• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickolasjt

My Shadow

21 posts in this topic

Ok guys, this is going to sound crazy, but I have lost my game when I'm standing over my shadow.  I'm a pretty good player, and for someone of my nature to be struggling like this, with something this small concerns me, and it's KILLING my game.

When my shadow is behind me, or to either side of me, it's not a problem.  I make a GREAT golf swing I can get though, and it goes nice and high with a 5 yard draw.  When my shadow is right over my ball, its a whole different story, I honestly have NO idea where it is going.  My body just doesn't seem connected at all.  During a tournament round I will turn around to where I don't see my shadow and try to get the same rhythm, and then step up to the ball.  It's SO FRUSTRATING.  I score very well when I have a relatively low amount of "shadow swings."

Anyone have any remedies.  I've tried just concentrating on the ball, swinging with eyes closed, NOTHING.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

not crazy at all.  i have the same exact problem.  the issue is that as soon as i see my bodys shadow moving it distracts me from the ball, and i cannot help but seeing it in my peripheral vision.  sorry i dont have a solution.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think all golfers go through some type of mental block like that from time to time.  Hitting a tee shot on a specific hole, hitting a certain iron well, they are all mental blocks.  Clearing those mental blocks are probably a little different for everyone, but for me it's hitting shots in those situations until I forget I've got an issue.  If it were me, I would go to a driving range where my shadow was over my ball and hit shots until I no longer had a mental block with that shot.  Good luck, I feel your pain.

This is different from any mental block i've had.  I can't even synchronize my swing.  I hate it.  It begins with believing I can overcome this, which I do, I just don't know a step to take.

I haven't really experienced this type of thing before, but maybe having a few sessions on the range with your shadow over the ball will help. Just focus on what you want to do with the shot or drill you are working on and try not to think about your shadow. It really is just like any other shadow on the course, it is just there and doesn't have any effect on the swing you are about to make.Good Luck!

Are you working on some particular swing change or minor mechanical issue or something?  I've run into this problem before where I'm distracted half trying to hit the ball and half trying to see if I'm hitting good positions (as far as you can tell from the shadow).

I'm not working on anything in particular, I'm just trying to get a ball flight on a ball.  I'm used to a high draw, and then when I see my shadow, I'm so distracted that it puts a weak, slap cut on the ball.  It's so demoralizing and almost makes me want to stop playing, because I don't see overcoming it!

I saw my shadow on a practice swing one time during a round in which I was playing very well. The swing looked so bad it put me in a slump for a week. ;-)

Dracula never had this problem and he played off 6! You should move to the uk! It's only sunny for one day in August!

My best advice. Go to a driving range were you can practice hitting shots were the shadow is in your view. Basically get use to it.

Ok guys, this is going to sound crazy, but I have lost my game when I'm standing over my shadow.  I'm a pretty good player, and for someone of my nature to be struggling like this, with something this small concerns me, and it's KILLING my game.

When my shadow is behind me, or to either side of me, it's not a problem.  I make a GREAT golf swing I can get though, and it goes nice and high with a 5 yard draw.  When my shadow is right over my ball, its a whole different story, I honestly have NO idea where it is going.  My body just doesn't seem connected at all.  During a tournament round I will turn around to where I don't see my shadow and try to get the same rhythm, and then step up to the ball.  It's SO FRUSTRATING.  I score very well when I have a relatively low amount of "shadow swings."

Anyone have any remedies.  I've tried just concentrating on the ball, swinging with eyes closed, NOTHING.

Duuuuuuuuuudeeeee

This is so me. It's so hard. When my shadow is on me I feel like I've never swung a golf club before. I have to turn away from it to get synched up too.

Dracula never had this problem and he played off 6! You should move to the uk! It's only sunny for one day in August!

Damn, you beat me to it, lol.

@nickolasjt , I've experienced what you're talking about, but in reverse sort of..I hit the ball better when I could see my shadow at a certain angle. I sort of worked out that my focus must be slightly changing my head and neck position and that's what was making the difference. I began thinking how much truth is there to the saying about "focus on the back of the ball" or "focus on a dimple on the back of the ball", I don't know, maybe good golfers just know where the ball is and don't adhere to this saying. It would be interesting to see a high speed side-by-side comparison of shadow vs no shadow, 1. Of your swing and 2. Of your face.

Damn, you beat me to it, lol.

@nickolasjt , I've experienced what you're talking about, but in reverse sort of..I hit the ball better when I could see my shadow at a certain angle. I sort of worked out that my focus must be slightly changing my head and neck position and that's what was making the difference. I began thinking how much truth is there to the saying about "focus on the back of the ball" or "focus on a dimple on the back of the ball", I don't know, maybe good golfers just know where the ball is and don't adhere to this saying. It would be interesting to see a high speed side-by-side comparison of shadow vs no shadow, 1. Of your swing and 2. Of your face.

^^^^ I seem to be similar. I often feel I put a better swing on it when I can see my shadow. Not sure why...

I also have this problem too so bad with a DIRECT shadow, but like some of the other guys when its at a certain angle it actually is a help.

The only thing I have ever tried with limited success is trying to pick out a dimple on the ball.. tightens your peripheral vision slightly so you notice the shadow less, but like I said, limited success. It drives me nuts too.

Duuuuuuuuuudeeeee

This is so me. It's so hard. When my shadow is on me I feel like I've never swung a golf club before. I have to turn away from it to get synched up too.

anything in particular that you have had success with?

I've never had this problem, but if I suddenly start to after reading this thread, I will be sending you a strongly worded letter.

I've never had this problem, but if I suddenly start to after reading this thread, I will be sending you a strongly worded letter.

Same here. Now I'm going to feel like a groundhog. BTW, I've never even thought of this. I know I don't like to putt through shadows.

anything in particular that you have had success with?

It still bothers me, really. But it doesn't affect my swing anymore. Around four or five in the afternoon, the range that I practice at has me swinging in my shadow. I just spent a lot of time practicing in it. I had to make myself just hit the ball. I still don't like it, but it doesn't totally screw me up.