IGNORED

Lowering Ball Flight

Note: This thread is 3690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had a very high ball flight pretty much since I've been playing golf and I think I'm finally at the point where I'd like to try and lower it. I think it will give me more options on the course.

I was using a R9 10.5 Stiff Shaft and closed the face as much as I could go. This helped a little but I'm sure there is a way I could change the height with tweaking my swing or swing path. I feel like I'm losing distance as I don't get very much roll and it totally affects my game when it's windy.

This is the same for all my clubs, I'm happy with the height for my wedges and short irons but would like to lower it for my woods, hybrids and long irons.

I've just upgraded my driver to a R1 8.5 Stiff Shaft. At the store they told me I had a swing speed of 105-107mph and my height would range from 14.5 - 18 depending on how well I hit the shot. I know I do have a tendency not fully transfer my weight forward and finish on my back foot. My ball flight is definitely higher when I do that but even with a proper weight transfer it's still quite high.

Does anyone have any ideas on ways to correct this?

In my bag:

R1 Taylor Made Driver

R11 Taylor Made 3 Wood

3 & 4 Taylor Made Burner Hybrids

PW - 4 Nike Machspeed Forged Irons

or

PW - 4 Mizuno MP-32 Irons (depending on how I'm feeling)

52,56,60 Mizuno Wedges

White Ice Odyssy Putter

Nike RZN Balls

I've just upgraded my driver to a R1 8.5 Stiff Shaft. At the store they told me I had a swing speed of 105-107mph and my height would range from 14.5 - 18 depending on how well I hit the shot. I know I do have a tendency not fully transfer my weight forward and finish on my back foot. My ball flight is definitely higher when I do that but even with a proper weight transfer it's still quite high.

Does anyone have any ideas on ways to correct this?

You nailed it right there. If your weight is not forward at impact then you'll end up compensating with your hands. This causes a flip at the ball, which adds loft.

True, even if you still transfer weight, you can still lack enough forward hands at impact to get the right trajectory.

For more detail help, I recommend video taping your swing and creating your own My Swing thread, here, http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Here are some guidelines on how to video tape your swing and set up your My Swing thread,

http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

Some basic Video instructor to get you started in the mean time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Matt!

Thanks for those videos. I'll have to try those exercises on the range. I think I may bend my wrist a little when I shoot so that would be something to keep in mind.

I'll post a video once I get a chance to either hit the range or clear some snow so I can actually swing my driver.

In my bag:

R1 Taylor Made Driver

R11 Taylor Made 3 Wood

3 & 4 Taylor Made Burner Hybrids

PW - 4 Nike Machspeed Forged Irons

or

PW - 4 Mizuno MP-32 Irons (depending on how I'm feeling)

52,56,60 Mizuno Wedges

White Ice Odyssy Putter

Nike RZN Balls

I also launch the ball very high - I recently had a lesson with video analysis and realized I was bending by left arm at impact and adding loft to the club ...

Note: This thread is 3690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!