IGNORED

short irons draw and long irons, wood, driver cut

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So...I have been playing 18 holes once a week for the past 2-3 months but due to work schedule have not had much time to practice in between rounds. Scores have been pretty frustrating, 95-110 lately. Would love to break 90.

Within the past 10 days I have been able to carve out a few range sessions and have noticed the same thing happening, repeatedly. My sw,pw,6-9 are all decent draws but my 3-5, 3wood, driver are all hard cuts. I am not "intentionally" trying to do either but just wondering if this is somewhat common and if there is any good drills to help fix? (get the longer clubs drawing).

On the cut shots w/ longer clubs, contact feels and sounds solid but I would say about 40% of the time they cut too hard and would be flirting with ob on an actual course. Im also not sure if its a good idea to rely on only this shot with longer clubs? (not sarcasm a real question) I know there is a number of great players throughout the history of the game who played it but I would imagine in there cases the flight and curve of the ball were consistent and in their control.

Anyways - any help / suggestions would be appreciated!

Maybe coming over the top with the longer clubs..? Or, could you be holding on, i.e. where you kinda swing outward, but your hands are facing up and down..?  I'm just guessing here, as I'm no expert. Maybe post a swing with one of the longer clubs so folks could see what your doing.? anyhow, hope you get some good advice to fix that.  Oh, one other thing, are you griping the longer clubs the same, or are you gripping with a weak grip..?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe coming over the top with the longer clubs..? Or, could you be holding on, i.e. where you kinda swing outward, but your hands are facing up and down..?  I'm just guessing here, as I'm no expert. Maybe post a swing with one of the longer clubs so folks could see what your doing.? anyhow, hope you get some good advice to fix that.  Oh, one other thing, are you griping the longer clubs the same, or are you gripping with a weak grip..?

your right - I def. need to post a video here...the classic over the top could be creeping back in my swing. I had a bunch of lessons and did a ton of work last year to correct that. I definitely do not intentionally grip with different pressure but I will take note next time to make sure it is always consistent. thanks for the reply

I know that swing because I used to do that. Mine were slight draws with the short irons to straight with the mid irons to fades with the long irons. I used to think of it as an "S". You probably have a fairly decent swing with your wedges because the ball is closer to you, in the middle of your stance with a steeper angle of attack. As the club gets longer, you tend to swing harder and come over the top. Any side spin is magnified with a less lofted club. With your longer clubs, your arms are probably fully extended in the middle of your backswing. A slice is caused by going over the top. That simply means you are starting your swing with your arms and hands, not your lower body. You are unhinging your wrists to early. You are "casting" your club like it were a fishing pole. For every "you" and "your" in my sentences, I could replace it with "I" and "my". After all that, I recommend watching some training vids on the swing particularly any that concentrate on "Lag". You can freeze frame the vids right at the point where the club contacts the ball. Notice the position of the head, arms (particularly the left arm), hips, hands and club in relation to the ball. The club should still have some forward lean, producing a downward strike on the ball with the divot AFTER the ball. That's the trick. How do you get your body and swing in that position? You hit the golf ball with the left side of your body. Work on getting your lower body and hips in that position while keeping your head behind the ball (ie don't move your head from it's starting position since it was already behind the ball). Practice your downswing in super slow motion (without a ball), making sure you are keeping your swing on an INSIDE OUT PATH. Not too much though. A nice draw can turn into an ugly hook. Gradually speed up and when you feel like you're ready, start hitting balls with half swings. I'm cheap. I hit balls in my backyard off a mat into a net. When you're ready, take it to the range. Don't overswing. Make solid contact. It's difficult to learn anything at full speed. Start slow and build your swing. BTW, I've been as low as a 2 handicap. A good ball striker, but not a very consistent putter.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!