IGNORED

Regarding Masters Snubbing Active Major Winners (and Other Players)

club ho
Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Ernie is the same place that Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelsen, Luke Donald, Jason Dufner, Sergio, and Zach Johnson are - watching on TV with the rest of us.  Even Hank Haney agrees - said it today. This is the weakest field of the four majors and I agree with him.  When Lucas Glover makes a cut while these top players are home, there's definitely a tricked-up, goofiness to this course as I've always said (been to several Masters at Augusta National).

Hank Haney agrees with your opinion . You can take any opinion in the world and find someone to agree with it. That alone doesn't change how valid your opinion is.

The qualifying criteria were posted above, and so was the criteria for the British Open. Please point out the differences, as that will display the differences in the strength of field. The Opens both allow a bunch of people to qualify - they just don't automatically exempt former winners… except when they do. :-P Post #106 just above.

The PGA actually has the strongest field. Or the Players Championship, you could argue.

Lucas Glover qualified . Kevin Na didn't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Ernie is the same place that Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelsen, Luke Donald, Jason Dufner, Sergio, and Zach Johnson are - watching on TV with the rest of us.  Even Hank Haney agrees - said it today. This is the weakest field of the four majors and I agree with him.  When Lucas Glover makes a cut while these top players are home, there's definitely a tricked-up, goofiness to this course as I've always said (been to several Masters at Augusta National).

Hank Haney agrees with your opinion. You can take any opinion in the world and find someone to agree with it. That alone doesn't change how valid your opinion is.

The qualifying criteria were posted above, and so was the criteria for the British Open. Please point out the differences, as that will display the differences in the strength of field. The Opens both allow a bunch of people to qualify - they just don't automatically exempt former winners… except when they do. :-P Post #106 just above.

The PGA actually has the strongest field. Or the Players Championship, you could argue.

Lucas Glover qualified. Kevin Na didn't.

And someone made a negative comment earlier on Blixt, who is now just one back of the leaders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

When Lucas Glover makes a cut while these top players are home, there's definitely a tricked-up, goofiness to this course as I've always said (been to several Masters at Augusta National).

As far as tricked up goofiness (which I strongly disagree with), US Open rough, British Open quirky layouts with weird bounces and impossible bunkers, even the Player's with having to thread their way through a swamp - they could all be called tricked up.  That is part of what makes them Major tests of golf (or nearly so in the case of Sawgrass), and Augusta National is right there with the rest.

If this is all the ammo you have lefty after your quirky logic has been exposed, well... enough said.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

And someone made a negative comment earlier on Blixt, who is now just one back of the leaders.   Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin [URL=/t/73704/regarding-masters-snubbing-active-major-winners-and-other-players/90#post_975793][IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG][/URL]    When Lucas Glover makes a cut while these top players are home, there's definitely a tricked-up, goofiness to this course as I've always said (been to several Masters at Augusta National).
As far as tricked up goofiness (which I strongly disagree with), US Open rough, British Open quirky layouts with weird bounces and impossible bunkers, even the Player's with having to thread their way through a swamp - they could all be called tricked up.  That is part of what makes them Major tests of golf (or nearly so in the case of Sawgrass), and Augusta National is right there with the rest.   If this is all the ammo you have lefty after your quirky logic has been exposed, well... enough said.

Seriously! Rick is the first person I've heard complain that the Masters is tricked up and has "funhouse" greens. The Nasters has always seemed to me to be the very fairest of them all. Hit it in the right spot and you get rewarded with birdie opportunities, even eagle opportunities on the par 5's From where I sit, only #11 is a hole where you must just hold on for dear life and pray for a par. But everything on this course is entirely predictable. Stay in position and score, but get out of position and watch out. ANGC is the epitome of fair.

Yeah like Ernie, Johnson, Mickelson, Donald, Dufner, Garcia have never missed a cut in another major Gotta be the course :doh:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Seriously! Rick is the first person I've heard complain that the Masters is tricked up and has "funhouse" greens. The Nasters has always seemed to me to be the very fairest of them all.

~~McCord still banned from the Masters

http://www.the20thhole.net/2011/04/mccord-still-banned-from-masters.html

Hey Ricky Martin, if you hate the Masters so much why are you cluttering all of our Masters threads with your jaded nonsense?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Hey Ricky Martin, if you hate the Masters so much why are you cluttering all of our Masters threads with your jaded nonsense?

Been wondering this for about a week now.

• Upvote 1

Been wondering this for about a week now.

Maybe he got banned from the "Competitive Bitching and Marathon Moaning" site and just has to make do with TST in the interim.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Good news for Rick Martin - Kevin Na is scheduled to play in the RBC, maybe he can work on qualifying for NEXT years Masters (or The Open Championship).

FWIW - I looked up Kevin Na's record at the majors - he has:

Masters - played in 4, missed the cut twice, best finish T12 2012

US Open - played in 3, missed the cut twice, best finish T29 2012

British - played in 3, missed the cut twice, best finish T27 2010

PGA - played in 4 (plus 1 WD), missed the cut once, best finish T10 2011

He is currently ranked #70 in the OWGR, with 1 career PGA win, 1 Asian tour win, 1 Web.com win - a nice ranking, but hardly someone who "deserves" an automatic bid.

Players play, tough players win!

I guess Rick Martin can now start complaining about Stewart Cink (2009 Open Champion) losing his invite to the Masters, as his time has run out on his Open Championship and he just finished outside the top 12 and will have to find another way to play himself back into the field. BTW, Cink is ranked 148 in the WGR do he's not getting in that way.

Bill M

• Administrator

I guess Rick Martin can now start complaining about Stewart Cink (2009 Open Champion) losing his invite to the Masters, as his time has run out on his Open Championship and he just finished outside the top 12 and will have to find another way to play himself back into the field.

Yeah, it's now top 12. This was cut back recently: http://www.augusta.com/masters/players/qualifications .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!