IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
I think if he learned to play more conservative, he could be a guy who consistently challenges in the majors.

It's the unorthodox approach that makes him so appealing. The commentary surrounding the 7 iron shot through the trees said it all, really. Feherty: "He's looking to lay up short." Faldo: "Um...no," (or words to that effect, followed by a fairly stunned silence). And the outcome of that wonderful shot (ending high above the hole), being substantially worse than the likely outcome of the straightforward lay up (a third shot of a straightforward pitch onto the the green), was the punch-line, really. He plays like a tenacious matchplay golfer, even when he's three up with a handful of holes left in a strokeplay tournament, that just happens to be a major championship, to boot.

1. Never said he was a bad dude. Don't put words in my mouth

2. Yes it separates him from the field, but it still doesn't make him a 'peoples' player

3. Fair enough

Didn't mean to make it out like you're calling him a bad dude.  Just trying to illustrate that he is not a flashy high roller.  Now buying Tiger's old mansion... that's another story.  I get your point and you get mine. :beer:

Has anybody else ever seen a pro who looks at the hole while he hits his short putts?  I don't think I have, although knowing how much they all like to tinker with their putting styles, I'm sure it's been tried.

I also would have never noticed it had they not mentioned it on the broadcast.

He does?  That's nuts.  Never noticed I guess cause I'm watching the stroke itself.  I tried that once and can't hit it straight unless I'm looking at the ball.

He does?  That's nuts.  Never noticed I guess cause I'm watching the stroke itself.  I tried that once and can't hit it straight unless I'm looking at the ball.

I believe he does it on the shorter putts (Inside 10ft), I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I can't believe the beating some of these commentators on Morning Drive and Live From are giving Jordan Spieth for slamming his club on the 10th hole.  Yea, it was bad form and you don't like to see that, but give me a break. I don't remember them jumping all over Tiger with his outbursts and tossing clubs all over the place.  The kid is 20 and he just blew a lead.  He handled himself well the rest of the week and was pretty gracious and humble.  I just think they are making a bigger deal out of it than they should.

I can't believe the beating some of these commentators on Morning Drive and Live From are giving Jordan Spieth for slamming his club on the 10th hole.  Yea, it was bad form and you don't like to see that, but give me a break. I don't remember them jumping all over Tiger with his outbursts and tossing clubs all over the place.  The kid is 20 and he just blew a lead.  He handled himself well the rest of the week and was pretty gracious and humble.  I just think they are making a bigger deal out of it than they should.

This is like a top five gripe of golf announcers and fans. They constantly criticize Tiger for slamming cubs and cursing.

I think its a dumb criticism regardless; its not hurting anyone, nor does anyone think its cute. It's pretty much a non-entity.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was none of that Augusta magic on Sunday, that is why it appeared boring...

Nothing happened on the second nine.  Sure there were great shots, but people want to see lead changes.  Either hard charges or collapses.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

This is like a top five gripe of golf announcers and fans. They constantly criticize Tiger for slamming cubs and cursing.

I think its a dumb criticism regardless; its not hurting anyone, nor does anyone think its cute. It's pretty much a non-entity.

Yea, I guess I didn't word that correctly.  I know what you mean.  I guess I'm just surprised that given how much guys like Tiger do it, they should cut him a break.

Yea, I guess I didn't word that correctly.  I know what you mean.  I guess I'm just surprised that given how much guys like Tiger do it, they should cut him a break.

Not to defend Tiger or anything like that, but do you remember the last time Tiger slammed a club? Just curious

I would have never noticed either but one of the announcers mentioned it.

I believe he does it on the shorter putts (Inside 10ft), I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, but I think it was only the really short ones ... like inside of 4 feet-ish, I think.

Racquet slamming is pretty prevalent in tennis. iirc, players don't get as much grief for it as they do in golf.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Racquet slamming is pretty prevalent in tennis. iirc, players don't get as much grief for it as they do in golf.

It's not.  Some of them do it occasionally, but its rare enough that they get crap for it.  Serena made the news sometime last year for doing it.

Yeah, but I think it was only the really short ones ... like inside of 4 feet-ish, I think.

I would think that he reserves that for putts where he can see the ball and the hole at the same time, so under 4'.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I would have never noticed either but one of the announcers mentioned it.

I would think that he reserves that for putts where he can see the ball and the hole at the same time, so under 4'.

Seems right. I remember Chamblee commenting on it.

Not to defend Tiger or anything like that, but do you remember the last time Tiger slammed a club? Just curious

He hasn't, it would have killed his back :dance:

I thought this, this morning while listening to the talking heads. The clubs hitting the balls was extra loud too. It probably exaggerated the thud of his club.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

For some reason I want to dislike Rickie, but I just can't!

Nail on the head. When he first came on the scene, I thought I'd dislike him. But every time I see him play or give an interview, I think more and more highly of him. Great for the game. And well said, TJBam.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

It's not.  Some of them do it occasionally, but its rare enough that they get crap for it.  Serena made the news sometime last year for doing it.

Lemme rephrase. Racquet mini slam. I don't mean the destroy your racquet, warning variety type. I mean the one or two swipes, racquet unharmed. I would think those are more equivalent to Spieth slamming his club to the ground or dropping it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Lemme rephrase. Racquet mini slam. I don't mean the destroy your racquet, warning variety. I mean the one or two swipes variety, racquet unharmed. I would think those are more equivalent to Spieth slamming his club to the ground or dropping it.

Ah, good point.  You say '"racquet slam" and I think of the ones where they actually destroy the thing to rubble and go grab a new one.  Golfers doing the equivalent is quite rare.  But I'd say that it's rare not just because of decorum or manners but also because they don't have a bag of 20 extra putters (or 7 irons) sitting on the bench next to them. :beer:

Also, tennis is so much more intense.  Lots of yelling and cursing at themselves (or towards their coaching box or the ump) in languages other than English.

Have we discussed enough (or at all??) how Bernhard Langer, yes Bernhard Langer!!!, went birdie, birdie, par, birdie over the final four holes yesterday to finish at even par and tied for 8th place in the tournament?!?!?!?!

Pretty impressive!

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!