IGNORED

TaylorMade Proposes 15 Inch holes!

Bechambo
Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you be for a 15" cup as an option for golfers?

• Dedicated 15" cup courses. (Absolutely)
    • Alternate days. (Sometimes)
    • Maybe for April fools. (Rarely)
    • I'll play persimmons 'till the day I die. (Never)

Went to a course today and every hole had a 15 inch hole and a normal hole. Man did it surprise us. All I can say is that if you play those holes that's a big shot to the ego. And by a big shot I mean a 15 inch shot

A 15" hole would definately get me back to single digits again. Seriously though, when I first saw a similar article a few months ago, my first thought was it was too big. If the powers to be want to make it bigger, I would think a 6" hole would be big enough. 7" max. I know I miss quite a few putts that would have gone into a 5.25" cup, so 6 inches seems wide enough.

Better yet, just leave it as it is.

I have played in fund raising tournaments for Juvenile Diabetes that used an 8" hole. Before the tournament the greens people would come and actually cut an 8" hole in every green. They usually cut it in a very difficult part of the green, usually on a slope, or shoulder area. .

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went to a course today and every hole had a 15 inch hole and a normal hole. Man did it surprise us. All I can say is that if you play those holes that's a big shot to the ego. And by a big shot I mean a 15 inch shot

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Why would it be a shot to the ego?  Did having a bigger hole mean you were a better player or that the score you had was in any way comparable to previous scores you had shot with a standard sized hole? For me this would no more be a boost to my ego than if I just got a scorecard and wrote down a bunch of low numbers on it without even playing.

Ummm it would be a shot to the ego cause you would be taking the easy way out and for some people, me included, it would seem like a totally different sport

Ummm it would be a shot to the ego cause you would be taking the easy way out and for some people, me included, it would seem like a totally different sport

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by shot to the ego.  I thought you meant it in a positive way, as in a boost to the ego.  But if you meant it in a negative way, as in your ego getting shot down a bit, then I misunderstood and I now agree with you.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by shot to the ego.  I thought you meant it in a positive way, as in a boost to the ego.  But if you meant it in a negative way, as in your ego getting shot down a bit, then I misunderstood and I now agree with you.

Haha ok sorry about not stating it in a clear way. My bad

:naughty::loco::no::naughty:

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I thought this was a joke....

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

To me this seems ridiculous but then you read articles like this = http://www.cbsnews.com/news/where-have-all-the-golfers-gone/ .... I preferred the whole "tee it forward" concept for amautuers and older players.

callaway.gif   FT-i driver,  FT 4-wood,  X Utility Prototype 18* hybrid-iron / Big Bertha Diablo 3 & 4  hybrids

Tour Preferred CB 5-PW irons

callaway.gif   X-Forged 52*, X-Forged 56*/58*, X-Forged 64*  wedges  

Daddy Long Legs (38'') putter

:nike:RZN Platinum ball

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this in my email yesterday: http://www2.cybergolf.com/newsletters/viewblast.asp?id=444557&courseid;=1892

Desert Willow resort (Palm Desert) is having a 15" cup day on August 17th.

Perhaps @tristanhilton85 or @Bechambo , or both, would be interested in checking it out.

P.S.  It's only projected to be in the low 100's that day. :bugout:

EDIT:  Interesting to me is the wording of a couple of sentences.  "Test out our new 15" cups," and "15 inch cup play starts on August 17th."

It leaves me inclined to think that this isn't a one-time deal, and perhaps could be even something that they'll do frequently???

• Administrator

I just got this in my email yesterday:  http://www2.cybergolf.com/newsletters/viewblast.asp?id=444557&courseid;=1892

Desert Willow resort (Palm Desert) is having a 15" cup day on August 17th.

Perhaps @tristanhilton85 or @Bechambo , or both, would be interested in checking it out.

P.S.  It's only projected to be in the low 100's that day.

EDIT:  Interesting to me is the wording of a couple of sentences.  "Test out our new 15" cups," and "15 inch cup play starts on August 17th."

It leaves me inclined to think that this isn't a one-time deal, and perhaps could be even something that they'll do frequently???

Y'all should go do it and report back.

I'll play one here if they have one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting concept. Not my cup of tea but I'm not against it. Golf is heading (if its not already there) towards some very tough times, in my opinion. I think unless the stiffs from the usga and the R&A; don't get off their asses and really give this game a facelift then we will see more and more courses shutting down more (smaller) companies being bought out or closing shop and a general decline in the game all around.

Have a tournament on the pga, europe and lpga tour that have a large size cup (maybe 10 inches) but make the greens wicked fast with major breaks and completely protected by sand and water on every hole. make fairways tighter and the rough longer and thicker. and see how it goes over with players and fans. one course, one time gamble. very low risk with high reward. remember if it doesnt go over well the holes can be filled as they always are, the grass can be cut as it always is and greens can be repaired.

As I said before would I want to play this all the time, no! and not 15 inches but to everyone that said they would never play on a bigger hole idea, how many of us still use "actual woods"? the game changes and evolves all the time (except the rules hint hint). I think it should be scored on the hc index differently. But the general idea from taylormade is actually a good one.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

This would cut down on my putts by a lot. I tend to miss a lot of puts within a few inches one side or the other. Other than that I don't think it would help out scores much at all.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Being the most amateur of amatuers in this forum, how about an opinion?

I saw some of you say the long game is what gives most beginners a problem. Might be true, but not for me. Not saying I don't whiff about 50% of the time or have my share of wormburners and the like, but hitting the ball is the fun part. Putting sucks. I suck at it. I struggle to find a word which acurately describes the level of suckitude. And the notion of just putting twice and taking a 6 on the hole sucks too because you don't really get a "score" like that. You just took a score. That idea sounds completely unsatisfying to me. So the 15" hole, for me, would be really cool until I become better at golf and better at putting.

That said, why does it have to be a literal hole? Why not just chalk a 15" circle around the hole? Or even the 8" size some courses have. Now you have two holes without having to dig a second literal hole. Experienced players putt for the cup, and beginners can claim the hole if they get it into the circle.

I know somebody may be about to tell me why chalk on the course will bring down the wrath of the Golf Gods and ruin the game as we know it, but seems like a reasonable idea that would save a lot of wear on the greens and still get the job done.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Being the most amateur of amatuers in this forum, how about an opinion?

I saw some of you say the long game is what gives most beginners a problem. Might be true, but not for me. Not saying I don't whiff about 50% of the time or have my share of wormburners and the like, but hitting the ball is the fun part. Putting sucks. I suck at it. I struggle to find a word which acurately describes the level of suckitude. And the notion of just putting twice and taking a 6 on the hole sucks too because you don't really get a "score" like that. You just took a score. That idea sounds completely unsatisfying to me. So the 15" hole, for me, would be really cool until I become better at golf and better at putting.

That said, why does it have to be a literal hole? Why not just chalk a 15" circle around the hole? Or even the 8" size some courses have. Now you have two holes without having to dig a second literal hole. Experienced players putt for the cup, and beginners can claim the hole if they get it into the circle.

I know somebody may be about to tell me why chalk on the course will bring down the wrath of the Golf Gods and ruin the game as we know it, but seems like a reasonable idea that would save a lot of wear on the greens and still get the job done.

My wife is similar.  She will have her share of bad shots on her way to the green, but once she gets there ... wow.  If I put her 15' away from the hole with a flat putt, I would say there is a better chance that she'd end up 20' beyond (I'm not kidding) than anywhere near it.  A 15" cup would be a godsend for her.

But I think your chalk idea wouldn't work for the same reason you don't like just putting twice and taking a 6.  You're not really getting a score and there is no "closure," if you will.  Hmm, did that last one graze the inside edge of the chalk, or the outside?  Would it have fallen if there were a cup there?  I don't know.

I mostly agree with you that I think the 15" cups are a good idea for beginners or just to create some excitement.  If a course by me (Palm Springs doesn't quite count ;)) does one soon, I will probably give it a shot.  And I think the wife will love it.

Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!