IGNORED

Change the Dang Picture!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think it can be useful and give some players a decent idea of how much they need to exaggerate it.

Yeah you tend to "over swing" differently than most. Most guys don't turn enough, then lift and pull the arms part. So the tees gives them the feel they need to use the pivot to "carry" the arms with them in order not to lift.

You can keep the tees under your arms because your tendency is to turn too much and your right arm pressure point "slides" behind you. Just what I recall, haven't seen you swing lately.

Even if it's 5-10 minutes a day at home, it will help.

This is definitely my case. So, I´m going to practise with the tees in armpits everyday, starting today... My arms continue travelling on the BS once my back hast reach the limit, and this is really really bad...

:nike:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great thread. I feel I'm starting to implement this philosophy but it's taking a lot to discipline myself when I do it outdoors.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 1 month later...

I bet he outdrove me with that too. :-P

But seriously, w/o having seen this golfer's 100% swing, in general, will a slow driver swing have less rotation @ 6? Also right arm less bent? Because less "velocity" of body parts? Not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges in comparison below.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I bet he outdrove me with that too.

But seriously, w/o having seen this golfer's 100% swing, in general, will a slow driver swing have less rotation @ 6? Also right arm less bent? Because less "velocity" of body parts? Not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges in comparison below.

I get what you're saying, I'm sure in Driscoll's full speed swing he's a little more open and his right arm isn't "tucked" so far in front of him. Really tough to get the right arm like that unless you are swinging slower. Comparing it to Grant full speed is apples and oranges. With slow swings some players might have more right arm bend, some might have more hip turn (I hopefully would), depends on what they're feeling or working on.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I have what might be a stupid question, but I think it's related to changing a picture. One thing I was asked to try in a recent lesson was taking my 7- or 6-iron, teeing up a ball about .25", and trying to hit it 75 yards on a full swing. I [i]think[/i] the idea is to swing slowly (obviously, my instructor doesn't want me to do a Barkley). Yet, when I try swinging slow enough, especially with the ball teed up like that, I end up hitting it really well... and well past 75 yards. Is this sort of drill something I should have in mind, or does the fact that it goes past 75 yards mean I need to slow down to achieve what I'm supposed to achieve?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I have what might be a stupid question, but I think it's related to changing a picture.

One thing I was asked to try in a recent lesson was taking my 7- or 6-iron, teeing up a ball about .25", and trying to hit it 75 yards on a full swing. I think the idea is to swing slowly (obviously, my instructor doesn't want me to do a Barkley). Yet, when I try swinging slow enough, especially with the ball teed up like that, I end up hitting it really well... and well past 75 yards. Is this sort of drill something I should have in mind, or does the fact that it goes past 75 yards mean I need to slow down to achieve what I'm supposed to achieve?

I think it's just a mental picture thing. The object is to do your piece at a slower swing than you are used to, not to hit a specific yardage with it. As long as you are doing the piece correctly, I'm sure it's probably fine.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[QUOTE name="Shindig" url="/t/73287/change-the-dang-picture/30_30#post_1161343"] I have what might be a stupid question, but I think it's related to changing a picture. One thing I was asked to try in a recent lesson was taking my 7- or 6-iron, teeing up a ball about .25", and trying to hit it 75 yards on a full swing. I think the idea is to swing slowly (obviously, my instructor doesn't want me to do a Barkley). Yet, when I try swinging slow enough, especially with the ball teed up like that, I end up hitting it really well... and well past 75 yards. Is this sort of drill something I should have in mind, or does the fact that it goes past 75 yards mean I need to slow down to achieve what I'm supposed to achieve?[/QUOTE] I think it's just a mental picture thing. The object is to do your piece at a slower swing than you are used to, not to hit a specific yardage with it. As long as you are doing the piece correctly, I'm sure it's probably fine.

Well, that's the other problem probably. But at least I don't feel bad about my inability to hit a 7-iron 75 yards. Thanks!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think it's just a mental picture thing. The object is to do your piece at a slower swing than you are used to, not to hit a specific yardage with it. As long as you are doing the piece correctly, I'm sure it's probably fine.

Right, doing it at a slower speed helps you change the picture. Asking a student to hit it 75 yards with a 7 iron just emphasizes how slow they'll actually have to swing.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Three tour pros using cameras to change the picture :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Three tour pros using cameras to change the picture

I started doing this at the range this week, usually I just record and check things out later. It's great for instant feedback when trying to 'change the picture'.

I probably could use slowing it down even more ( if you need to swing at 10%, swing at 10% ) to really work on things. Currently trying to keep my lead arm extended through impact

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Note to self: reread this thread, and ACTUALLY do it after my next Evolvr analysis comes back. I submitted videos today that from my eye were IDENTICAL to the previous set. And that was after a couple weeks of what I thought were deliberate efforts to change (I did skim this thread).

Confession, I wasn't diligent with video at the range. I think the key is to look at nearly every single slow motion swing and see if it's what I'm shooting for.  I think I am conning myself that I'm changing at slow speed because it feels different. In reality, it's only subtly different in slow speed, and that difference vanishes at faster speed swings.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 3 weeks later...

For those that get discouraged working on something new, stick with it.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 months later...

Great thread! Love seeing the video. Now I need to go change the picture, getting caught up in full speed isn't going to help much. I have 3 month to change the picture at full speed, it can be done. I just posted in the member swing section.

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

• 1 year later...

Shout-out to @kpaulhus for doing what it takes to change the picture.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

It never feels like you're changing a lot, so having pictures and videos to document the changes really makes me feel like the practice is paying off. No more swaying, turn the damn hips!

The crazy thing about golf is that I have been at a lower handicap with a not great swing (was a 2.7 index in July last year). I got hot and it didn't last long. Need the fundamentals and sound swing to get to and maintain a low index.

swing.jpg

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

18 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

It never feels like you're changing a lot, so having pictures and videos to document the changes really makes me feel like the practice is paying off. No more swaying, turn the damn hips!

The crazy thing about golf is that I have been at a lower handicap with a not great swing (was a 2.7 index in July last year). I got hot and it didn't last long. Need the fundamentals and sound swing to get to and maintain a low index.

swing.jpg

Wow Kyle, that is a YUUUGE change. Some serious commitment there. Hard to bring that level of trust to change when you've been so low before. Cool!

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 1772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!