IGNORED

Tipping the Beer Cart girl

soup
Note: This thread is 3797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree 100%, it's a choice if I want to tip or not, and when I don't, I don't allow people on message boards to tell me I should, (and I don't fell bad about not tipping either) after all she's only doing what she is getting paid for right?

--Wrong, most likely she is getting paid less than minimum wage...probably around $3.25 per hour for her work.   Her tips are the only actual pay she receives....because she pays taxes on her tips, and it gets taken out of her hourly wage, so at the end of the week, her actual paycheck from work shows that she earned $0.00.  Her tips are her only pay.

and to boot some young boy who also works for the course is placing the waters and beers in her cart and not herself....so even more reason for me not to tip her.

--Well, you may or may not be correct about someone else stocking her cart.  But if someone else does stock her cart for her, they are getting paid at least minimum wage to do so, which is more than twice what she is making.  Oh yeah, most likely, she has to share her tips with the person stocking her cart.

Add to that I don't drink and I always bring my own water bottles, so I'm never in this situation anyways.....

My answers to you specifically are bolded inside your quote.

I know the custom of tipping always causes ripples in any online community.  I have heard this same discussion many times before.  But having spent my last 15 years in and around the service industry, I think its crazy to not take care of the servers.  I always tip.  I over tip.  A 30-50% tip from me is not uncommon.  I have servers and bartenders and beer tub girls who help make my business successful, and I know how little they make if they aren't getting tipped.  If you are going to bring your own bottle of water to the course, fine by me.  Not a problem at all.  There are many times when I just flag the cart girl on by, because we don't need anything.  And that's fine.  But I would never order drinks, food, beers, snacks, etc, and then not tip the girl.  Its her only actual income from the job.  And she is doing me a service.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah it's quite stupid actually.  All it does is push the service person's wage onto the customer, regardless of how well they actually perform, since many people feel obligated to make up the gap.  I have stopped eating out at restaurants almost entirely because of the tip nonsense.  Which brings up another point... a cart girl doesn't even really do anything to earn a tip.  They don't mix your drink or make your sandwich.. why are they even getting a tip?  Because they're a rolling vending machine?  Who tips a vending machine?  Yeah I'm kidding a little bit but I'm mostly serious.

This makes no sense at all.  The waiter at the restaurant didn't mix your drink or prepare your dinner either?  He merely punched a button on a computer and then went to a kitchen window 15 minutes later....picked it up.....and dropped it off at you.  The guys in the kitchen are the ones doing all the real work.

This makes no sense at all.  The waiter at the restaurant didn't mix your drink or prepare your dinner either?  He merely punched a button on a computer and then went to a kitchen window 15 minutes later....picked it up.....and dropped it off at you.  The guys in the kitchen are the ones doing all the real work.

You really don't get what he's saying? A cart girl essentially does what your typical McDonald's employee does. Even less, actually.

A waiter has to go back and forth to your table a bunch times, take your drink orders, take your food orders, deliver your food and drinks, take care of the bill, deal with the kitchen...about 45 minutes, and they get what...$5? A cart girl does 15 seconds of "work"...and by "work", I mean they open the drawer and grab you a beer, then they take your money.

In all reality, they don't do anything to deserve a tip. Your local bagboy at the grocery store does more, and makes the same or less money. And less than 1% of people ever tip him.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Good point.  The proper analogy is the waiter at the restaurant takes down your order and eventually brings your food to you.  The cart girl drives the cart with the food/drinks to you.

The service is that of having the food/drinks on the course for your convenience.  Otherwise, you would only have the option of buying something before the round, at the turn, and after the round.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I suppose every course/club is different. At my home course, present and former, the cart girl does mix drinks. If you want a bloody mary she prepares it on the spot. But it's more than that. They work with the bar and grill stocking the cart and preparing food. Our cart has sandwiches and a few places we play have runners for the food that can be ordered via the GPS touchscreen. Our cart staff also works the counter in the clubhouse. I haven't been to a course with a cart that just offers canned beverages since the 90's. Even the rinky-dink rural courses have evolved beyond that.

Dave :-)

If you don't want to tip don't utilize services that expect a tip as part of the service or only visit once to avoid having your food spit in the case they recognize you.   I really don't get it, I know guys that will pay $10 for a beer at a football or baseball game, but if the beer is $3.50 from the cart girl they whine about the $.50 or $1.50 they give as a tip.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

You really don't get what he's saying? A cart girl essentially does what your typical McDonald's employee does. Even less, actually.

A waiter has to go back and forth to your table a bunch times, take your drink orders, take your food orders, deliver your food and drinks, take care of the bill, deal with the kitchen...about 45 minutes, and they get what...$5? A cart girl does 15 seconds of "work"...and by "work", I mean they open the drawer and grab you a beer, then they take your money.

In all reality, they don't do anything to deserve a tip. Your local bagboy at the grocery store does more, and makes the same or less money. And less than 1% of people ever tip him.

Boy, you couldn't be more wrong.  Try spending 7 or 8 hours out in 98 degree summer heat with only minimal shade from the cart awning.  And the girls/women who drove the cart at my home course also stocked it, several times a day on busy days, while on off days they still had to spend long hours out on the course with little to show for it.  On chilly days, trying to sell beer and soda is difficult and thankless, and if she doesn't sell much, she doesn't get tipped either.

I just don't get guys who are willing to pay $40 or $50 (or more) to play 18 holes, but are too cheap to tip a couple of bucks to the person who keeps them supplied with refreshments.  This is really the first time I ever heard of the terms "golfer" and "skinflint" being synonymous.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Honestly I think it's an imaginary first world problem. I've never seen anyone get worked up about giving the cart staff a tip. If anything they are overly friendly and go out of their way to wave them over. Shit we had a cart guy for a while last year and he was one of the more popular ones because he got around the course fast. He would take bumpy paths the women wouldn't in an effort to keep us drinking cold brew. He'd put ice in our coolers and ask for empties. I know he was getting tips.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

Boy, you couldn't be more wrong.  Try spending 7 or 8 hours out in 98 degree summer heat with only minimal shade from the cart awning.  And the girls/women who drove the cart at my home course also stocked it, several times a day on busy days, while on off days they still had to spend long hours out on the course with little to show for it.  On chilly days, trying to sell beer and soda is difficult and thankless, and if she doesn't sell much, she doesn't get tipped either.

I just don't get guys who are willing to pay $40 or $50 (or more) to play 18 holes, but are too cheap to tip a couple of bucks to the person who keeps them supplied with refreshments.  This is really the first time I ever heard of the terms "golfer" and "skinflint" being synonymous.

A typical McDonald's employee spends 7 or 8 hours on their feet in a hot, greasy kitchen environment and/or has to deal with a bunch of customers who aren't out necessarily in the good moods that most people out playing golf are in.  Yet, again, they aren't tipped.

And on chilly days there aren't going to be as many golfers out there to sell to in the first place.

Not saying either job is easy, and not saying you shouldn't tip the cart girl, just saying I think there are good points being raised on both sides here.

Bill

I have never worked as a cart girl - but I have bagged groceries.  That is a thankless, low-paying, tiring job, monotonous job.  I would have loved to have done beverage cart duties at that time.

A typical McDonald's employee spends 7 or 8 hours on their feet in a hot, greasy kitchen environment and/or has to deal with a bunch of customers who aren't out necessarily in the good moods that most people out playing golf are in.  Yet, again, they aren't tipped. Not saying either job is easy, and not saying you shouldn't tip the cart girl, just saying I think there are good points being raised on both sides here.

Yeah, but they get more than $3.25 per hour.

I'd imagine that for the same money, someone would choose beverage cart over McDonalds or grocery bagger.

Having said that, I'm not Mr. Pink.  She always gets a tip.  McDonalds and the bagger kinda get screwed in this one.

QFT - This exactly, fast food employees make at least minimum wage which is significantly more per hour than the majority of waiters/waitresses and cart girls.

Joe Paradiso

Lets see...Hmmm...Work in the kitchen at McDonalds or drive around a golf course selling things...Gotta go with selling things out of the cart.

I think people should tip the guy mowing the course and working on equipment all day (since that's me). :-D

I always tip generously but have to admit it feels a little weird at some restaurants when the waitress is making more money (by a lot) than I am.

Quote:

QFT - This exactly, fast food employees make at least minimum wage which is significantly more per hour than the majority of waiters/waitresses and cart girls.

But face it, fast food employees also work harder than cart girls.

Food servers do more work than fast food employees, but they are compensated in the form of tips.

Fast food workers work harder than cart girls, but they are compensated in the form of higher base pay.

I guess the above can be debated, but I don't think you can debate that driving around in a cart all day, even if the weather isn't ideal, is a lot easier than fast food work. That's my main point.

Bill

But face it, fast food employees also work harder than cart girls. Food servers do more work than fast food employees, but they are compensated in the form of tips. Fast food workers work harder than cart girls, but they are compensated in the form of higher base pay. I guess the above can be debated, but I don't think you can debate that driving around in a cart all day, even if the weather isn't ideal, is a lot easier than fast food work. That's my main point.

No argument here. I'd much rather cruise around in a golf cart full of beer and sandwiches, than flip burgers at McD's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

A typical McDonald's employee spends 7 or 8 hours on their feet in a hot, greasy kitchen environment and/or has to deal with a bunch of customers who aren't out necessarily in the good moods that most people out playing golf are in.  Yet, again, they aren't tipped.

And on chilly days there aren't going to be as many golfers out there to sell to in the first place.

Not saying either job is easy, and not saying you shouldn't tip the cart girl, just saying I think there are good points being raised on both sides here.

But they get minimum wage (at least).  The cart girls don't.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

But face it, fast food employees also work harder than cart girls.

Food servers do more work than fast food employees, but they are compensated in the form of tips.

Fast food workers work harder than cart girls, but they are compensated in the form of higher base pay.

I guess the above can be debated, but I don't think you can debate that driving around in a cart all day, even if the weather isn't ideal, is a lot easier than fast food work. That's my main point.

I think the last point is debatable.  However, it doesn't matter because your second sentence is the key one.  We are assuming, for the sake of this argument, that some people aren't tipping, and then arguing against it.

And I think it should be pointed out that you don't necessarily have to serve at McDs.  I worked fast food during college for a few months and I never had to put on a fake smile for anybody because I worked the fryer.  A cart girl, most of the time, has to go around pretending not to be disgusted by 75% of the guys that are hitting on her.  There's something to be said for people who work jobs where they have face-to-face interaction, offer a service, and rely on tips for their income.

Having said all of that, they get minimum wage, so that debate is really moot.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!