IGNORED

Aimpoint help on reading putts 6ft and in

MattM
Note: This thread is 3646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So on long putts I'm doing pretty well with the reads and generally get the right direction and approximation of break.

My problem comes on the shorter flatter putts.  6ft and in Aimpoint is not working for me.  I do the mid point and try to get some break out of the read.  Mostly I'll make a "inside right/left" putt only to have if turn enough to miss the putt.

When I get the mid read I think I'm just in a spot where there is no slant and that slant doesn't start until after the mid read causing me to miss it.  Normally it's right around the hole.

Is there any trick you aimpointers have for figuring out breaks around the hole or closer etc...

If I had a fix for this issue I would literally drop 3-4 strokes a round bc I miss at least 3-4 shorter putts a round....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My problem comes on the shorter flatter putts.  6ft and in Aimpoint is not working for me.  I do the mid point and try to get some break out of the read.  Mostly I'll make a "inside right/left" putt only to have if turn enough to miss the putt.

You're using Aimpoint?  Because the bold doesn't sound very Aimpoint-y.

Remember that the numbers on the charts are measured from the edge of the hole, not the center.  So a 1 is one inch outside of the edge of the hole.  Maybe that is your issue?

Remember that the numbers on the charts are measured from the edge of the hole, not the center.  So a 1 is one inch outside of the edge of the hole.  Maybe that is your issue?

I don't know but isn't he talking about the 0's?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

This is one of those weird posts that leave me scratching my head.  Doesn't add ANYTHING to the discussion and really just serves to confuse people.  I guess it's possible you are asking because you are questioning whether I'm lying?  Funny.....I'm checking your posts and can tell you that I've been using aimpoint for longer than you have....

That said, thanks for taking me off topic for no reason.  If you would rather me say -1 or -.5 I can.  That will confuse most people though.  Do you have anything of benefit that will actually help my situation out?

• Upvote 1

I don't know but isn't he talking about the 0's?

Maybe.  I just thought since his example was him aiming inside the hole and missing low side, that maybe he forgot the rule and was talking about "1's" or "2's" and was mistakenly measuring them from the center of the cup.

My problem with short putts and Aimpoint was always the opposite.  I would try so hard to find some break - basically looking for an excuse to aim at a point outside the hole - that I would miss a lot of putts that way.

I finally had to remind myself that a lot of putts, especially short ones, can actually just be straight!! :doh:

This is one of those weird posts that leave me scratching my head.  Doesn't add ANYTHING to the discussion and really just serves to confuse people.  I guess it's possible you are asking because you are questioning whether I'm lying?  Funny.....I'm checking your posts and can tell you that I've been using aimpoint for longer than you have....

That said, thanks for taking me off topic for no reason.  If you would rather me say -1 or -.5 I can.  That will confuse most people though.  Do you have anything of benefit that will actually help my situation out?

Dude, I apologize but that wasn't supposed to come off as accusatory at all.  I was just asking because I honestly didn't know.

And, my second paragraph was also me just trying to help.  I will step out now.

• Administrator

@MattM , buddy, your post sounded odd to me too. You're asking for AimPoint help, so I think you can assume anyone who helps you will be familiar with what "-1" means. Plus Drew can play golf year-round, so he may have well surpassed the amount of AimPoint reads he's done. Geez…

First, there's no way that you're sensing things as flatter and then they're steepening near the hole. The mid-point of a six-foot putt barely leaves two feet around the hole for the slope to steepen? It isn't happening.

Spend some time gauging your slope % on the practice green - just on a piece of turf, not near a hole - and check yourself with a level. If you're missing all of your short putts low, you're just under-reading slope and thus under-reading the break.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe.  I just thought since his example was him aiming inside the hole and missing low side, that maybe he forgot the rule and was talking about "1's" or "2's" and was mistakenly measuring them from the center of the cup.

My problem with short putts and Aimpoint was always the opposite.  I would try so hard to find some break - basically looking for an excuse to aim at a point outside the hole - that I would miss a lot of putts that way.

I finally had to remind myself that a lot of putts, especially short ones, can actually just be straight!!

Alright!  Now we are getting somewhere.....I started off with that issue too.

This is exactly correct.  It's one of the first things you learn when you use aimpoint.  Here is the issue with it.  When you don't play on old school greens more like links green your midpoint could be flat.  The issue is then if it subtly breaks around the hole.

Has anything come up with a way to fix this issue?

@MattM, buddy, your post sounded odd to me too. You're asking for AimPoint help, so I think you can assume anyone who helps you will be familiar with what "-1" means. Geez…

First, there's no way that you're sensing things as flatter and then they're steepening near the hole. Spend some time gauging your slope % on the practice green - just on a piece of turf, not near the hole - and check yourself with a level. If you're missing all of your short putts low, you're just under-reading slope and thus under-reading the break.

See that's the issue!  ON occasion I've even gone to my golf cart and gotten my level to verify.  It's mystifying!!!!  I play Dauphin Highlands a lot and also Hershey Links. Those greens kill me.  When I play an older course Aimpoint is the bees knees.....

Has there ever been a situation where you've seen that at all?  If so you can't step next to the hole.  Do you try to like use your eyes then?  That sucks because I cannot use my eyes to read greens....

• Administrator
This is exactly correct.  It's one of the first things you learn when you use aimpoint.  Here is the issue with it.  When you don't play on old school greens more like links green your midpoint could be flat.  The issue is then if it subtly breaks around the hole.

That's not happening. You're under-estimating your slope. The slope is not going to change that much in six feet.

I don't do mid-point inside about eight feet. I use the old "walk a circle" method, for the most part. There's not much room and it's awkward to try to stand that close to the hole.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think you're reading something into @Golfingdad 's post that really isn't there. He's a good dude and just trying to help out. Your question wasn't that clear, I had to read it a few times times to figure out what you're asking.

If the putt is breaking more than you read, it's probably not as flat as you feel it. Something is off in how you're reading these putts, try working on your slope percentage, maybe with a level. You might be feeling 1% when it's actually 2%, can definitely make a difference.

EDIT: Erik beat me to it lol

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That's not happening. You're under-estimating your slope. The slope is not going to change that much in six feet.

I don't do mid-point inside about eight feet. I use the old "walk a circle" method, for the most part. There's not much room and it's awkward to try to stand that close to the hole.

See this is what really confuses me....  I never was taught that circle method.....  Sometimes after I get done cussing about it i'll pull the putt back and try again with a higher aim and miss high.....

My only other explanation for this could possibly be that we have shitty grounds guys and they leave a crown when they make the holes....

I've also been trying to kind of half walk the circle and make it look like I'm looking behind the hole to see the inflection, but I am just not good at that....It's starting to get frustrating for me since I paid so much to learn this, and am now losing confidence......

So to train indoors the feet....do you have a way to make a subtle incline somehow?

Golfingdad I apologize.  I did read that wrong, or I read it right but interpreted wrong because I'm in a bad mood from work.....  Anyway,  I apologize....

• Administrator

How do you know for certain that you're hitting your lines and with good speed? You wouldn't be the first guy in the world to push and pull putts.

That was my first problem. My alignment was off and I was getting wristy in my stroke.  I did a couple of things to fix that issue...

I found an aid that helped me determine whether I was lined up with my eyes over the line and where to line up the ball in my stance with my dominant eye.  It's called sightright.  I also got a fat putter grip which has helped me immensely.

I hit straight putts no problem and I check on the greens if I'm actually putting the ball where I want on the read by using tees where I THINK the break will go, and I've been very accurate.

The last issue I have here is with the read.  I will admit that with every miss it causes my confidence in the system to drop.  I'll look at the book and second guess myself too.  I guess it could just be confidence.....

is there some sort of way to train feet on slope indoors?

Oh I forgot to add that your post on the putter shape with the eyes was extremely helpful.  It helped me determine which shape actually work with my eyes to determine if I was lined up straight.  God is that a weird concept, but dead on accurate.....

• Administrator

The last issue I have here is with the read.  I will admit that with every miss it causes my confidence in the system to drop.  I'll look at the book and second guess myself too.  I guess it could just be confidence.....

The system is perfectly accurate. You're either putting in bad inputs (bad slope %, stimp, etc.) or you're pushing/pulling or getting the speed wrong.

Odds are you're plugging in the wrong slope %.

The system is perfectly accurate. You're either putting in bad inputs (bad slope %, stimp, etc.) or you're pushing/pulling or getting the speed wrong.

Odds are you're plugging in the wrong slope %.

That came out wrong...I'm not saying the system isn't accurate....I'm saying sometimes I see a number and can't believe it's that high or I don't TRUST the slope I THINK I got or some other of 90 different things that cause me to miss the putt....

I'm going to try to make some sort of way for me to practice the slope with my feet indoors somehow....  I will say I can easily tell the difference between 2 and 3 degrees of slope, but it's not a night and day difference for 0 to 1 or 1-2....  That's where I have my problems.  When the green is like that I'm basically lost...

• Administrator

I'm going to try to make some sort of way for me to practice the slope with my feet indoors somehow....

I wouldn't. Grass and dirt (greens) will feel different than a board.

I will say I can easily tell the difference between 2 and 3 degrees of slope, but it's not a night and day difference for 0 to 1 or 1-2....  That's where I have my problems.  When the green is like that I'm basically lost...

It may have been a typo, but AimPoint is % slope, not degrees. 1° is… nearly 2% slope. 2° is 3.5% slope.

I just pulled out my Husky level from my bag and turned it on and sure enough I was going to the degree setting and not the percentage setting.......

Thanks for pointing that out.  Could definitely be part of my problem.

Note: This thread is 3646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!