IGNORED

Sue pro for errant golf ball?

joekelly
Note:Β This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Tiger playedΒ poorly and twice hit a spectator with his golf ball. Β If someone was injured badly, could the injured spectator sue for damages, distress, lost income,Β etc? Β Tiger signed two gloves which is hardly compensation.

If i hit someone with my golf ball i am liable for damage or injuries. Are the pros protected by some law or tradition? Β Do you think individuals carry insurance or all are covered by someΒ PGA umbrella coverage?

What about in baseball or hockey? Β Hit Β by a foul line drive or flying puck and get your teeth knocked out willΒ cost plenty and may easily find a lawyer.

I know at least when you go to MLB games, they tickets say that you are there at your own risk. They also constantly tell you to stay alert, surely to cover themselves. I'd be very surprised if the PGA Tour doesn't have some sort of "at your own risk" policy as well.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not an attorney, but I imagine that unless the pro was found to be willfully negligent, then getting hit is a risk that any spectator assumes when they step onto a golf course. Honestly, I can't imagine a scenario where a professional golfer would reasonably be found liable for spectator injuries. The closest I can come is John Daly teeing off into a crowded grandstand (I can't find the video on Youtube, but I saw it somewhere on old sports program), but even he successfully pulled off the shot, and it sailed harmlessly over everyone's head.

That said, in this litigious country of ours, any moron can sue for any reason, so I would definitely buy a personal umbrella policy if I were a pro.

I'm not an attorney, but I imagine that unless the pro was found to be willfully negligent, then getting hit is a risk that any spectator assumes when they step onto a golf course. Honestly, I can't imagine a scenario where a professional golfer would reasonably be found liable for spectator injuries. The closest I can come is John Daly teeing off into a crowded grandstand (I can't find the video on Youtube, but I saw it somewhere on old sports program), but even he successfully pulled off the shot, and it sailed harmlessly over everyone's head.

That said, in this litigious country of ours, any moron can sue for any reason, so I would definitely buy a personal umbrella policy if I were a pro.

Yeah, back in '93, in Portland, Oregon during a clinic. I don't know if there is video of this but I read about it in his (terribly written)Β auto-biography. The book is pretty sad as he just comes across as totally full of shit.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I would think not. But for me it raises an interesting point. Why are the pros so lax in pointing out where the ball is heading? Every week you see pros hitting an errant tee shot that's heading for the crowd and they don't even so much as point.

Colin P.

But for me it raises an interesting point. Why are the pros so lax in pointing out where the ball is heading? Every week you see pros hitting an errant tee shot that's heading for the crowd and they don't even so much as point.

On tee shots, they don't really have the full attention of the people in the fairway landing area to begin with ... it's just too far away. Β Further, anybody who is paying attention to them is watching the ball, so once it's hit, there aren't really any eyes on them anyway.

I know at least when you go to MLB games, they tickets say that you are there at your own risk. They also constantly tell you to stay alert, surely to cover themselves.

I'd be very surprised if the PGA Tour doesn't have some sort of "at your own risk" policy as well.

Yeah, baseball tickets (and PA announcers, and signs in the parks) make it pretty clear that you are "at your own risk" when at a game. Β There is no suing for getting smacked by a foul ball because you weren't paying attention. Β (Unless, perhaps, you were sitting behind a screen that broke or something)

I don't have any old PGA tour tickets lying around, but I would bet that they have a similar disclaimer written on them somewhere.

As others have said, as a ticket holder you enter at your own risk and indemnify the course, golfers, etc from any legal action due to injury that is not considered negligent or intentional.Β  That said, you can bring a lawsuit against anyone and hope the defendant prefers to settle rather than go through the hassle of a court trial.Β  I could see some idiot claiming the Tiger intentionally aimed forΒ the spectators on the right to avoid going into the water on the left.

The guy that got hit in the head by Tigers ball was messed up pretty bad, they just showed a quick shot of him, but his face was covered in blood.Β  Maybe they should hand out bike helmets.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I don't have any old PGA tour tickets lying around, but I would bet that they have a similar disclaimer written on them somewhere.

I think I commented to someone about that at the L.A. Open a few weeks ago... so I'm 99% sure they say that. I'll look for my tickets tomorrow if people want a full confirmation.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

It always amazes me when people get hit at the courses during tournaments. Β You are at a golf course! Pay Attention!

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It always amazes me when people get hit at the courses during tournaments. Β You are at a golf course! Pay Attention!

I would think someone could be paying attention and still get hit. Maybe they lose track of the ball? Or can't move fast enough?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the entity that's most likely to be sued successfully is the Tour or event organizers that are responsible for crowd control instead of a player. Sometimes the "ropes" that hold back the crowds along each side of the fairway are definitely nowhere close to far enough back to keep the spectators out of a reasonable expectation of danger.

I've jokingly said for years that I bet those crowds wouldn't want to line a fairway where I was teeing off. My duck hooks would clear those out pretty quickly. They would be pretty safe on the right sideΒ butΒ no place down the left side would be safe.

There's a million miles of difference between my skill and their skill butΒ they can occasionally hit shots just as bad andΒ their ball is moving faster.

I tried this during a Ryder Cup practice round at Medina a couple years ago to see if I could pick up the ball when standing out there near landing area distance. Β  Maybe it was the backdrop behind the players or something, but I could not pick the ball up off the players club for the life of me. Β I have have pretty good eyesight as well. Β  I purposely placed myself near some trees just in case I could not see it. Β FurykΒ hit one kind of close, and it was a good thing I was standing near the tree. Β So question for anyone who has experience with this. Β If you are standing out there near the fairway landing area when can you pick up the ball, at impact or when it is up in the air a bit?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

I tried this during a Ryder Cup practice round at Medina a couple years ago to see if I could pick up the ball when standing out there near landing area distance. Β  Maybe it was the backdrop behind the players or something, but I could not pick the ball up off the players club for the life of me. Β I have have pretty good eyesight as well. Β  I purposely placed myself near some trees just in case I could not see it. Β FurykΒ hit one kind of close, and it was a good thing I was standing near the tree. Β So question for anyone who has experience with this. Β If you are standing out there near the fairway landing area when can you pick up the ball, at impact or when it is up in the air a bit?

I've only been to two Tour events and there's not a chance in the world of picking up every ball and paying attention 100% of the time (especially following a player like Tiger). People are moving around and somebody can easily block your view back down the fairway. Then the guy blocking your view ducks and you catch a ball with your ear.

I remember seeing a story a few years back about a lady at a Yankee's game that took a line drive foul to the face, messed her up pretty bad, multiple plastic surgery to repair the damage, she was on her own, Yankee's were under no legal obligation to help with the med bills

I remember seeing a story a few years back about a lady at a Yankee's game that took a line drive foul to the face, messed her up pretty bad, multiple plastic surgery to repair the damage, she was on her own, Yankee's were under no legal obligation to help with the med bills

One problem with trying to know what any particular court will say is that different judges and different juries have different opinions on negligence. You could take a similar case where maybe a club decided to put in some temporary seats down the foul line and all it takes is for a judge to allow it as crossing the line as foreseeable danger and then all bets are off.

Courts also don't put as much stock in writtenΒ disclaimers put out by a businessΒ as the public thinks. A disclaimer is a good idea but it's not a free pass to make negligent decisions.Β For the most part fans are at their own risk but you can never say never when it comes to lawsuits. Usually liabilityΒ takes somebody in chargeΒ making a decision that can be construed as unusual that results in a serious injury, like maybe somebody decides it's a good idea to move the ropes in to allow more spectators than what was done in the past.

Chances for successΒ are also increased if the serious injury is to a kid or someone that garners more public sympathy than usual.

One problem with trying to know what any particular court will say is that different judges and different juries have different opinions on negligence. You could take a similar case where maybe a club decided to put in some temporary seats down the foul line and all it takes is for a judge to allow it as crossing the line as foreseeable danger and then all bets are off.

Courts also don't put as much stock in writtenΒ disclaimers put out by a businessΒ as the public thinks. A disclaimer is a good idea but it's not a free pass to make negligent decisions.Β For the most part fans are at their own risk but you can never say never when it comes to lawsuits. Usually liabilityΒ takes somebody in chargeΒ making a decision that can be construed as unusual that results in a serious injury, like maybe somebody decides it's a good idea to move the ropes in to allow more spectators than what was done in the past.

Chances for successΒ are also increased if the serious injury is to a kid or someone that garners more public sympathy than usual.

There have been numerous cases where the courts have found for people injured at sporting events. But it is almost always a case of negligence at the event site (a failed railing, for example). I have never heard of anybody successfully suing for having been hit by a ball. The disclaimers are very effective in that regard,Β and it is virtually common knowledge that you are at your own risk when entering a sports event.

Bill M

The legal disclaimer on the back of PGA Tour event ticket has this language (adjusted for the specific event):

" By utilizing this ticket or entering onto the grounds of the Tournament you voluntarily assume all risk and danger incidental to the game of golf , whether occurring prior to, during or subsequent to the actual event, and release PGA TOUR Inc., the host site, title sponsor, presenting sponsor, television broadcasters, vendors, volunteers, Bruno Event Team, LLC, Greater Des Moines Community Foundation, participating players, and all agents thereof from any all liabilities resulting from such cases. It is further understood and agreed that this waiver, release and assumption of risk is binding on your heirs and assigns. "

Getting hit by a golf ball is an inherent risk of the sport.

A far more interesting legal question would be what recourse do you have if you are walking next to a golf course and some guy slices a ball out of bounds and it plunks you on the head. Β In that case, I assume you would have some legal recourse.

I've never been to a tournament but I would have to imagine that it is very difficult to see the ball come off the club face when your are 300 yards away near a landing area.

Colin P.

Note:Β This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!