IGNORED

Who will represent the US Olympic team in golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think US can field 4 players each for men & women's competition based on info below.  Who do you think will bubble up to make the team, come July 11, 2016?

Qualification

Qualification will be based on world ranking as of July 11, 2016, with a total of 60 players qualifying in each of the men's and women's events. The top 15 players of each gender will qualify, with a limit of four golfers per country that can qualify this way.The remaining 45 spots will go the highest-ranked players from countries that do not already have two golfers qualified.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I couldn't pick a favorite this early. Lately it seems like anybody can win on the PGA tour. Americans that were hot last year are struggling this year. The up and comers are getting better and the old guard seems fixated on abbreviated schedules with their crosshairs on majors. Some of the noobs the press gushes about one week miss the cut by 10 strokes the next. Not sure I could even pick a Ryder Cup team at this point.

Dave :-)

LOL - we are 856 days from the OWGR date ... That's a long time ...

But, its fun to project and look back to this post in 2+ years ...

I'm going with:

Dustin Johnson

Patrick Reed

Jordan Spieth

& somebody we've never heard of before ...

Just throwing it out there ...

Rob

My sure bet is Jordan Spieth.  For the other 3, I don't know.   Even Tiger can fall in ranking (or even retire).

For women, Lewis is a sure bet IMO.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Is there any reason why amateurs would not be eligible for the team? Olympic sport always used to be this way.

On the other hand, could any pros fit the Olympics around their tour schedule anyway? The Open is close to that date - I would think most top pros would want to play in that rather than an Olympic format.

Is there any reason why amateurs would not be eligible for the team? Olympic sport always used to be this way.

On the other hand, could any pros fit the Olympics around their tour schedule anyway? The Open is close to that date - I would think most top pros would want to play in that rather than an Olympic format.

Per the Olympic qualification rule, if an amateur is ranked high enough, he/she is qualified.   For men, that will be very difficult.  For women, it is possible as Lydia Ko and other amateur players have proven.   She was ranked in top 10 in the world as an amateur although she turned pro since then.

Based on what I hear so far, almost every player will die for a chance to represent their country in the Olympics.   There are 4 grand slam events per year.  Olympic happens once every 4 years, and making it to the team will be a rare feat in itself.   It was the same for Tennis when pros were allowed to compete in the Olympics.  Top tennis pros represent their countries, and were very emotional about their participation.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

They'll rearrange the schedule that year to fit it in.

The quality of the field will be poor though, as it stands now 65 of the top 100 in the World wouldn't be there, that's assuming that there is maximum representation from GB & I - 2 Englishmen & Welshmen for GB∋, 2 Irishmen (Rory & G-mac) and 2 for Scotland (assuming independence) - this could be 3 instead of 6 - Rory & GMac pick UK & no Scottish independence.

I thought Olympics were going to be separate from the pros, that's disappointing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I thought Olympics were going to be separate from the pros, that's disappointing.

I agree. They should apply the amateur rule in the strictest sense in this scenario. No Tiger, no Furyk, no McIlroy...all amateur up and comers. Of course, I'm Canadian so I have  a vested interest in limiting the US' ability to run away with it...

Some how I don't think DeLaet, Weir and Ames are gonna get'er done... :-(

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't think there's any realistic prospect that Scotland are going to vote for independence. The opinion polls suggest they won't, and I speak to Scots on a daily basis (admittedly from the more conservative leaning golf community) and am yet to encounter anyone who wants independence (or admits it). Come to think of it, the greater advocacy I've heard for Scottish independence tends to come from South East England!

Rory has a bit of an issue though, as I understand it as he's qualified for either team. If he plays for GB one community will turn on him, if he plays for Ireland, the other will

Last I knew he was veering towards the pragmatic decision and not taking part in a tournament which is hardly that important to him, and which could have ramifications beyond if he's seen endorse one country/ religion/ or political philosophy over the other.

I would imagine Poulter would fancy sunning himself in Rio though and he'd be an obvious candidate.

Personally I'm of the view that Olympics should be the pinnacle of achievement in the respective sport that it plays, as it is for track and field and a few other events. If the sport concerned has a higher accolade available to it, then I'm far from convinced the Olympics should host it as a professional sport. So I would include golf, tennis, and football in the list of sports that shouldn't be rostered.

Agree with all your points! I'm from Northern Ireland & it's as somewhere that no matter the decision taken, someone feels put out. I had to add mile when I read your c.f. comment about Mr Poulter! The Olympics should be the pinnacle of that sport - it clearly isn't with golf so shouldn't be rostered. I'd be keen to know the IOC's reasoning for including it.

Tiger

DJ

ZJ

Phil

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Patrick Reed, because as a self-proclaimed top 5 player in the world today he will continue his dominance of the PGA tour and rise to take the #1 ranking. (PS - did you know he went 6-0 in NCAA match play)

just follow @patrickreedsego on twitter for more interesting "facts"

Okay - really it is about 750 days too early to tell; but best guess would be

Spieth

DJ

Webb

Walker

and

Creamer

Thompson

Kerr

Pressel

another question is how many of the top 20 or 30 in the OWGR/Rolex will not qualify for the Olympics?

Players play, tough players win!

For women, I like Korda & Wie's chances.   Lewis is my sure candidate.

Tiger?   Only if he stays healthy.   Seems like his body has been breaking down over the years (knee, now back).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The schedules are out. The Open is July 10-17 2016, and the Olympics are August 5-21. The exact dates for golf have not been listed. It will be a good summer with the US Open in June, Open in July, and Olympics in August.

I agree with everyone else, its too early to tell. That said, my picks would be:

Tiger - I think he will find a way. This is an event that even he would like to play (my perception). It was like Kobe in basketball - even with age and injury this is an event that guys just want to play.

DJ

Other two unknown, possibly Spieth, but other than him I think the other two could really be anyone at this point.

The schedules are out. The Open is July 10-17 2016, and the Olympics are August 5-21. The exact dates for golf have not been listed. It will be a good summer with the US Open in June, Open in July, and Olympics in August.

I agree with everyone else, its too early to tell. That said, my picks would be:

Tiger - I think he will find a way. This is an event that even he would like to play (my perception). It was like Kobe in basketball - even with age and injury this is an event that guys just want to play.

DJ

Other two unknown, possibly Spieth, but other than him I think the other two could really be anyone at this point.

And they're cramming the PGA Championship into that tiny window between the British Open and the Olympics.  It is going to be a very busy 5 weeks for the guys on the Olympic teams. :)

The takeover of Olympic hockey by the pros is why I no longer watch it. The problem in the days of Olympic "amateur hockey" was that the Soviet Army team, which played in the Olympics, was for all practical purposes a pro team.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!