IGNORED

Which ball for an 11 handicapper?

Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just started really working on my game this past year, down to an 11 from an 18. I've always just played balls that I've found on sale. Recently I've just been playing Costco's Callaway Hex Control because of how cheap they are. My swing speed is 100-105 for driver and 90-95 for irons. I'm just wondering if I'm leaving some shots out there by not playing a better ball.

What are your guy's opinions? If I should be playing a better ball how do most people go about choosing the right one for their game? Try a different sleeve per rnd?

Thanks in adavnce

Yeah just try out some different balls and find out which ones you like. The criteria for me is the way they feel around the greens. As long as it doesn't feel like a rock and sound like a marble I'll play with it. I play with Pro V1s most of the time but it would make little or no difference in my scores if I switched to any of a number of decent golf balls that are a lot cheaper and have longer lasting covers.

Bump

Also, do you guys put much credence into Golf Digest's rating on golf balls? Based off their latest magazine I was thinking about trying out Bridgestone e5/6 and Titleist NXT Tour

Bump Also, do you guys put much credence into Golf Digest's rating on golf balls? Based off their latest magazine I was thinking about trying out Bridgestone e5/6 and Titleist NXT Tour

I read through that last night. I was thinking about e5s as well. I currently play Pro Vs because I like the ball flight and how easy it is to control roll on chip shots, but I rarely buy them new. I used to play the PD Softs from Nike, but I've found that low compression balls tend to balloon on me. No idea of the compression level of the e5. Need to do some research. but to answer your question, I use GD's equipment ratings as a guideline by which I can do my own research. I've seen them publish too many conflicting reviews.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Bump Also, do you guys put much credence into Golf Digest's rating on golf balls? Based off their latest magazine I was thinking about trying out Bridgestone e5/6 and Titleist NXT Tour

I give no credence into Golf Digest's ratings of anything, but feel free to try the balls out for yourself. Like @MS256 , I also pick my ball based on its attributes around the green. You have to try a few different kinds tobget a feel for what works best for your game.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The GD spin ratings for 2014 excluded many upgraded golf balls which was a big disappointment (they had every Titleist).  I am still hovering near an 18 HCP but starting scoring more like a 15 toward the end of the season by taking advantage of a less expensive 3 piece urethene ball around the greens.  You may want to consider the Gamer Tour, Maxfli U/3, or TM Project (a) and see how it impacts your game.  Much of golf ball selection is subjective, so experiment with a few different types (brand should not matter that much) and see how they work for you.

Try the Srixon Zstar XV!!

:titleist: 913 D3 9.5* Diamana 72g X-flex neutral

:titleist: 913 FD 15* Diamana 82g X-flex neutral

:titleist: AP2 712 3-PW S-300

:vokey:51-08/ 55-11/ 59-08 equal length shaft

:cameron: Select Newport 2

Well looking at your swing speed you hit the ball long enough to play a softer (feel) ball

But with that it is good to know your carry distances with your irons. When playing a softer ball

it will stop faster on the greens.

I'm currently playing the Taylormade TP 5 ball, i didn't find a better ball for my personal preference.

Other balls you must look into:

Wilson FG Tour ( good ball for good price )

Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1 X

Bridgestone B330 ( not my favorite )

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

If you're swinging over 100 mph with a driver you should switch to a tour level ball if you want to see much better performance with distance and spin around the greens.  Maybe the Bridgestone B330 RX, or even the 330 if you're swinging above 105 mph.  You could also use the next tier down ball like the Taylormade Project A or Callaway Hex Chrome series.  Believe it or not you will really see a difference especially as it gets warmer now.  Try the Bridgestone on line ball fitting for starters too.

• 3 weeks later...
If you start using a ball with a urethane cover, give yourself some time to adjust to the difference on pitches and chipping.

I bought a pack of Nike Black balls and I really liked them sadly thought the combination of my home course and my driver dont agree with my wallet.

I also subscribe to the try a sleeve to find what you like method. I personally like the Bridgestone B330 series in a premium ball and go to the Titleist DT Solo for a less expensive ball. I will play ProV's if I get them as gifts, or need/want a premium ball for a competition or something and B330's aren't available. Honestly, between these three, if the logos were painted over, my game probably wouldn't know the difference, but I think they are better so they are. I don't like the feel of the harder balls out there.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!