IGNORED

Regarding Masters Snubbing Active Major Winners (and Other Players)

club ho
Note: This thread is 3636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And your point is?

I believe his point was sarcasm.

No, no point.  In fact, this is getting tedious.  I think I'll go pour a glass of wine, make a big SALAD, and watch some basketball.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• Administrator

@club ho, let's be honest here: Padraig Harrington is ranked #174 in the OWGR. He's playing like crap (for a PGA Tour player).

Just want to make sure that doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

174th.

A list of the illustrious players ahead of him includes:

Marco Crespi

Gaganjeet Bhullar

Siddikur Rahman

Wu Ashun

Jaco Van Zyl

Emiliano Grillo

Julien Quesne

Romain Wattel

Greg Bourdy

Hennie Otto

Anirban Lahiri

Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Harrington might have provided a bit more useful competition in the 2014 Masters than, say, Woosie or Sandy Lyle; but they earned their invites for life back in the '80s and early '90s - much as Harrington, in 2007, earned his guaranteed invite to the Open until his 60th birthday.

I understand the rules about guaranteed entry into major tournaments for former winners past their prime might seem unfair to up and coming players, and also to established players who otherwise fall short of the entry criteria, but such entries add to the charm of the major tournaments, and there doesn't seem to be a strong case for bending them to accommodate (in this instance) the 174th ranked player.

Harrington might have provided a bit more useful competition in the 2014 Masters than, say, Woosie or Sandy Lyle; but they earned their invites for life back in the '80s and early '90s - much as Harrington, in 2007, earned his guaranteed invite to the Open until his 60th birthday.

I understand the rules about guaranteed entry into major tournaments for former winners past their prime might seem unfair to up and coming players, and also to established players who otherwise fall short of the entry criteria, but such entries add to the charm of the major tournaments, and there doesn't seem to be a strong case for bending them to accommodate (in this instance) the 174th ranked player.

I believe this is the best comment I have read about this issue. Obviously it is what it is and Paddy will not play this year. If and when Paddy picks off another major I will be back to remind the unbelievers on this board.

@club ho ,

We are not saying that we don't like Harrington or that we don't want him to play better.  We are just stating that he is not playing up to the level required by the Masters for entry.  You are responding like we all hate Harrington when that is not the case.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I believe this is the best comment I have read about this issue. Obviously it is what it is and Paddy will not play this year. If and when Paddy picks off another major I will be back to remind the unbelievers on this board.

He may very well do that, but he is not playing to the level required to compete right now. It's plain old stick-your-head-in-the-sand-plug-your-ears-and-hum-a-tune to suggest otherwise.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would love to see it. Until then....

Bill M

Maybe those who are "snubbed" could play in the par-3 event, because that last time I looked the Master is an invitational tournament. The most limited field of any major, which makes it the toughest to get into and some say the easiest to win. "Easy" because there are so many who are invited, but have no realistic chance come Sunday.

If the players who are active on tour feel like they are being snubbed then they can either win a tournament, or place high enough for long enough to get into the top 50 OWGR.

This is not an Open championship, nor is it one in which PGA club professionals can play well in their qualifying event to gain entry - not diminishing anyone who qualifies for either Open or the PGA; but the Masters is and hopefully always will be an invitational event.

Players play, tough players win!

Maybe those who are "snubbed" could play in the par-3 event, because that last time I looked the Master is an invitational tournament. The most limited field of any major, which makes it the toughest to get into and some say the easiest to win. "Easy" because there are so many who are invited, but have no realistic chance come Sunday.

Yes if you've won a major you can play in the par 3 tournament, also includes past US and British Amateur champions.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

even though that tournament accidentally happened to be the 2005 PGA Championship (just an example - don't really know who that might have been and I'm not bothering to look it up).  That would be unfair to

You might be pleased to know that the guy who won the 2005 PGA Championship is invited to compete in the 2014 Masters, and I think he's expected to play, too. However, his invite criteria for this year's event wasn't because of his status as the 2005 PGA Champion.

That has nothing to do with the point I was making.  I picked a year out of a hat and what actually happened that year was irrelevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-troop

the British Open (yeah, I know the real name) claiming to have tradition.  Think about what the Open Championship field

I'm pretty sure you know which major tournament actually has the phrase "Open Championship" on its trophy...

So what?  You are just arguing for arguing's sake, not to make a point which is pertinent to the discussion.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

That has nothing to do with the point I was making.  I picked a year out of a hat and what actually happened that year was irrelevant.

I think it backs up your point -- some past active major winners found ways to qualify, independent of their non-Masters major wins.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Its their own tournament and its nice to see something a bit different in terms of qualifying. Its the only major always played on the same course, should they take it on the road as well?

Its their own tournament and its nice to see something a bit different in terms of qualifying. Its the only major always played on the same course, should they take it on the road as well?

Sure it's their own tournament, but it's one of the key events in the golf world in determining the world number one.  Having the best golfers on the planet should be the goal if the Masters has so much weight in the world rankings.  Beating invitees of has-beens, oldtimers, amateurs shouldn't have the weight of the other majors.

Damn you are right, the Masters is just so easy to win!  While they are at it they could rename it the Augusta WGC. The current best players are always there. If an Ernie or whoever has a form slump that's life. In reality his omission probably motivated him to get his game in order and win the next Open!

Damn you are right, the Masters is just so easy to win!  While they are at it they could rename it the Augusta WGC. The current best players are always there. If an Ernie or whoever has a form slump that's life. In reality his omission probably motivated him to get his game in order and win the next Open!

Na is 14th in FedEx and sitting at home.  Bllixt is 100th.  Both have played nearly the same number of events this season. I'm not so sure the "current" best are there. There are others on the FEDEX list that could easily be on the top of this leaderboard. Is Weir really among the best? O'Meara? Craig Stadler - some of the players can't even win on the champions tour.  The tournament is set up to propagate the success of it's winners. Can you imagine other sports' championships where winners get automatic bids the following seasons based on their one-time success?

Note: This thread is 3636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!