IGNORED

suddenly snap hooking/pulling?

Note: This thread is 3666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right guys, bit of an odd one,

Swing background - always been a push slice/block swinger,.....mostly due to a flat swing way on the inside with flat shoulders and open face at impact,.......

after numerous lessons and watching videos of my swing (afraid i dont have one on my works computer i can shar) I have significantly changed my club path to being more upright and on plane, my shoulder angles are much much improved, clubface im not sure one if im honest

the result for the last 4-5 rounds has been much better contact, much straighter shots with the occasional snap hook off the tee with my driver,

ive been down the range the last few weeks as not been on course but now the hook as introduced itself to everyclub in my bag,...(im hitting off mats i dunno if that has any effect at all?)

So ive checked my grip and both hand "v's" point between my chin/shoulder, so ive sorta ruled that out,

i've noticed im hitting behind the ball quite alot also, so ive focused on turning within myself more to stop swaying off the ball as much and its helped but instead of a snap hook/hook its now a 40 yard straight draw,

the only thing ive found that lessens this shot shape is from the top of the backswing, i shift the weight forwards and feel like i whip my hands through and forget about the shoulders, although this makes it feel like im swinging really fast at the ball,.......and not knowing to much about the mechanics of the swing perhaps this is the correct feeling? all the instruction i read say to forget the hands and arms, let the torso/shoulder drag them through, i tried this to no avail really

any help dissecting this would be much appreciated (apologies for any spelling mistakes, im typing whilst in work so having to be quick as not to get busted!!!)

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Get a video up when you can. Someone could explain what a causes a snap hook, but giving you a tip wouldn't be good because its something you are going to have to work out yourself by changing the image on the video. Basically we have no clue what YOU are doing with out seeing it happen. So we can't give you good advice.

In general terms a snap hook is an extreme hook spin caused by a wide angle difference between the clubpath and clubface. Sounds to me that your new swing path hasn't changed your inside to out swing path much, and you are turning that very open clubface into a square clubface, probably to a slightly closed one. This would cause a snap hook.

Again post a video and you'll get some very smart people looking at your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Possibly, I know the inside out swing can cause it, but also the inside inside swing with a closed face also, ive booked a lesson for tonight but just wondered if anyone had experienced the same,

the hooks have only occured since changing swing path and shoulder plan as i said before i was way inside out and flat causing a block slice

Possibly, I know the inside out swing can cause it, but also the inside inside swing with a closed face also, ive booked a lesson for tonight but just wondered if anyone had experienced the same,

the hooks have only occured since changing swing path and shoulder plan as i said before i was way inside out and flat causing a block slice

Well inside to out is just the direction of the club at impact. EVERY swing is on an arc, so at some point the clubhead has to go back in and up in the finish. It gets tricky with over the top moves. The clubhead usually goes in and up then loops and goes out and down to the ball, but still comes back to in and up in the finish. For a lets say a guy like Fowler who does the opposite. His clubhead still goes in and up, but on a much less severe path, then it goes more in and down, but still after the strike it goes in and up into the finish.

Hooks occur do to a wide degree of difference between face to path. Basically if your path is lets say +6 degrees to the right at impact, and your face is -1 degree closed, then you have a 7 degree change. That would not be good. You want to get that face to be about +4 degrees. That would be a good push draw.

Depends on yours swing path though. If you are very excessive from the inside, you probably want to get it less inside. Its REALLY tough to maintain a very open clubface. This is why I was kinda skeptical you were saying push slices. That is a very uncommon flight path. Most slicers are pull slicers. You might get what looks like a push slice, which might actually be a pure push block to the right.

Yea, try to get a video up.

Most likely if you are hitting snap hooks, its because your clubface is very closed to your inside swing path. Fixing it might not be as simple as opening the club face. Some swing faults can cause a closed face, like not getting your weight forward at impact. Yep, post a video. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

when I start hooking it ... I just slow it down & go back to the beginning.      Take slightly less than full power swings & really focus on the backswing tempo & I can always reel it back in & stop the hooks.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Yea, like @saevel25 said, get some video up for us to check out.

Here are a couple quick fix tips though:

1) You say you hit it better when you just focus on bringing your arms down and not turning your shoulders. Who knows if that's what you're actually doing (as feel isn't real) but if you are actually doing that, then I would keep using this feel. If the left shoulder gets too high, you can swing too much from the inside. You can also hit it fat with the divot starting slightly from the inside too.

2) Hooking the ball simply means the face is too closed relative to the path and sometimes the target. Since there's no video to work with, I can really only offer this basic suggestion, which is an easy quick fix: Cup (dorsiflex) your lead wrist more on your backswing to open the face up. You'll probably end up fighting pushes instead of hooks by doing this... but in my experience, it's easier to score fighting a push than it is fighting a hook.

But yea, get swing vids. I'm grasping at straws here. :-D

when I start hooking it ... I just slow it down & go back to the beginning.

True.

Constantine

i tried slowing down, a big problem of miine is trying to leather it, but the slower i go the more i hook,...weird lol

will try to get a video up, not sure how to do it from iphone as cant get video on works computer

If you don't have a stable shoulder, you could be putting much tension on your wrists, so they might not work as you need.

At address flip the club around, toe down, because its easy to track, and trace a nice circle to your right shoulder, your right arm folds nicely to your body,

giving a great support, and easy tension on your wrists.

This video at 7.00 shows this.

Well had my lesson and the pro thinks im getting quick in the transition and not clearing my body properly and im flipping at impact to compensate The problem is when i try to slow the transition down i just slow everything down so i have the same problem and still hook But the harder i turn the better the contact and leas hookey more draw or slight fade, problem with the though is my long clubs are slicing when i do that which isnt ideal

Well had my lesson and the pro thinks im getting quick in the transition and not clearing my body properly and im flipping at impact to compensate

The problem is when i try to slow the transition down i just slow everything down so i have the same problem and still hook

But the harder i turn the better the contact and leas hookey more draw or slight fade, problem with the though is my long clubs are slicing when i do that which isnt ideal

Thinks, or does he know? Just asking. Did he just stand there and look at your swing and go, "I think its this?" I can say its very hard to discern much from a swing just form the naked eye.

Try to get a video posted and get some feedback from some of us on the site here.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

He looked at my swing for a number of shots, could see my grip was fine, plane was fine, but noticed my transition was quick and i was getting stuck and flipping at the ball My problem is the swing and release has never felt natural to me its always felt manipulated in some way probably because of previous swing faults Just need to find a tempo that works so he reckons Ill try and post a video

This link should take you to a video http://s855.photobucket.com/user/jamesr4300/media/32171982-EC01-4628-B3C7-DF32D02DE3F7_zpstrcm3dqg.mp4.html

I find that since I change from overlap/ten fingered to interlock I dont snap hook as much.

It seems to limit my hands from turning too quickly. I can still hook the ball with interlock but its more controlled, if anything I can get more of a pull hook sometimes duck hook  rather than a snap hook .

This link should take you to a video

http://s855.photobucket.com/user/jamesr4300/media/32171982-EC01-4628-B3C7-DF32D02DE3F7_zpstrcm3dqg.mp4.html

Please create your own thread there with the title being "My Swing (carpediem4300)"

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

You'll get more responses about your swing if you create your own swing thread.

Also get off photobucket. I can't get a video to embed from there. So It makes it a pain to view the video on another website. Youtube works better, then you can just copy and paste the youtube video link into the embed video feature the forum has. Its the little icon next to the emoticon icon.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Youtube Embedding Another thread To be honest its to much hassle

Youtube

Embedding

Another thread

To be honest its to much hassle

Sorry if I seem like I am being picky, yet there is a section on this forum dedicated for swings. One it keeps the forum clean, and it also allows you as a member here to keep tabs of your swing. It is a great resource for you as well. Look at it as a golf swing diary, were you can see your progress and look up old things that might start to creep back into your swing. Now lets say you didn't have your own swing thread, you would have to search for every thread you created to try to find the post you want. Just saying, it benefits both you and the forum to create your own swing thread.

Also, embedding the video is a courtesy towards those of us who want to view and review your swing. I tried to embedded the video from photobucket but it wont do it. You can use Youtube or any other service that allows you to embedded the video. Or you could just post the link and hopefully people wont be bothered by having to switch between two screens while they write up a critique on the swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Lol wasnt suggesting you were, merely pointing out its a lot of hassle Especiallybeing an iphone only user its alot harder but i guess thats my issue not your guys

Lol wasnt suggesting you were, merely pointing out its a lot of hassle

Especiallybeing an iphone only user its alot harder but i guess thats my issue not your guys

Ah, yea, cell phones would make it annoying. Though you might want to PM @iacas . He is the MAC guru when it comes to this forum :-D

I do not use the so called iphone. :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!