IGNORED

What would you shoot at Augusta on Sunday?

albatross
Note: This thread is 3634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lets keep it real. It's a golf course that is pretty difficult. But to act like just walking onto the grounds adds 25 strokes to your handicap is just ridiculous. Sure playing it sight unseen I'm sure everyone would chop it up and play terribly but if a member can play better than Rory like he did yesterday then that is a testament to not let the mystique of the course blow up your score. The tournament setup and teeboxes cost the member 9 strokes off of his course record of 61 from a forward teebox. At the end of the day a good shot is a good shot regardless of whether it is hit on Augusta or a muni course. The objective of a course design is to of course make you forget that this is the same 100,150,200 yard shot that you've hit many times before.

Par at Augusta is 72. I doubt if a 10 handicapper would break 110 around there on a Sunday. More likely 120-125.

Sorry, but until you have been there, seen the slopes, looked at the tightness of the fairways, the grain, the way the greens are prepared and the way they are set up on a Sunday, you just have no idea. What looks reasonable on TV ain't.

And to say that Augusta does not have unfair pin placements...I guarantee you it does and that occasionally they are used. It's just that no-one vociferously complains, because to do so means the possibility of losing an invite.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Par at Augusta is 72. I doubt if a 10 handicapper would break 110 around there on a Sunday. More likely 120-125.

Sorry, but until you have been there, seen the slopes, looked at the tightness of the fairways, the grain, the way the greens are prepared and the way they are set up on a Sunday, you just have no idea. What looks reasonable on TV ain't.

And to say that Augusta does not have unfair pin placements...I guarantee you it does and that occasionally they are used. It's just that no-one vociferously complains, because to do so means the possibility of losing an invite.

I don't see any players trying to replace a ball within a foot or two of a cup finding it impossible without it rolling off of the green at Augusta (or any other professional event). There is always a legitimate way to play the hole. There would be a player's revolt if the pins were set on unfair slopes and whoever placed the pins would never be allowed near the course again.

Everybody talks about how some of the slopes funnel pretty good shots away from the pin and/or completely off of the green (which is true) but they conveniently forget to talk about the bowls that some of the pins are in where a fairly bad miss feeds back down to the pin and stops.

I've already seen several players this year turn away from (bad) shots in disgust only to hear the crowd start yelling and turn back around to see the ball going back down toward the hole.

P.S. I do agree with you about slopes on greens being nothing like they look on TV.

Being that I'm not used to super fast greens - wouldn't even break 100 - no way.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm around a 10 and that's just what I was thinking. I could see multiple well played shots landing just where I want and then rolling off the green. I can hit it the ball very high too. The firmness, speed and undulation of those greens would probably be nightmarish at times. Bogey golf is a 90. Double bogeys and a few "others" and it could be a quick 100+.

• Administrator

That's ridiculous.

126 would be someone who takes three shots to get NEAR any green (but never on), chips it on, and three-putts. ON EVERY HOLE ON THE COURSE. 126 is going around in straight triple bogeys, on every hole. A ten handicapper.

You continue to overstate how difficult the course is.

Why are you assuming people here haven't even been to Augusta National?

Have you been to Oakmont? Oakland Hills? Kiawah Island? Bethpage Black? Muirfield Village? Have you played those courses?

No it doesn't. It would be unprecedented for someone who otherwise qualifies to be "un-invited." Yes, there's some "reverence" which quells minor complaints, but you could still read the tea leaves if enough players said things like "that pin position on hole ##, man that's a beauty…". Please, tell us what Sunday pin positions are "unfair."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There is always a legitimate way to play the hole.

The best and most concise explanation of the course in this entire thread. Us open has some unfair pins, British has some tricked out holes, but Augusta always gives you an option.

I think a lot of people see Augusta as some sort of mythical place that no mortal could possibly tame. Yes it's long (although not THAT long), the greens are fast, the drives are narrow and the water hazards treacherous, but if you play properly and apply a bit of course management there's no reason a hacker can't have a decent day there. I've played 480 yard par 4s and made birdie before now. I've played holes with greens smaller than 12 and made birdie before now. And I know that none of the greens are as severe as one hole on a course near me where if you get on the wrong tier and are putting down hill then it's physically impossible to keep it on the green without hitting the hole (my tactic is actually to putt sideways off the green then it goes down a tier and the slope from the bunker pushes it back towards the flag). I am confident that it couldn't show me much I haven't seen before, the difficulty is that you need to concentrate all the time , because almost every hole is hard, not just one or two signatures.

This makes sense.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To iacas

Dude, I replied to you. You didn't like the answer. So I'll repeat it, only I'll make it shorter.

Your opinion is your own. Mine is the same. Dunno what playing other courses have to do with Sunday at Augusta.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
Dude, I replied to you. You didn't like the answer. So I'll repeat it, only I'll make it shorter.

You replied completely inside my own quote. Your post was malformed and a moderator deleted your post.

Your opinion is your own. Mine is the same. Dunno what playing other courses have to do with Sunday at Augusta.

Your opinion is extreme, and I was pointing out how ridiculously unlikely it was that a 10 handicapper would shoot 125 on the golf course. Playing other courses is relevant as they have hosted major championships recently, and have green speeds and slopes (not to mention rough and other hazards), and others can speak to the scores they shot there. Whistling Straits is another one. Far more penal off the tee, trickier bunkers, greens not quite as severe but still pretty bad, and long too.

You're entitled to your opinion, yes, but I'm entitled to my opinion that your opinion is silly. :) And I'm backing my opinion with more than a bizarre quote from Colin Montgomerie and idle speculation.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your opinion is your own. Mine is the same.

Not all opinions are created equal ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think I could should 90 or better. My opinion! If you don't like it, don't start a thread asking for it.

- Jered

• Administrator

I think I could should 90 or better. My opinion! If you don't like it, don't start a thread asking for it.

Well to be fair, that was @albatross . :)

I hover around a 10 HCP, and I think I could break 100 if I was having one of my better rounds, but I don't see myself shooting the 92 on the chart suggesting what people would shoot... Unless I was very familiar with the course and having an "on" day. First time playing it, in Sunday conditions, it would be a stretch for me break 100. And I have played "Major" courses, such as Oak Hill CC (one time just a week after hosting a major and they kept the course close to tournament conditions for members to enjoy). I'll just say... It play a lot tougher than the course normally does. How about when Jerry Rice... Who at the time was a +2 or something... Tried to play on the Nationwide and just blew up in tournament conditions. Everyone has good and bad days on the course, so it's relative to that as well. And whether or not one knows a course well, can have quite the impact as well. There you have my ramblings for the day...

I'll be honest, it's been funny reading the back and forth on this thread and honestly, I see both sides of the argument.  So many think my 8 hdcp should shoot 100 or over (me too lol), but at the same time, I would not be one bit surprised if I put up something in the high 80's.

Why is my 8 hdcp deceiving, I used to play in college, I played strategically and yes we played from the tips everywhere. I quit for a little while and when I started playing again, I push it and have fun. I don't play to yardages, I grab 3 wood and rip it off the tee... if I'm in the trees, it's likely I'll try to pull off the awesome shot because that's more fun to do in my opinion.  I go for greens from 265 instead of playing to my strong yardages between 70-100 yards, why? because that's fun to me now days...  I try flop shots on course when it's completely uncalled for why?..... yep it's more fun and that's the name of the game for me right now....  I played competitively, I took the game too serious and that's why i quit for a while, I got burnt out and lost the reason that I liked the game...  Now days, I don't work as much on my putting and short game and my course management is non-existent because I hit the shot in the moment that will be the most fun to try to hit and it's not always the shot that will put me in the best position to score - it's a conscious decision as I know what the smart play is and I know how to play my way around a course ...   Don't get me wrong, I still try to score low, I just do it in the most fun way as possible.

I completely understand why some people think that others can't score well, but I also understand why some would get offended when you judge them and think they are out of line because they think they can shoot good...    We don't all have to agree...   respect each others opinions, quit judging each other so much and have quality discussions!

Just remember, golf is supposed to be fun... I don't care if your playing for money - if you rob others of fun while you play, you don't need to be on the course!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Amateur golfers almost always overestimate and have false confidence. I sir, am a amateur golfer.

- Jered

Note: This thread is 3634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!