Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

Curious - which pro gets the most in-out with the least extension?

24 posts in this topic

I know all pros get great extension, just curious if any pros stick out in having less than others, relatively? Or is it just not the case?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Extension of what? Arms? Jordan Spieth has a slightly bent left arm. Most pros have a "straight" (not rigid) left arm and form a about a 90 degree or more angle at A3. Some less, some more.

Sorry for lack of specificity. Extension of the hips and torso. I was thinking about watching Tiger Woods and or maybe Phil Mickelson earlier in the year when either was playing with a tweaked back. The announcer mentioned protecting the back. So if a good player can get it out there - it looked like both still managed to get decent distance with a bad back, I'm assuming with less extension, assuming that's protecting the back, I assume some have more of it than others?

I thought you were talking about extension of the arms past impact... Lol, that's three different interpretations now...

I thought you were talking about extension of the arms past impact... Lol, that's three different interpretations now...

That's what I figured he was talking about too. :-D

Maybe because my right elbow is bothering me lately and when I've played I've tried to limit it's extension and it does cost some distance (and accuracy).

Saturday I only sucked it up and let it extend on the hardest holes (knowing it was going to hurt)...But I did birdie 3 of the 4 hardest holes on the course. :dance:

Unfortunately I bogeyed most of the easiest holes. :cry:

I thought you were talking hair

Good one...

How about Faldo in the pic on the left?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopek

So the picture in the far right would be best for the back. There would be more compression in the far left.

So the picture in the far right would be best for the back. There would be more compression in the far left.

Interesting. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Just making sure--you're saying left to right when facing the picture, correct?

Interesting. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Just making sure--you're saying left to right when facing the picture, correct?

Yes, legs pushing off the ground, belt buckle facing the sky is good.

Interesting. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Just making sure--you're saying left to right when facing the picture, correct?

:blink:

Yes, legs pushing off the ground, belt buckle facing the sky is good.

Right, so wouldn't the picture on the far right be better for compression?

Right, so wouldn't the picture on the far right be better for compression?

The picture on the far right is extension. When you do a morning stretch (B below), does it feel good or bad? When you putt for 30 minutes, is your back sore or not?

http://westjem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/wjem-14-147-g002.jpg

The far left isn't necessarily "bad for your back" but it's not good for your golf swing. If you go into the spine position on the far right and then bend both knees, THAT is bad for your back. You can feel it immediately.

The picture on the far right is extension. When you do a morning stretch (B below), does it feel good or bad? When you putt for 30 minutes, is your back sore or not?

The far left isn't necessarily "bad for your back" but it's not good for your golf swing. If you go into the spine position on the far right and then bend both knees, THAT is bad for your back. You can feel it immediately.

On a side note, it's easy to see why Faldo sucks now. That far right pic is money! The far left, old man golf...

I guess I was more interested in why the picture on the left is better for compression vs. the pic on the right. I assumed that getting into the position on the right would help with compression. The back thing I get.

I guess I was more interested in why the picture on the left is better for compression vs. the pic on the right. I assumed that getting into the position on the right would help with compression. The back thing I get.

If the legs stay flexed for too long you can't extend the pelvis "up". If the hips can't extend then the back (thoracic, lumbar) can't come out or lessen in flexion. Right pic is the one to copy.