IGNORED

Get Off the Darn Range and Go Play Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very nice! I have played a round with my friend every day this week so far, and I only have time to work on my swing at home when the kids are sleeping! Hey I'm going to take advantage of the situation I'm in the best way I can!! Nice post!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Paging @mvmac lol.

GO PLAY!!!!!

:-P

A LOT of my practice this year will be on the course. I'm getting a membership that doesn't include range balls and the wife will certainly not understand why I'm paying for range balls after spending a grand on a membership...

The upside is my course is rarely busy so I can play rounds where I'm working on stuff and play rounds for score with no issues.

C'mon snow, F**K OFF already!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

I have played a round with my friend every day this week so far, and I only have time to work on my swing at home when the kids are sleeping! Hey I'm going to take advantage of the situation I'm in the best way I can!!

Paging @mvmac lol.

Uh, so truthfully, the happy medium probably lies somewhere between @Abu3baid (plays all the time, only ever seems to practice without a golf ball indoors :D), and @mvmac (has to be reminded where the first tee on his home course is).

:D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well Erik, you're a better natural golfer than I am.  I've had two lessons in 6-7 years of regular golf, and I've only gotten down to my current HC.  1.8 is a pipe dream...

I've finally gotten tired of not feeling like I'm ever going to get down to low-mid single digits worrying only about what the shot looks like, and not too much with what my swing looks like, relying on self-tweaking, info mainly from this site, and athletic ability.  So I've jumped into a binge of video practice with a major assist from Mike.  For the first time I'm getting hyper obsessed with what my swing looks like.  It's maddening, but hopefully will bear fruit.  But honestly I can't see ever getting to the point of not bothering to play much in favor of practicing.  Playing the game is the whole point!  And where the real fun is!  This is a sport with endless facets and weird variation out on the course after all.  The fun is trying to put it all together to post a good score.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

With knowledge comes great great responsibility. Unfortunately, as one's golf knowledge increases, one tends to spend a whole lot more time on the range trying to make the perfect swing, and fix those last seventeen little things that annoy them. Then these guys venture onto the course, where they promptly lose to a guy whose swing is all over the place, but who plays a lot of golf. (And quite likely, their reaction is to blame those 17 last things and to go back to the range to fix them so they can seek revenge in three months when they finally get out on the golf course again…). I'm a big fan of practicing. A big fan. I've written lots of articles about it, I've done it myself for a few hundred hours. But I like GOLF a helluva lot more. You don't play golf on the range. The range is not where you get to see the results of your hard work. The range is not where you learn how to get around the golf course . The range is where you work on stuff. The range has flat lies and, the same huge targets, and no stress. In 2009 I was a 1.8 index. I'd gotten that low without a single lesson, ever, except of course those I gave myself. In the years since, partly due to a lack of time, my swing has improved quite a bit, but my handicap has still hovered around the 0.0 to 1.5 range. I'm not kidding you when I tell you that the swing I had as a 1.8 was garbage… it really was. But since improving dramatically , because I can't play as often as I used to, my handicap index hasn't dropped much. So again, I'm just encouraging everyone to go play golf more. That's why you work on your swing, isn't it? To improve at golf? So get out there. If you want to tell me that you're the type that enjoys practicing more than playing, that's fine. Good for you. But unless your range has endless slopes, rough, trees, and other obstacles and such that you can find only on the golf course, I'm going to tell you this: playing is practicing too. You can "practice" on the golf course, and if you aren't, you should. It's the only place you're going to be able to re-create real-life situations: 173 to the flag, pin tucked on the left edge, with a big bunker and the wind into and from the left, with your ball in a slightly cuppy lie in the first cut of rough. You need a {score} on this hole to shoot a {whatever} on this nine holes… So if you're somewhere warm, go play. If you're somewhere cold, play a lot of golf in the summer time . You have all winter to practice, you bums. P.S. This mini rant inspired by people who worry way too much about how their swing looks and not the number they're writing down on their scorecards… as well as those who haven't had to write a number down on a scorecard in weeks or months because they never leave the range.

A man after my own heart! Tomorrow will be my 26th round so far this year. I clearly need to pick up the pace! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I practice more than I play, not by choice, but out of necessity.  I have a range down the street and head over there on my lunch break a couple of times a week.  On the weekend, if we're sitting around relaxing and the kids are behaving, I may sneak over to the range by my house for some practice.

I long for the day when one or both of the kids will want to play golf all the time and I can get at least one round in every weekend.

-------------------------------------------------

Slightly related note:  I'm going home right now to meet with a landscape designer to start coming up with ideas to remodel our backyard.  High up on my list of wants (the very top) is a synthetic putting green. :beer:

Once the golf league season starts, I play much more than I practice. I am so itching to get out on the course. I am a big time, play more than practice golfer. I have enjoyed the strides taken to improve my golf swing thought.

DAMN YOU WEATHER, GET WARMER!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yes, indeed.  And if you personally cannot get out, then you now have the opportunity to help a fellow golfer 'get out and play'.  How?  By simply sending the needed funds directly to my Capital One 360 bank account.  All matters confidential.  Just send me a PM and i'll give you the account number.  A single round for me is $110, so please, don't be cheap.

I was just thinking of this as I was playing this afternoon.

The range is all great and everything, but I am finding that I can hone the swing on the course as well. I think it might be because I rest more between shots, and I mentally rehearse more before every one.

Thanks for sharing this, Erik.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I love this!  The only thing I wish is that I would live somewhere where I can play all the time.  I do my best to make up for lost playing time in the summer though.  I really don't like to practice all that much.  I try to like it but can't really keep my focus on repetitive tasks as long as others can.  I can keep the focus and excitement, on the course as each hole is a new challenge.  I have figured out how to make practice work for me .  I plan the session out before hand and attack it quickly.  I work hard at it, but there is a short window where I can effectively make that change.   I do wish I were able to focus a little more on practicing but I am glad to enjoy playing so much.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Excuses, excuses. Nothing but excuses from +Shindig! I can't play this weekend because, among other things, I'm taking a potential convert to the range (not the one mentioned in the "create a golfer" thread) I guess I have to play twice next weekend then. But then it's back to working on my swing for a week before the follow-up weekend!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Ahhh, iacas wouldn't start a whole new thread just to have a dig at a fellow moderator...............

Quote:
~~ and @mvmac (has to be reminded where the first tee on his home course is). :D

Maybe. :-D

Chris.:roll:

[SIZE=3]I think tristanhilton85 needs more time on the range. All he does is play the course. I generally do 1 hour of range per round, which works out to about 6 hours of range per week.;-) [/SIZE]

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!