IGNORED

2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

jamo
Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE]The 2014 FIFA World Cup will be the 20th FIFA World Cup, an international men's football tournament, that is scheduled to take place in Brazil from 12 June to 13 July 2014. It will be the second time that Brazil has hosted the competition, the previous being in 1950. Brazil was elected unchallenged as host nation in 2007 after the international football federation, FIFA, decreed that the tournament would be staged in South America for the first time since 1978 in Argentina, and the fifth time overall. The national teams of 31 countries advanced through qualification competitions that began in June 2011 to participate with the host nation Brazil in the final tournament. A total of 64 matches are to be played in twelve cities across Brazil in either new or redeveloped stadiums, with the tournament beginning with a group stage. For the first time at a World Cup Finals, the matches will use goal-line technology. With the host country, all world champion teams since the first World Cup in 1930 (Uruguay, Italy, Germany, England, Argentina, France and Spain) have qualified for this competition. Spain is the defending champion, having defeated the Netherlands 1–0 in the 2010 World Cup final to win its first World title. The previous four World Cups staged in South America were all won by South American teams. [/QUOTE] AFC (4) Australia (57) Iran (49) Japan (44) South Korea (56) CAF (5) Algeria (32) Cameroon (59) Ghana (23) Ivory Coast (17) Nigeria (33) OFC (0) None qualified CONCACAF (4) Costa Rica (31) Honduras (34) Mexico (24) United States (13) CONMEBOL (6) Argentina (3) Brazil (11) (hosts) Chile (12) Colombia (4) Ecuador (22) Uruguay (6) UEFA (13) Belgium (5) Bosnia and Herzegovina (16) Croatia (18) England (10) France (21) Germany (2) Greece (15) Italy (9) Netherlands (8) Portugal (14) Russia (19) Spain (1) Switzerland (7)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GOOOOOOOOOOAL!!! I fear it is going to be tough treading for our beloved team USA.  It is going to be so much fun though and I look forward to the discussion and the matches!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I have to go to Brazil on business soon.  The trip keeps getting delayed.  If it is delayed one more week, we are screwed because everything is booked from May 15 on.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The US team is playing in a very tough bracket.  I believe Spain is the odds on favorite but don't count out the Dutch, Germany or Brazil.

I'm really looking forward to the tournament.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The US team is playing in a very tough bracket.  I believe Spain is the odds on favorite but don't count out the Dutch, Germany or Brazil.

I'm really looking forward to the tournament.

After the 2010 WC, I predicted that it would be Germany and Brazil in the finals of the 2014 WC. I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise. FWIW, here are the groups. We definitely have the most difficult road out of the group stage.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

@geauxforbroke I like your picks. I have been picking Germany to take the cup myself. Where are all of our European TST members? Lets get this discussion going! I just don't see the US doing much of anything. They really need Altidore to be in good form and we all know the reality of his recent play.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

@geauxforbroke I like your picks. I have been picking Germany to take the cup myself. Where are all of our European TST members? Lets get this discussion going!

I just don't see the US doing much of anything. They really need Altidore to be in good form and we all know the reality of his recent play.

If Germany gets rolling, they'll be hard to stop. I definitely hope they get a chance to play Brazil. If they both win their groups, then they'll play in the semi-finals. If one wins their group and the other finishes second, they would meet in the finals (assuming they both make it there). I think other teams to watch are Italy, Netherlands, and Spain. I think the dark horses that can throw a wrench in everything are Switzerland, Belgium, and Croatia.

I think the USMNT will struggle, just because we seem to have a lack of consistent attacking options. Julian Green could be an interesting addition if he makes the team, but he basically has zero senior international experience. I also think the teams we'll play in the group are tough match ups. Germany and Portugal are extremely efficient, technically sound attacking sides, and Ghana is fast and powerful. I expect Germany to run the table, which means we will likely have to at least win one match and draw another. Losing to either Portugal or Ghana might mean elimination unless we can get a draw against Germany.

Tyler Martin

If Germany gets rolling, they'll be hard to stop. I definitely hope they get a chance to play Brazil. If they both win their groups, then they'll play in the semi-finals. If one wins their group and the other finishes second, they would meet in the finals (assuming they both make it there). I think other teams to watch are Italy, Netherlands, and Spain. I think the dark horses that can throw a wrench in everything are Switzerland, Belgium, and Croatia.

I think the USMNT will struggle, just because we seem to have a lack of consistent attacking options. Julian Green could be an interesting addition if he makes the team, but he basically has zero senior international experience. I also think the teams we'll play in the group are tough match ups. Germany and Portugal are extremely efficient, technically sound attacking sides, and Ghana is fast and powerful. I expect Germany to run the table, which means we will likely have to at least win one match and draw another. Losing to either Portugal or Ghana might mean elimination unless we can get a draw against Germany.

Yeah I think that Julian is really an addition for 2018.  I don't see him really having an impact this time around.  Ghana has just been too quick for us in the past and I really don't even know what to expect in the Portugal game.  Those are some incredibly tough matches for us.  The size of the US back line has been pretty good for a while but, their lack of speed always concerns me.

Nate

Yeah I think that Julian is really an addition for 2018.  I don't see him really having an impact this time around.  Ghana has just been too quick for us in the past and I really don't even know what to expect in the Portugal game.  Those are some incredibly tough matches for us.  The size of the US back line has been pretty good for a while but, their lack of speed always concerns me.

I don't think lack of speed is necessarily a negative. However, if you don't have good closing speed, you have to be in the right positions at all times. For example, Per Mertesacker, who plays for Arsenal and Germany, is typically the slowest player on the field. However, his positional awareness is superb, so he doesn't have to cover ground as quickly. If the US back line can play smart and as a unit, I think we can defend well against most teams we'll play. I'm more concerned about teams like Portugal and Germany that are technically sound, have great movement off the ball, and play a quick, one-touch passing game, a la Barca.

Tyler Martin

I don't think lack of speed is necessarily a negative. However, if you don't have good closing speed, you have to be in the right positions at all times. For example, Per Mertesacker, who plays for Arsenal and Germany, is typically the slowest player on the field. However, his positional awareness is superb, so he doesn't have to cover ground as quickly. If the US back line can play smart and as a unit, I think we can defend well against most teams we'll play. I'm more concerned about teams like Portugal and Germany that are technically sound, have great movement off the ball, and play a quick, one-touch passing game, a la Barca.

That is a good point.  If the back line looks as lost as how they played against Ukraine they are on for a world of trouble in this group.

Nate

@geauxforbroke ,

I don't like slow fullbacks.  To me, that is a huge weakness no matter how smart they play.  On teams I coached, my fastest players were my outside forwards and my sweeper.  The US Women lost the world cup in 2007 because of slow fullbacks not being able to counter speed at striker.  They countered in the Olympics by putting very fast fullback in.  The did the same in the next cycle.  They only lost the WC to Japan, because of inspired play by the Japanese side.

I know Germany is a strong team, but the way they play is so dull.  I did a lot of work in Germany and watched how all the pro teams played.  Control the ball and wait for a mistake.  I would rather have Spain, Portugal, Brazil or Argentina in the finals because it is all about passing and attacking.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah what worries me is the US backs lack the speed to make up for an also lacking positioning awareness. I hope they can at least gel as a unit by the cup.

Nate

Quote:
Yeah what worries me is the US backs lack the speed to make up for an also lacking positioning awareness

My thoughts too.   We've seen year in and out that the US backs will usually make at least one or two mistakes during a match which will adversely effect the entire game.   The good teams will capitalize on these mistakes and the US doesn't have the offense to play catch-up.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Green is being called for the US vs. Mexico "friendly". I am interested to see what JK has in store for him.

Nate

I think its between Argentina and Germany. I think Chile will be a surprise dark horse with potential to get to QF and beyond

Yeah they are in a tough group, but anything can happen. They have the potential for sure.

Nate

Watching a little Messi magic right now with Barca. Tomorrow night is USA v Mexico which should be fun.

Nate

I got to catch Klinsmann's debut as the coach in a friendly against Mexico in Philly at Lincoln Financial. I think this was back in 2011.

1-1 draw. Good times.

Yea, we got the group of death along with England. I think we'll fight hard. I dunno if we'll survive the group, but this is a pretty well coached team from what I can tell.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!