IGNORED

Stretches to improve flexibility

FooFader
Note: This thread is 2438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have done the TPI assessment in the past and it was a great indicator of your weaknesses. They also give you specific stretches to improve those specific weaknesses. I can't remember the price as it has been quite a few years ago now. I have a friend that is a PT and is TPI certified.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/23/2015 at 2:59 PM, Carl John Reader said:

Hi Guys 

I believe stretching is very important however doing the right stretches is even more key!

Here are a few rules I use to help with flexibility.

1) Never feel pain or discomfort in my back

2) Understand the difference between a muscle and nerve stretching. Very often the pain of stretching is nerve related ...sharp burning feeling. Be careful not to confuse the two! 

3) Stretching is only a temporary solution to an underlying problem or weakness. Its important to address what is making you tight!

I hope this helps and look forward to the feedback!

As a Physical Therapist, I strongly agree with the 3rd point here.  Do some homework and you might find a TPI certified PT in your area.  This is the person from whom to seek advice.

Dave 

Driver: Callaway X2 Hot 13.5*    Woods: Callaway X2 Hot 5W      Hybrids: Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid 3

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-9    

Wedges: Callaway X Hot PW and AW, Mack Daddy S Grind 60*/10,  Mack Daddy C Grind 56*/14 

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

• 2 months later...

I can tell you about flexibility. I have been doing and teaching Yoga for almost 20 years. I really do not like the word flexibility because people think of it as someone who can bend themselves into a pretzel. I prefer release of tension.

There are many exercises you can do, but most important is your approach  know your limitations. The secret is to be safe. Bring the movement to the point when you feel sensation and stop there and hold for a few breaths. Deep Breathing during this process is essential.  Also remove all momentum from the movement. No  bouncing.

Be consistent in your approach and over a period of time you will get results. Remember all the muscle groups are connected, so try to release tension in all muscle groups not just the ones you use for golf. Stretching is like peeling an onion. You will go though levels of stiffness and levels of flexibility. It is a long term commitment, but well worth it for the health benefits alone

Hope this helps 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

JCrane - you advice reminded me of my Physical Therapist.  I was recovering from a broken knee and he said when stretching - push to the ouch, back off and hold it for a minute and then completely back off and try again. 

I'm just beginning golfing, but I can tell you my Pilates has greatly improved my flexibility.  On a weekly basis I can see my stretches getting longer and my it's starting to show up in my swing.

Pilates is great, I do it myself, You also might want to do some Yoga. I recommended a flow Yoga. This will help connect the core to the rest of your body and add some balance and strength. I have been doing and teaching Yoga for 20 years. Physical Therapists use stretches that are rooted in Yoga. It just has not been marketed very well. It has been aimed at the women who buy the Yoga clothes or presented as some ritual with Sanscrit language to make it appear less accessible, but it actually offers a great deal from a physical point of view. Keep up the good work. You are doing what few men do and you will continue to reap the benefits. 

Stretching is an unfortunate term.  Extension would be better.  Returning to base is every bit as important.  It takes just as much discipline, more so in fact, to contract than it does to expand.  Don't let the air out of the balloon any faster than it takes to blow it up.  There is much strength to be found there.

• Informative 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

22 hours ago, Piz said:

Stretching is an unfortunate term.  Extension would be better.  Returning to base is every bit as important.  It takes just as much discipline, more so in fact, to contract than it does to expand.  Don't let the air out of the balloon any faster than it takes to blow it up.  There is much strength to be found there.

I like that. When I teach my classes I never use the word stretch, which implies effort. In fact I do not use the word flexibility because it creates visions of bendy women twisted into pretzels I use the phrase " Release of Tension " 

On 8/14/2017 at 9:42 PM, JCrane said:

Pilates is great, I do it myself, You also might want to do some Yoga. I recommended a flow Yoga. This will help connect the core to the rest of your body and add some balance and strength. I have been doing and teaching Yoga for 20 years. Physical Therapists use stretches that are rooted in Yoga. It just has not been marketed very well. It has been aimed at the women who buy the Yoga clothes or presented as some ritual with Sanscrit language to make it appear less accessible, but it actually offers a great deal from a physical point of view. Keep up the good work. You are doing what few men do and you will continue to reap the benefits. 

what makes you think @Maric771 is male?  ;-) I did not see any reference to gender. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I have a buddy that is doing this and loves it. Pretty intensive stuff though.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm flexible and enjoy stretching.  I have a full body routine I continue to do.  

I am in the worst shape ever though right now.  Diet and exercise is coming soon...

Being fat sucks,  you can see it on my swing vids;..

23 hours ago, mvmac said:

I have a buddy that is doing this and loves it. Pretty intensive stuff though.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/

Those are great courses. Are they videos  or live online ?  I believe it is important to start at very basic levels. The muscles need time to adjust to the change. It is like awakening a sleeping person. They are a little bit crabby and our muscles are the same. They are resistant to that change, so we have to move slowly adding strength, balance  and mobility as we go

22 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

I'm flexible and enjoy stretching.  I have a full body routine I continue to do.  

I am in the worst shape ever though right now.  Diet and exercise is coming soon...

check out intermittent fasting I have been doing this for about a month. I have always been able to lose weight but not keep it off. I was always hungry, but this method seems to work for me. You create an widow for eating, mine is 8 hrs and you eat only in that widow. Check it out

2 hours ago, JCrane said:

Are they videos  or live online ?

Online series.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

57 minutes ago, Maric771 said:

I am a senior female, however they are many men who do Pilates at the gym I go to.  In fact there is a group of 3 senior males that have a group lesson twice a week there.  

Maric771  First of all there was no disrespect intended on my part for not recognizing you are a women, but it did play into the stats that led to me  making that mistake.

Yes, I realize there are men doing these type of programs, but the stats show the percentages are very one sided, Women in general seem to find much more value in developing their strength, flexibility, and balance by working with their own body, while men seem to be more inclined to gravitate more toward weight bearing exercises such as weights and machines. Hopefully this will change as we go on.

Next week I will begin working with a male high school soccer team which should prove interesting.  This is only because I have their coach in my class and he has gotten it in his body and is a believer. I have worked with swim teams and other athletic teams before and in the past the coach would leave the room which kind of sends a message to the kids.

In time It is my hope  athletes in general will see the value in this type of training as it complements all the strength training that is done and creates more balance between a  strong  and flexible muscle. 

Thanks for your comment  

On 8/16/2017 at 10:14 PM, Jack Watson said:

check out intermittent fasting I have been doing this for about a month. I have always been able to lose weight but not keep it off. I was always hungry, but this method seems to work for me. You create an widow for eating, mine is 8 hrs and you eat only in that widow. Check it out

If you think about it, we live day to day and year to year with gravity pushing down on us. Now add to that all the hard surfaces  we walk on like cement floors that have no give. So over a period of time, it is like putting the body in a vice and slowly turning the handle. The muscles become tight and the spine compressed. Then add to that toilets, car seats, and chairs resulting in tight hips. Sooner or later something can give out. Stretching of some kind ( I am biased I practice and teach Yoga ) should be done by everyone. I have often said " We take better care of our cars then we do our bodies because we are well aware of the investment we have in them, but in reality we have a much bigger investment in our bodies.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, JCrane said:

If you think about it, we live day to day and year to year with gravity pushing down on us. Now add to that all the hard surfaces  we walk on like cement floors that have no give. So over a period of time, it is like putting the body in a vice and slowly turning the handle. The muscles become tight and the spine compressed. Then add to that toilets, car seats, and chairs resulting in tight hips. Sooner or later something can give out. Stretching of some kind ( I am biased I practice and teach Yoga ) should be done by everyone. I have often said " We take better care of our cars then we do our bodies because we are well aware of the investment we have in them, but in reality we have a much bigger investment in our bodies.

I have an inversion table.  It helps. 

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!