IGNORED

Handicap Ethics Question

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm taking a golf vacation with a bunch of friends and we're playing 4 rounds of golf in a type of tournament setting with cash prizes.  Everyone has to bring their official handicap cards with them.

I am a bit conflicted because at the end of last season I figured some things out and played better than my handicap (up to 4 strokes better) but because it was late in the season, the scores couldn't be posted.  I haven't been able to play a round yet this year, so I have no idea if what I did at the end of the season will carry over but I don't want to be seen as a sandbagger.

Given my current handicap I'll be getting the most strokes out of everyone, most of them are around a 10-15.  Any advice?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't worry about it.  Just play and have fun.  The handicap will work itself out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Your handicap is your handicap.

And you haven't played in months, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm taking a golf vacation with a bunch of friends and we're playing 4 rounds of golf in a type of tournament setting with cash prizes.  Everyone has to bring their official handicap cards with them.

I am a bit conflicted because at the end of last season I figured some things out and played better than my handicap (up to 4 strokes better) but because it was late in the season, the scores couldn't be posted.  I haven't been able to play a round yet this year, so I have no idea if what I did at the end of the season will carry over but I don't want to be seen as a sandbagger.

Given my current handicap I'll be getting the most strokes out of everyone, most of them are around a 10-15.  Any advice?

Offer to play at a lower handicap than your official index. You may not win money, but you certainly won't be perceived as a sandbagger if you cut your own handicap.

Your handicap is your handicap. And you haven't played in months, too.

This. Sometimes the rules help, sometimes they don't. If the situation were reversed, would you ask for extra strokes?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not sure I understand why the scores couldn't be posted?

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

Not sure I understand why the scores couldn't be posted?

Probably out of season scores.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I'm still confused...

Never hear of an "out of season" score?

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

I'm still confused...

In some of the northern states, they have off seasons for golf. I read in a few posts that they stop allowing people from posting any new scores. Not sure why, as golfers could travel to warmer climates, and it seems harsh not to allow them to post any rounds toward their handicap.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm still confused...

In some of the northern states, they have off seasons for golf. I read in a few posts that they stop allowing people from posting any new scores. Not sure why, as golfers could travel to warmer climates, and it seems harsh not to allow them to post any rounds toward their handicap.

Here's the relevant page from the USGA: http://www.usga.org/handicapping/education/revision_schedule/handicap-revision-schedule/

It's not an issue in Texas but there are periods around here where your scores get impacted significantly by abnormal conditions: i.e.: Temporary greens, fairways buried in leaves, balls plugging or stopping dead, semi-frozen greens and so on...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Being from arizona I don't understand this out of season statement. Is this more for a men's club rule then actually tracking your handicap?

Kurt

• Administrator

If you travel to a place that's in-season, you post your score.

Being from arizona I don't understand this out of season statement. Is this more for a men's club rule then actually tracking your handicap?

See the link above. It's USGA policy, not a men's club rule.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm with @iacas and @David in FL .  Sometimes the rules help you, sometimes they hurt you.  I'd say at least start off with your current official handicap.  If your improvements all carry over despite the long winter layoff and you put up a couple 82s or whatever the first two days, and if these are good friends and you feel like it's the right thing to do, maybe you could take a couple fewer strokes the last couple rounds?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Win the darn thing and treat your friends to drinks, meal, whatever is appropriate afterward :beer: .   Go bogey golfers, go!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Thanks for all the insight and advice.  I think I'll see how the first two days go and if I play close to how I was at end of last season (I hope so) I'll adjust things to make them right.  I'll blame it on Erik and the 5SK.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks for all the insight and advice.  I think I'll see how the first two days go and if I play close to how I was at end of last season (I hope so) I'll adjust things to make them right.  I'll blame it on Erik and the 5SK.

There is one other option you might want to consider......recommend that everyone play off a % of everyone's handicap.  80% as an example.  That lowers higher handicap players by more strokes than those with lower hcps while retaining use of the official handicaps.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!