IGNORED

Iron Questions

Note: This thread is 3676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, so I've been playing the taylormade burner 2.0 with a regular flex since last year, and I don't think they're the right clubs for me. I started looking at different irons because the reg flex always seemed too flimsy, and don't really like the offset. So today at golfsmith I hit a few irons with a stiff flex and ended up buying a demo adams idea pro a12 to try at the range(will try it on the course in a couple days).

Some of the clubs I hit at golfsmith were ping s59, ping i20, adams cb2(demo), and 2012 taylormade tp mc. At address I liked the thinner irons, even if I didn't hit a good shot I felt better standing over the adams at the range than my burners. Only thing is all except the s59s were out of my price range. As you see with my handicap I have some things to work on and lessons to take. I'll see how I play with it in a couple days but generally would forged irons like the a12 and cb2 be more for the advanced player?

Can anyone suggest more irons I can try that are forgiving, and on the thinner side?

Thanks!

Mizuno EZs

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mizuno came to the local golf shop today, and I did the shaft optimizer and tried shafts in the JPX 825 Pro, the EZ and the JPX 825. I liked the Pro best, but seemed to hit the 825 best.

The Mizuno rep has a 7 HDCP, and plays the  MP64 irons. He has a friend, however, who has a 20 HDCP and plays the EZ irons. The rep says he hits his friend's EZ model just as well as his MP64s, but like to be able to control the ball height better with the 64s.

So, do you want irons that make you feel powerful, or irons that give you good shots?

Also, you've told us little about our game except you score. Did your old irons hold you back, were they the best part of your game, or somewhere in between? Also, will you able to play more this year, and devote more time to developing your swing? You're on the line between GI and SGI irons.

I have a 25 HDCP, hit my irons fairly well, but tend to knock three shots OB per round with the long clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It's primarily just personal preference. Mark crossfield, on YouTube games the mizuno ez irons, and he's a single digit handicap by the looks of his scores during the rounds he posts. I personally like little offset. Thinner top lines, but not overly small club heads. Basically I like mid size irons, that are more baldish than hybridish. From there it's just testing clubs for feel, consistency, and shot trajectory. Basically getting fitted.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I gotcha. I would definitely like to have irons that give me good shots over powerful shots. So a little background, I stopped playing for a long time, and just started back up last season. Right now my iron play is the worst part of my game and its mainly because of thin shots, when I hit a good shot I will take a big divot. This year my main goal is to really develop my swing so I can lower my score, and I'll be devoting a lot of my time to it, but am overdo for a lesson or two. So far I've played once and been to the range 4-5 times in the last week and a half, which is more than I'd do last year.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be going to more shops this weekend to look at clubs. Its just hard to tell if I really like them without going to the range. I think the mats give me false feedback.

I'll see how I play with it in a couple days but generally would forged irons like the a12 and cb2 be more for the advanced player?

Can anyone suggest more irons I can try that are forgiving, and on the thinner side?

Thanks!

There are plenty of clubs that are forged and also forgiving. CB2 would be one of those. CB1 and A12 are pretty similar, more of a "players" cavity back.

Usually "forgiving" doesn't go along with thinner top lines. Having said that, the Callaway X2 Hot Pro's might be worth a look.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Choosing the right irons is a big decision, both financially and for your game.  It is important that you feel good about your clubs because it is hard to play well if you hate your tools.  This has to be tempered by understanding that all the manufacturers make "game improvement" clubs because they are genuinely easier to hit well than are the "player's" clubs that have smaller heads, thinner top lines, and less offset.

Not many years ago everyone used blades because that was all they had and some got to be good golfers, so it is certainly possible for most people to learn to play well enough with darn near any club.  It will just be easier with some than others.  The big attraction to "player's" clubs is that they are easier to 'work' than GI clubs.  You can still 'work' GI clubs, but they do tend to encourage a straight shot or only mild draws or fades, which is a very good think for most people.  Easier to 'work' also means easier to hit in an unexpected direction.  At a 17 handicap your game still needs "improvement" and straight shots will serve you very well, so in my humble opinion, you will hobble yourself at least somewhat if you don't play the clubs that are available to make improvement a little easier.  Don't worry, golf is still hard.

The Mizuno EZ clubs are good if you can get past the look.  Their 825 irons are, to my eye, much better looking.  I'm a Titleist fan, so I'd suggest you look at the AP1s.  While they're "game improvement" clubs, they tend to have less offset than some of the other GI lines and generally have a nice traditional look.  The 714s just came out and you may find some deals (probably unadvertised) on 712 models as well as used clubs that may turn up on the market.

My final thought is that, while we all like new toys, myself certainly included, your surest route to "buying a better game" is to spend the bucks on lessons.  If you can find a decent teacher I'd suggest taking some lessons and getting his/her take on what sort of irons would be a good fit for you at this point, or if they even think you need new sticks right now.  Lessons will do you much more good than new clubs.  Don't restrict it to one or two.  Pretty much every top pro on the tour has a "swing coach" on retainer.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Cleveland 588mt are a nice club. Forged face so you get the best of both worlds.you can also mix and match throughout the whole 588 line. Give them a swing if you like them they can be had fairly cheap on eBay. Then go have them fit and it's still cheaper then shelf price. Hit everything you can and then shoo for what you like.

I used to play with the TaylorMade Burner's regular shaft. But, like you, they just never felt right. I then moved to Ping's G15 red dot. I liked them better, but they still felt a bit "clunky." On a whim, I went to my local used sporting good store and found a set of TaylorMade Tour Preferred stiff shaft. I'm a high HC player, but for some reason I can strike the Tour Preferred much better then the supposed "game enhancer" Burners and Ping irons. I absolutely love them! However, once I get a bit further in my swing changes, I'm likely going to get fitted.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

Hey thanks for the replies, a lot of great info. I went to a small golf shop this morning to see what they had and get some input from them. I explained everything to the guy helping me and he had me hit the mizuno jpx 825 pros, and I will say they looked and felt great on the mat. He asked me to come back with my irons this week so he can see how I hit them, but told me I needed a stiff shaft. With that said they didn't have a huge selection of used, and I still want to try more clubs including the ones you all recommended. Trading in my irons he'd sell me the mizunos for $250, which isn't bad. Weather permitting I plan on taking lessons this thursday or friday and will ask for feedback on my irons.

It's a goof idea to have all that checked when you get a set either new or used. Most used clubs are gonna be standard. The vast majority of players never truly get fitted. They Will go swing clubs and then buy the ones they like and never get a proper fitting. I have my lies checked atkeast one time a year lofts are not as much of a issue since I don't play a forged iron. And even with forged irons I hear you don't need your lofts checked as much.in a proper fitting they will size your grips shafts and lie angle. Make sure when you get fit you get the proper grip size. Grips are very underrated and be a huge issue if not the proper fit. A grip that is to small can cause hooks or even slices same goes with a grip that is to big.

Why don't you get fitted? [quote name="chief523" url="/t/73333/iron-questions#post_965865"]When I think of fitting I think of new clubs. Are you saying to get fit to know my lie, loft, etc. so I know what to look for in used clubs? [/quote] If you're not ready for new clubs, I'd just keep your Burners and save your money for getting fitted with new clubs. Most golf shops will waive the fitting price if you buy clubs from them. The only reason I traded in my last set of clubs and found the Tour Preferred is because I did a bit of swamping and ended up not spending any money. I will definitely get fitted for my next set of clubs. I think it was Tom Watson that argued that the higher HCP's are often the ones that don't get fitted because they think they're not good enough. However, he argued that they are precisely the players that need it most because they're not going to be good enough to adjust to clubs that are not to their specifications.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

Ping S55, Maxfli Revolution,TM RB Tour, Mizuno EZ, Ping S25, Nike VRS Convert 2.0 Tour Forged, Callaway Apex, Xhot, Ping Anser Forged.

They still make the Maxfli Revolution's..? I had those clubs in the late 90's...loved em.

Ok thanks guys. I got a lot of recommendations and eventually I do want to switch to new clubs.

Why don't you get fitted?

If you're not ready for new clubs, I'd just keep your Burners and save your money for getting fitted with new clubs. Most golf shops will waive the fitting price if you buy clubs from them. The only reason I traded in my last set of clubs and found the Tour Preferred is because I did a bit of swamping and ended up not spending any money. I will definitely get fitted for my next set of clubs.

I think it was Tom Watson that argued that the higher HCP's are often the ones that don't get fitted because they think they're not good enough. However, he argued that they are precisely the players that need it most because they're not going to be good enough to adjust to clubs that are not to their specifications.

Right now I have maintenance on the burners I have to take care of before I sell/trade them, so for now I'm going to replace the shafts with kbs stiff, get fit for everything else, and see if that changes how much I like them. If not, I'll go from there.

Note: This thread is 3676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!