IGNORED

Does your swing deteriorate through your round?

Note: This thread is 1877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes I am just as inconsistant as you. One day I will shoot an 87, next round is 97. I can't play or practice too much or my entire play goes horribly wrong. I need at least a few days rest in between rounds and practice.

So try that? Give yourslelf some rest, don't go hittin 500 balls on the range either. VJ Singh would get tired with that many balls.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• 1 year later...

Definitely happening to me right now and here are my two cents:

1) Think it typically happens to people making a meaningful change to their swing

2) When you are tired, you regress to your old swing (rooted somewhere deeper in your muscle memory)

Oh yes! I feel this almost every time I play. I have played golf for 50 years (on and off) and consider myself a novice meaning that... just this year, I decided to get truly serious and push in to studying the game and its mechanics. Well, that has been quite a journey with all the different programs and ideas of the swing out there. So my journey ended when I found the 5 Simple Keys program. For they main reason that this topic states.... and the question that it brings.... WHAT do I do when my swing deteriorates?  I used to drive myself crazy with dozens of thoughts... move this, try this, switch to this... ARG!  Now.... I just use the first two keys.... take it back to the basics. Keep a steady head and make sure I am bringing my weight forward.  I don't purport to have any of the answers (I have humbled too many times by the game), and this might not be your silver bullet to get back on track... but it has definitely helped. Oh... one last thing... I have added a Sixth Key.... Keep a Cool Head.  Hmmm... still working on that one! (smile)

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the post above is on the right track.  I used to suffer from the same thing.  Start off good and think I'm really going to kill it today and wham, sh!t.

I finally realized, that after playing well I start to get a little too loose.  The biggest problem, for me, is I start to sway and move my head.  My main swing thought(s) now are to keep an athletic setup and don't move my head.  I may have an errant drive here or there but nothing systemic.  I typically finish my round stronger than I start, at least when I'm riding a cart.  When I walk in 95* and 100% humidity I can turn into a limp dishrag (and my head starts moving).

BTW, I finally came to this realization when playing fairway bunkers.  I couldn't understand why I hit so well out of fairway bunkers and not from the turf.  When I'm in a bunker, my only thought is to keep my head and lower body still.  If I don't have a big lip in front of me and am not buried, I hit a lot of greens.  So I transferred the main thought of keeping the head still to all my shots (I do have some lower body movement on non bunker shots), and no more late round fades.

I think that is why steady head is Key #1.  I think steady head should be Key 1, 2, 3. :-)

In a post last year, I mentioned I played the Innisbrook Copperhead course.  This is a brutal course.  Site of the Valspar Classic that Speith won this year.  I had just broken the shaft on my driver so I had to play with my 3 wood off the tee all round.  This 3 wood never fades.  Only draws and hooks.  I will snap this thing if I don't really concentrate.  So my only thought is to keep my head still and swing through the ball.  I drove the ball in every fairway that day and won the tourney.  I was only 235-240 off the tee, but I was never in trouble.  All from keeping my head still.

Sorry for the length, but I hope it helps.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Both my good and bad swings can show up at anytime during a round. Fortunately the good ones far out number the poor ones. 

When I was able to start playing again, my game fell off near the end of the round which I attributed to fatigue. Mental and/or physical fatigue can ruin any endeavor a person might have. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Played today with a couple of buds. Front 9 I was 3 up. Finished 3 down.

Lost the bottom of my swing and scored the worst ever on this course. Wasn't particularly tired on the back, just completely lost turning through and making good contact.

Hope I don't see this again! :~(

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

This post has given me some good ideas to test. I think part of it at least is physical fatigue. Scratch golfers have less of an issue - because they simply swing less.  The comment about too many practice swings go me thinking...

I might try limiting myself to one and only one practice swing. And a wild shot will be rewarded by dropping the ball where I wanted it to go.

The score won't be accurate but I will be able to test the results of physical fatigue.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• 3 years later...

Forgive the resurrection of this ancient topic, but it is how I came to be a member.

The journey is a long one, and I am at a point now where I have finally defeated the slice monster...for awhile anyway.  My first drive of the day is nearly guaranteed to be a pull.  Second drive too.  By the fifth hole, I am going straight-ish (20 handicapper, so I can live with that).  By the 12th hole, my drives are fading right a bit and by 16 I can't find the fairway.  I have a similar pattern just at the range, so I am thinking it is a physical, and not mental thing.

Is this a common occurrence? I'm 44 years old and very physically fit.  (I do not tire by a round of golf.)  Most importantly, how do I combat this?

Thanks for your responses.  I'm looking forward to participating in this community as I pursue this elusive game.

3 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Forgive the resurrection of this ancient topic, but it is how I came to be a member.

The journey is a long one, and I am at a point now where I have finally defeated the slice monster...for awhile anyway.  My first drive of the day is nearly guaranteed to be a pull.  Second drive too.  By the fifth hole, I am going straight-ish (20 handicapper, so I can live with that).  By the 12th hole, my drives are fading right a bit and by 16 I can't find the fairway.  I have a similar pattern just at the range, so I am thinking it is a physical, and not mental thing.

Is this a common occurrence? I'm 44 years old and very physically fit.  (I do not tire by a round of golf.)  Most importantly, how do I combat this?

Thanks for your responses.  I'm looking forward to participating in this community as I pursue this elusive game.

Hello from Florida! Well, despite your changing ball flight patterns throughout your round you may be surprised to see that your swing remains the same. Would be very helpful if you’d post a video of your swing. Even better to start a ‘My Swing’ thread if you haven’t already. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Welcome to TST.   @Vinsk gave you some great advice.   Start a member's swing and you'll get some great help.  Some very knowledgeable people will offer help without being judgmental.   We're glad you've decided to join.   

Here's some great reading:  Ball Flight Laws

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 4/7/2014 at 5:56 AM, MattM said:

The question is simple. I'm wondering how many people on here find that their swings start off sound at the beginning of their rounds only to have the swing deteriorate towards the middle and end? It seems that it continually happens to me. I am working with Evolvr and have really cleaned up my swing (so I think). My issue always seems to be that at the beginning of my round I am hitting greens and driving it into the fairway etc., and then a snap hook or a push fade will creep in as the round continues! It's been very frustrating for me the last few weeks with this! I'm wondering if people have this problem and what did they find was the solution? What did they find was the problem? I don't know if I'm tired and get lazy or if I'm just mentally tired. I'll even rehearse my mechanics five to ten times on every hole to make sure I'm still doing what I thought I was. It doesn't seem to matter though! Yesterday I was playing well until the 7th hole when I topped a driver. After that it all fell apart. Not only that but I tried to work with the club and my swing to get rid of the hook that I knew was coming on, and it didn't help! Does anyone else have this problem?

Mine can deteriorate any time in the round. How’s that for “progress”? 😁

The best part is I’m usually worse first couple holes and get better for a bit then worse and finish strong, sometimes. If things don’t go horribly wrong...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thank you for the feedback and the help in navigating the site for that matter.  I think I am going to have to post a video then.  I would appreciate the help because at the moment I am just working off of gut and my rudimentary understanding of the physics involved.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, Cantankerish said:

I'm probably too much of a linguist but when you say deteriorate, if you mean get worse throughout the round then my answer is no.  My present most frequent pattern is to have 3-5 holes that are much worse than the rest, but that can be holes 2-5 or 13-17, not necessarily at the end.  If you are constantly deteriorating it could well be fatigue even if you are physically fit.  Golf sometimes uses different motions and muscles that people aren't used to unless they've played / practiced regularly so it could be physical.

A likely issue from your description of the situation, is that you are suffering from what I call the creeps and that that is perfectly natural.  By the creeps I mean this: you hit your first drive and it slices, so on the 2nd you slightly strengthen your grip.  The 2nd slices less, so you slightly strengthen your grip again.  The next one goes straight, but by the 5th or 6th you are hooking the ball.  This where you need to remember that Harvey Penick quote, "Golf tips are like aspirin. One may do you good, but if you swallow the whole bottle you will be lucky to survive.”

On 4/7/2014 at 10:39 AM, Golfingdad said:

There is an instructor that teaches at the range I frequent that talks about states of mind and I think he's on to something there.  He talks about "swing mode" and "target mode" and a third one that I can't remember the name of, but basically, he's saying that there is a time and place to obsess over mechanics, but the course is not that place.  You throw all of the mechanical thoughts away and just concentrate on hitting the ball with whatever swing you brought that day.

This is interesting, and there is a similar concept in practicing/performing music. Basically, when rehearsing you have to think more about logistics, the form of the song, dynamics, technique, etc. But when on stage, the goal is the let all of that go and just play and try to make the music feel good. You wouldn't want all of that thinking going on or it would negatively affect the performance.

On 4/7/2014 at 10:39 AM, Motley01 said:

Yes Yes Yes, I have this issue! I think it might be an age thing, gettin older now. By the end of the round I get really tired and my swing goes to the toilet.

My typical round goes like this:

First tee shot is great, smoke it down the middle. Second shot is horrible, fat or thin. This goes on for couple of holes.

The middle of the round everything starts clicking, few pars and even a birdie or two.

Then the last few holes I'm tired, and I'm lucky to get pars, usually on the bogey train on 16, 17 and 18.

Crazy godamn game.....

This sounds like me! I suppose the early inconsistency is because I don't warm up sufficiently. And I don't know if I get tired, or just lazy, on the last few holes, but I do the much the same at the end of a round. 

On 2/1/2019 at 6:28 AM, Cantankerish said:

Thank you for the feedback and the help in navigating the site for that matter.  I think I am going to have to post a video then.  I would appreciate the help because at the moment I am just working off of gut and my rudimentary understanding of the physics involved.

The pulls and slices could both be from an OTT move. Kind of indicative of coming from out to in.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not deteriorate.  I'm more of a brittle fracture kind of guy.  All is well and then something goes south suddenly.  But it's really I'm just too loose.  It's a reminder that I need to focus back in on my technique.  Usually I get it back on track.

Bill - 

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

The pulls and slices could both be from an OTT move. Kind of indicative of coming from out to in.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Thanks again.  It seems increasingly clear to me that I need to get proper footage of myself for a swing analysis.  I suspect that I am swinging too vertically.  I just do not know for sure, or how to combat it if that is the case.  Right now I am trying to keep several things on my mind, and one of them is to consciously use more strength in my right hand so that I do not open the club face.  This actually gives me an excellent flight path with the slight draw - most of the time.  (Before this, I tried for months to turn over my right wrist, but that was too difficult to modulate, resulting in wild paths.)  I have no idea if this is the correct thing to do.  It works only if I focus intensely on it during the downswing, and I feel like I should be clearing my mind rather than filling it during the swing.

Note: This thread is 1877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!