IGNORED

Newbie Golfer And Pains: Something To Worry About?

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey All!

So I am a really green golfer...like only been swinging a club for 2 months now.  I am 27 and in the relatively good shape.  6'1" 190 pounds. Right handed golfer.  I have a permanent "C" shape in my upper spine from a accident as a child, however I make it 99% straight on my golf swing.  I have had a couple lessons and the instructor said I have good hip/shoulder rotation and range of motion.

I started golfing as something to do just for fun with my friends...but I am a little bit competitive (especially with myself) and I am now hooked.  Bad.  Like it is all I want to do and think about :-$

2 months ago, I was at the driving range and hitting my second bucket of balls...I know, probably too much too soon, and I felt fine.  Later that evening I started to have a dull pain under my left shoulder blade, apart of the Dorssi I would assume.  I went to bed and the next morning it was really stiff...I rested it for a week and it became better.  After that week, I went on a work golf trip and BLAM-O! I over-swung bad, casting, everything you're not supposed to do. Sharp pain in the exact same spot and that lasted 2 weeks straight.  My right side close to the ribs were very tender as well.

I rested it for 3 weeks, and it has been feeling fine.  I worked on some little chipping a couple days ago, no pain.  I practice swung my PW with no problems.  Took a couple swings with my 3 wood and if stretched my back out a bit and felt amazing.  Next morning, that same spot, just under my left shoulder blade, was a little tight.  Not pain, just tight.  I am assuming it is a muscle pull that is healing, but light swinging actually makes it feel better.  I have been doing stretches and using a golf ball on the floor to work out the tightness as well.

So I guess my question is, are these normal pains that every beginner golfer goes through?  I haven't used my back muscles since probably high-school, so obviously I am using muscles that aren't used to operating in such a twisting motion.  Well light working out and stretching condition these muscles?  Or am I hurting myself and just need to lay off golf for while?  I feel like if I don't do a little bit that the muscles will never become conditioned to the movements...

Sorry for the long winded post...thanks if you've read it this far!

Welcome to The Sand Trap. :beer:

You don't really want your back "straight" as it can cause issues in the swing as well as injury or pain.

Check this thread out:

This may help the issue but if continues I would go see an osteo or chiro.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to The Sand Trap.

You don't really want your back "straight" as it can cause issues in the swing as well as injury or pain.

Check this thread out:

This may help the issue but if continues I would go see an osteo or chiro.

Thanks for the link!

Since I have that natural C-shape in my upper back from the injury, I pretty much look exactly like that posture wise haha.  I physically can't straighten the tip top section from the top of my shoulder blades to my neck...so if that thread is correct, I have good posture.  I guess when I said "99%" straight, I was referring to the section from the lower center of my shoulder blades to the base of my rear.

I would like to mention I have absolutely no lower back pain.  All the pain is under that left shoulder blade and sometimes carries over a little to my left side.

Note: This thread is 3648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!