IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

What exactly does "Honorary, non-competing" mean?  Does that mean that they get a lifetime invitation to the tournament as a guest?  Cuz that's pretty dang cool if its true.  I couldn't think of what else it might mean?

Yes. If you've ever won a major or even the British or U.S. Am I think you can attend for free, compete in the Par 3 Contest, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone else a little nervous about the Masters? I am scared to death of a Matt Every-Chris Kirk Sunday final pairing with Steven Bodwitch and Jimmy Walker trying to chase them down. I do not like the way this year has started, particularly the fact guys are gagging down the stretch and winning with 76s on the last day.

The best part of the majors the last couple years is we've had nothing but star-studded leaderboards, and at Augusta, it's usually always a star-studded leaderboard. I'm worried that's about to end. Hopefully the cream comes to the top in 2 weeks.

Anyone else a little nervous about the Masters? I am scared to death of a Matt Every-Chris Kirk Sunday final pairing with Steven Bodwitch and Jimmy Walker trying to chase them down. I do not like the way this year has started, particularly the fact guys are gagging down the stretch and winning with 76s on the last day. The best part of the majors the last couple years is we've had nothing but star-studded leaderboards, and at Augusta, it's usually always a star-studded leaderboard. I'm worried that's about to end. Hopefully the cream comes to the top in 2 weeks.

All of these nobody's won't be able to stand the pressure of Augusta National. At least that's what I hope. The Master's never disappoints.

All of these nobody's won't be able to stand the pressure of Augusta National. At least that's what I hope. The Master's never disappoints.

Yeah, probability says that there will be some big names in the hunt at the end.  But don't forget that Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman, and Charl Schwartzel (at least here in the US) were all in that "no name" category when they won the Masters, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that one of the current crop of no-names could win.

But even if they do, it's likely still going to be exciting.  Schwartzel had Day and Scott on his heels, (and I had to look these ones up ;)) Zach had Tiger and Goosen, and Immelman also had Tiger.

So, yeah, it's probably not going to disappoint, no matter who comes out on top. :beer:

Yeah, probability says that there will be some big names in the hunt at the end.  But don't forget that Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman, and Charl Schwartzel (at least here in the US) were all in that "no name" category when they won the Masters, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that one of the current crop of no-names could win.

But even if they do, it's likely still going to be exciting.  Schwartzel had Day and Scott on his heels, (and I had to look these ones up ;)) Zach had Tiger and Goosen, and Immelman also had Tiger.

So, yeah, it's probably not going to disappoint, no matter who comes out on top.

All those guys were seen as young rising stars, though, when they won. I wouldn't call guys like Senden, Every or Bodwich young rising stars. Reed and Henley are, though.

Zach has definitely backed his Masters up and is one of the best players in the world now with just one major. Schwartzel's been pretty consistent, but hasn't racked up any wins in the States. Immelman is a shame....the guy has game but has just been killed with injuries. Unfortunately, same can be said for Oosthuizen who has been battling injury after injury the last couple years.

Quote:
All of these nobody's [sic] won't be able to stand the pressure of Augusta National. At least that's what I hope. The Master's never disappoints.

Why the disappointment if a journeyman pro does win a tournament, even, perhaps, a major?

It's not as though the big names are giving the journeymen a few strokes or something.

The reason that watching golf at that level "never disappoints" is down to watching a tournament develop over four rounds, with all the inherent twists involved in that process - whoever ultimately emerges as the winner.

Besides, doesn't the occasional victory by an underdog stick in the mind? The unknown kid from Arkansas and the nine alternate for the 1991 PGA Championship walking away with trophy? Ian Baker-Finch winning at Birkdale in the same year, (and, as I recall, winning nothing thereafter)?

Why the disappointment if a journeyman pro does win a tournament, even, perhaps, a major? It's not as though the big names are giving the journeymen a few strokes or something. The reason that watching golf at that level "never disappoints" is down to watching a tournament develop over four rounds, with all the inherent twists involved in that process - whoever ultimately emerges as the winner. Besides, doesn't the occasional victory by an underdog stick in the mind? The unknown kid from Arkansas and the nine alternate for the 1991 PGA Championship walking away with trophy? Ian Baker-Finch winning at Birkdale in the same year, (and, as I recall, winning nothing thereafter)?

Because it's boring to watch, and it's been a trend this year. 99.99% of golf fans would rather see Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson in the final pairing on Sunday than Steven Bowditch and John Huh. Wouldn't you?

Because it's boring to watch, and it's been a trend this year. 99.99% of golf fans would rather see Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson in the final pairing on Sunday than Steven Bowditch and John Huh. Wouldn't you?

Well count me as part of the 0.01%, I'd rather see a close finish between relative unknowns rather than one of the Marquee names winning in a procession.

In a bit of irony, the theme song to the best golf movie of all time, Caddyshack , was written and performed by Dave Loggins' cousin, Kenny Loggins.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

All those guys were seen as young rising stars, though, when they won. I wouldn't call guys like Senden, Every or Bodwich young rising stars. Reed and Henley are, though.

Zach has definitely backed his Masters up and is one of the best players in the world now with just one major. Schwartzel's been pretty consistent, but hasn't racked up any wins in the States. Immelman is a shame....the guy has game but has just been killed with injuries. Unfortunately, same can be said for Oosthuizen who has been battling injury after injury the last couple years.

Fair point.  (I don't actually remember the perception of ZJ and Immelman prior to their Masters wins, I just remember that I knew very little about them)  I would be quite excited to watch Henley, Reed, or Spieth in contention on Sunday, but kinda let down if Every or one of those other guys won.

I just want it to be close at the end though. :)  Ideally, it gets to the back nine on Sunday and there are still 5 or 6 guys who are within a stroke or two of the lead.

Wow......No Tiger for the Masters......disapointing to say the least...

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Wow......No Tiger for the Masters......disapointing to say the least...

Yeah, I just saw that. There have been several April Fools day posts about TW and the Masters already but this seems like it may actually be legit.

http://www.tigerwoods.com/home

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah, I just saw that. There have been several April Fools day posts about TW and the Masters already but this seems like it may actually be legit.

http://www.tigerwoods.com/home

Yeah, just saw that too ...

Still leaning towards it being an April Fools joke, but we'll see.

Yeah, just saw that too ...

Still leaning towards it being an April Fools joke, but we'll see.

http://espn.go.com

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have good ole Graeme McDowell in the prediction thread, so all is well!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!