IGNORED

Stretches to improve flexibility

FooFader
Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a search to see if there was a thread focused on improving flexibility but couldn't find specifically what i was looking for.

We all know that improving flexibility is a very good thing for any golfer and that it can increase swing speed. I've read in a lot of threads about improving flexibility but none of them really focused on exactly how to go about doing so. I currently hold static stretches before bed every night but I'm not sure which stretches to do so if people with more knowledge than i in this area could recommend stretches for me and other golfers as well that would be great. Ideally attach an explanatory picture/video with each suggestion.

Currently i do the following:

• Upvote 1

Henry

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@FooFader ,

I recommend the following books:

His stretching section is excellent.  Golf instruction section is average.

by Joey D.  This has exercises that help improve flexibility and well as strength.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@FooFader ,

by Joey D.  This has exercises that help improve flexibility and well as strength.

Thank you very much, i shall check those out. I found a flexibilty screening program online the other day, it was called TPI and whilst it's copyrighted there are multiple examples of the 12 exercises involved on YouTube. I would recommend that to anyone to assess where their flexibilty could be lacking. I found that i have extremely tight lats so i'll have a look later at stretches for that and @boogielicious i shall see if i can find those books on eBay goig cheap or amazon otherwise.

Henry

• 1 year later...

@FooFader

What were the books? I don't see them listed in the thread. I've got to start stretching.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator

What were the books? I don't see them listed in the thread. I've got to start stretching.

Probably lost in the move from Huddler. Paging @boogielicious (who can just edit the first post).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Probably lost in the move from Huddler. Paging @boogielicious (who can just edit the first post).

I assumed that was the issue. Thanks

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

@FooFader,

Flexible Golf Swing by Roger Fredericks 

It looks like Roger has updated the book.

Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing by Joey D.

You can also get a DVD

Joey D Golf Body

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the book "get youself in golf shape" on ebay for $4 shipped, I will report back to this thread if it helps once i get it. I didn't do much research on the book or the author but for $4 I thought it was worth the shot.

Hi Guys 

I believe stretching is very important however doing the right stretches is even more key!

Here are a few rules I use to help with flexibility.

1) Never feel pain or discomfort in my back

2) Understand the difference between a muscle and nerve stretching. Very often the pain of stretching is nerve related ...sharp burning feeling. Be careful not to confuse the two! 

3) Stretching is only a temporary solution to an underlying problem or weakness. Its important to address what is making you tight!

I hope this helps and look forward to the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...
On October 6, 2015 at 11:52:56 AM, boogielicious said:

Flexible Golf Swing by Roger Fredericks 

It looks like Roger has updated the book.

Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing by Joey D.

You can also get a DVD

Joey D Golf Body

I also have all of the above ... excellent, and not overly strenuous.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 year later...

I started a beginners yoga class and it has helped my game out tremendously. Not only has it helped with flexibility, but you'd be amazed at how difficult it is to just lift your own body weight. There are tons of youtube videos on it if you'd prefer to try it at home. 

i started going to yoga a few years ago to help with some back problems i was having,but believe that it also helps my golf game a lot since ive started playing. yoga gives you flexibility,functional strength,and great balance.All of which i think are important to me in my golf game,if you dont want to go to any clases,there are plenty of yoga instructors on youtube these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to get more serious about this. My legs have always been flexible but my shoulders are not. That door stretch in the original post is really a nice one for me. I started doing that with my first shoulder physical therapy. I'm currently back in shoulder PT and for one knee, too. Getting older - turning 50 in a couple weeks!

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done a TPI screening,I'd be very interested in hearing about it.Been to a lot of physios with lower back problems so i have a pretty good stretching routine to keep me flexible,but I do feel I have a limited shoulder turn for some reason.Wondering would a TPI screen might identify a problem.

15 minutes ago, knucklebuster said:

Has anyone done a TPI screening,I'd be very interested in hearing about it.Been to a lot of physios with lower back problems so i have a pretty good stretching routine to keep me flexible,but I do feel I have a limited shoulder turn for some reason.Wondering would a TPI screen might identify a problem.

I've been doing these stretches in the video below for the past several days. I like the style of the guy, Colin Westerman, so I happened to look at his site (I have no connection with him, nor any first-hand knowledge of TPI). Anyway, on his FAQ, I've underlined and bolded that he thinks TPI would definitely identify what parts of your body are holding you back. 

So I have no idea about costs or if it's worth it, but the TPI does seem to be quite thorough, professional, and targeted for golf. It's just an odd coincidence I happened to be researching stretching and fitness when you made this post.

http://cwgolfit.com/faq/

What is TPI?

TPI stands for the Titliest Performance Institute and is based in Carlsbad, California. It is a worldwide organization with over 55,000 members. It was formed by Dr. Greg Rose and PGA Professional Dave Philips who host Golf Channel Fitness Academy on Golf Channel. TPI was created as a network of health, fitness and golf professionals to focus on the needs of golfers starting with juniors and going all the way up to touring professionals. Any personal trainer who works with a touring pro will have a TPI accreditation. By forming an association that focuses on the needs of golfers, TPI is best able to serve the health needs of the golf community. For more information visit www.mytpi.com

What is a golf screen?

A golf screen is a series of assessments designed specifically to show you which part of your body is not properly functioning in your golf swing. There are fundamental things the body must do to get into a good position and the screen will show you where your body is holding you back.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Im actually not a fan of "golf targeted" or any sport specific stretching exercises. Just do Hatha or Sivananda Yoga. I practice the Sivananda version and it has helped with my golf and and general health.  Learning how to breathe properly is just as important as the stretching. These sport specific stretching exercises rarely focus on that side of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

From what I recall, a lot of lower back stuff (especially for those who sit a lot for work) is tied to tight hamstrings so don't forget to deal with those. I've also heard that 'dynamic' stretching tends to be more effective than static.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!