain flow forged sweet, but you know you hit the center by the sweet sensation shooting up the shaft into your hands.  The sound at impact was, for me, more clank and clack versus my forged iron, but YMMV.  I checked out the rest of the set.  The longer irons were progressively larger and thus more forgiving.  Personally, that was the main drawback for me.  I prefer a more aggressive look.  I'm not ready to trade in my Mizuno's just yet, but the performance of the i25's is noteworthy.  In all, these clubs looked and felt great.

Trying to get at the root of the distance gain, I checked out his personal setup and the loft comparison's of our 9irons.  First, the Ping is 1* stronger.  Next, he had his irons fitted 1/2 inch longer than standard.  He used the Regular flex shaft, but tipped them.  Would that plus the 1* equal 10 yards?  Finally, there is Ping's technology.  They claim to have made the face of these clubs "more lively".  I guess they did!  If distance is your thing, you should certainly check out these new irons.  Enjoy.

amac

• Upvote 1

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

Trying to get at the root of the distance gain, I checked out his personal setup and the loft comparison's of our 9irons.  First, the Ping is 1* stronger.  Next, he had his irons fitted 1/2 inch longer than standard.  He used the Regular flex shaft, but tipped them.  Would that plus the 1* equal 10 yards?  Finally, there is Ping's technology.  They claim to have made the face of these clubs "more lively".  I guess they did!  If distance is your thing, you should certainly check out these new irons.  Enjoy.

I would guess they go farther because they launch higher with the right amount of spin (for you). Could be a combo of the CoG location of the head with the firm regular shaft. So even though you can hit the MP 64's solid, you might not be getting the most out of them due to the lower launch angle with possibly not enough spin.

Also the shafts could be lighter, if you have S300's in your MP 64 irons and he had PING CFS shafts, those are about 20 grams lighter.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would guess they go farther because they launch higher with the right amount of spin (for you). Could be a combo of the CoG location of the head with the firm regular shaft. So even though you can hit the MP 64's solid, you might not be getting the most out of them due to the lower launch angle with possibly not enough spin.

Also the shafts could be lighter, if you have S300's in your MP 64 irons and he had PING CFS shafts, those are about 20 grams lighter.

I have the ProjX 5.5 in my irons and I think his shafts were lighter.  I knew I wasn't buying a distance iron when I purchased my MP64's.  The grass will always appear greener when it comes to golf clubs.  Just when you think you have your bag just right, an easier to hit, higher launching, lower spin longer version of the same club is released.  Same guy had the newer version of Ping hybrid.  I have the i15's and he has the i20's.  After swinging his, the shafts felt better, the impact felt more solid and the ball flight was straighter!

I have the ProjX 5.5 in my irons and I think his shafts were lighter.  I knew I wasn't buying a distance iron when I purchased my MP64's. ...

Building on what @mvmac said, you're dealing with shafts with different characteristics.

Shaft

FCM

Weight

Tip

BendPt

PX 5.5

115 gr

Med-Firm

Mid-Hi

CFS Reg

??

99 gr

Medium

Medium

CFS Stiff

??

109 gr

Medium

Medium

?? = Conflicting information

FCM = Frequency Coefficient Matching - used to compare shaft flexes across different shaft models and mfgrs.

The PX 5.5 is firmer, heavier, and has lower launch characteristics and stiffer tip than CFS. (Using the generic Regular and Stiff terms, PX plays the stiffest to flex of any major steel shaft. The PX 5.5 actually has a higher FCM than the S300 (FCM = 5.8).)

The CFS has variously been described as average flex to light to flex.

I tried the R.flex CFS in both the i25 and G25 at a recent Ping demo day. I have about 85 MPH clubhead speed with driver, and the CFS was impressive. Although the i25 felt good, the G25 went about 8 yards longer, and higher. I switched back and forth between the i25 and G25 to lessen warm-up and fatigue effects.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Building on what @mvmac said, you're dealing with shafts with different characteristics.

Shaft

FCM

Weight

Tip

BendPt

PX 5.5

115 gr

Med-Firm

Mid-Hi

CFS Reg

??

99 gr

Medium

Medium

CFS Stiff

??

109 gr

Medium

Medium

FCM = Frequency Coefficient Matching - used to compare shaft flexes across different shaft models and mfgrs.

The PX 5.5 is firmer, heavier, and has lower launch characteristics and stiffer tip than CFS. (Using the generic Regular and Stiff terms, PX plays the stiffest to flex of any major steel shaft. The PX 5.5 actually has a higher FCM than the S300 (FCM = 5.8).)

I tried the R.flex CFS in both the i25 and G25 at a recent Ping demo day. I have about 85 MPH clubhead speed with driver, and the CFS was impressive. Although the i25 felt good, the G25 went about 8 yards longer, and higher. I switched back and forth between the i25 and G25 to lessen warm-up and fatigue effects.

So did you end up getting the i or g 25's?

Building on what @mvmac said, you're dealing with shafts with different characteristics.

Shaft

FCM

Weight

Tip

BendPt

PX 5.5

115 gr

Med-Firm

Mid-Hi

CFS Reg

??

99 gr

Medium

Medium

CFS Stiff

??

109 gr

Medium

Medium

I'm sure this is important, relevant information, but I have no idea what all this means!  LOL.  The Mizuno swing "optimizer" suggested PX5.5 and KBS Tour.  I hit them both and felt better with the PX.  It's near impossible to keep up with technology in golf clubs.  That and finding a fitter that would take the time to ask a few questions like, "What do you want to get out of your irons - more distance, shot control, higher ball flight, etc…"  I guess I'll focus on my swing technique and get lessons to gain the extra 10 yards instead of buying new clubs. ;-)

So did you end up getting the i or g 25's?

The G25s would be on the short list - gets the ball up higher and longer. Same thing I saw last year with Callaway. I was actually able to hit the X Forged with decent shots, but the X.Hot Pro went a club farther.

The Cleveland TT seems to work nice, with the TRaction R-flex shaft, although it's a bit light.

I may get my X20 Tours reshafted - I have a demo 6i, which I had reshafted in NS Pro 8950 Rflex. Had a side-by-side yesterday with my current 6i, shafted in PX 5.0 - went to the 160 yd. area on the front nine holes, dropped some balls, and hit 2 each with NS and PX. Lighter NS (95 grams, and has about same profile as CFS Rflex) hit the ball higher and a full club longer - even into a 20 MPH headwind.

I'm going to "test drive" the Bridgestone J40 dual pocket cavity irons: for a month, I get 2x2 test set: 5i and 9i in NS Pro 1090 R, and 5i and 9i in DG R300 SL (superlight). I'll do a similar 170 yard and 130 yard tests to see how other lightweight steel shafts work out.

I want to decide in a month or so - I need to have the new irons solution zeroed in by mid-May.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

CFS is a good shaft. I like it, feels similar to a KBS Tour.

"What do you want to get out of your irons - more distance, shot control, higher ball flight, etc…"  I guess I'll focus on my swing technique and get lessons to gain the extra 10 yards instead of buying new clubs.

Well you shouldn't have to choose just one ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well you shouldn't have to choose just one

To become a club hopper would make me one of "those" people!  LOL.  No, I am going to learn to hit what I have to the best of my ability.  I have my 3rd lesson lined up with Manzella (our relationship is much better since my first, so is my swing) and will continue to work with him on building my swing.  What's more, the wife and two children are expensive!  If only I had a Pro's budget for golf equipment. :w00t:

Note: This thread is 3668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!