IGNORED

Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. Bubba - fan or not ??

• Yes
    • No

All that being said...if I hear one more commentator say, "he's never had a golf lesson in his life" I might pluck my eyeballs out of my head.  He was on the UGA golf team.  OF COURSE he's had a lesson.

Totally agree with the "golf lesson" storyline. Sure, I get it, he was raised in a tiny town and was homemade early on. As said, I'm pretty sure he had a golf lesson at Georgia.

Yeah, the never had a lesson or any instruction in his life is pure horse shit IMO.

Just because he was on a college golf team doesn't mean he's had a lesson. A lot of college golf coaches are little more than bus drivers. Here's what Bubba's website says: "More interestingly, the only golf lesson Bubba received was from his father at a very young age and he has not had a lesson since. He is truly a self-taught golfer."

Just because he was on a college golf team doesn't mean he's had a lesson. A lot of college golf coaches are little more than bus drivers. Here's what Bubba's website says: "More interestingly, the only golf lesson Bubba received was from his father at a very young age and he has not had a lesson since. He is truly a self-taught golfer."

I doubt the college golf coach at Georgia  is a glorified bus driver :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I doubt the college golf coach at Georgia  is a glorified bus driver

Agree, but what I really doubt is all the omniscient posters who just "know" he never had a lesson.

I doubt the college golf coach at Georgia  is a glorified bus driver

I don't know but would bet:

Good organizer.

Good "people skills".

Knows golf very well.

Probably even could be a swing coach under a different setting.

But coaching the swings of his players at Georgia? I doubt it very seriously.

I don't know but would bet:

Good organizer.

Good "people skills".

Knows golf very well.

Probably even could be a swing coach under a different setting.

But coaching the swings of his players at Georgia? I doubt it very seriously.

As a big school, I would think there would be multiple people on staff for a golf program. Heck they might have an on staff swing coach or consult out to a local guy. So who knows. I doubt that a school like Georgia wouldn't have resources available for scholarship golfers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Has there ever been an instructor anywhere who has said "yea, I worked with Bubba once. His swing used to be here, and now it's here." To my knowledge, no.

Golf has had idiot savants before. Moe Norman comes to mind. I think Bubba is one too.

Bubba can just play.

Constantine

Has there ever been an instructor anywhere who has said "yea, I worked with Bubba once. His swing used to be here, and now it's here." To my knowledge, no.  Golf has had idiot savants before. Moe Norman comes to mind. I think Bubba is one too. Bubba can just play.

So what you're saying, in regards to Bubba, is that... [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyF0tR6cQA4[/VIDEO] ...When it comes to golf.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Has there ever been an instructor anywhere who has said "yea, I worked with Bubba once. His swing used to be here, and now it's here." To my knowledge, no.

Golf has had idiot savants before. Moe Norman comes to mind. I think Bubba is one too.

Bubba can just play.

So what you're saying, in regards to Bubba, is that...

...When it comes to golf.

Jamo: Damn I just bogeyed a hole.

JetFan: Jamo... It's not your fault.

Jamo: Yea.

JetFan: No, no, listen to me, man.... It's not your fault.

Jamo: Yea, I know.

JetFan: No, no you don't. It's not your fault.

Jamo: I know that.

JetFan: It's not your fault....

Jamo: Don't do this to me, man. Not you, man.

JetFan: It's Erik's fault. Clearly Erik's fault.

Jamo: Good point. Next hole?

JetFan: Yep! :-P

Just wanted to repeat what I said before that I'm differentiating between a lesson where swing mechanics are changed and a playing lesson where course management tips are shared. I definitely think he's had a ton of playing lessons over the years. I just don't see evidence of his swing ever being influenced by any instructor anywhere. Of course, if evidence of this surfaced somewhere, I'd definitely change my tune.

Actually, it'd be pretty cool to hear what his college coach has to say about this "never had a lesson thing." I wonder if he's ever been interviewed specifically about that.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

From his website: "Although Bubba was a standout left-handed pitcher in high school, he chose to stick with golf and received a golf scholarship to the University of Georgia where he helped lead the Bulldogs to an SEC title in 2000. In 2001, a year away from graduating, Bubba decided to turn professional and went on to lead the Tour in driving distance multiple years in a row."

It also says on his website that he returned to UGA in 2008 to complete his course work, and recieve his degree in consumer economics.

I'm pretty sure your typical collegiate golf coach wouldn't even begin to know where to start in giving Bubba a swing lesson. I'm quite confident his coach tried to work on his maturity and course management while at UGA but completely left that ugly beautiful swing untouched so it could keep doing its thing.

You mean he's educated in self promotion and covering up the fact that he's a big phony.

His Twitter thingy - "Christian. Husband. Father. Golfer." Utter sanctimonious self promotion.  Enough to make one vomit.

Fun?  When? Where?  - in his Oakley ads which the average viewer thinks are home videos of him having "fun"?

He's the most dour player on the course.

Religious? How is that a positive? You mean gullible and naive.

Honest? Honorable? Loyal? What - and other players aren't? These are hardly rare characteristics.

But his "Bubba golf" thing is total BS. He talks it but doesn't do it. He does try to be something he isn't.

He loves his son - what an incredibly rare, strange and unusual thing that is. Never seen or heard of it before. Amazing. He's one in a billion.

BTW  and FWIW - I thought his first Masters victory was an anomaly  - but he was very impressive the second time round. He deserved it and I'm happy for him.

Good post. You pretty much summed up my feelings here.

You mean he's educated in self promotion and covering up the fact that he's a big phony.

His Twitter thingy - "Christian. Husband. Father. Golfer." Utter sanctimonious self promotion.  Enough to make one vomit.

Fun?  When? Where?  - in his Oakley ads which the average viewer thinks are home videos of him having "fun"?

He's the most dour player on the course.

Religious? How is that a positive? You mean gullible and naive.

Honest? Honorable? Loyal? What - and other players aren't? These are hardly rare characteristics.

But his "Bubba golf" thing is total BS. He talks it but doesn't do it. He does try to be something he isn't.

He loves his son - what an incredibly rare, strange and unusual thing that is. Never seen or heard of it before. Amazing. He's one in a billion.

BTW  and FWIW - I thought his first Masters victory was an anomaly  - but he was very impressive the second time round. He deserved it and I'm happy for him.

I'm not sure how long you have known Bubba personally, Shorty, but you make some pretty blunt statements which would indicate that you two are fairly close. I'm not sure how you think posting a few descriptive words about yourself on Twitter is "sanctimonious, self-promotion". My twitter states that I'm a husband, father, avid golfer, buckeyes and browns fan. I guess I'm also self-promoting? Then again, isn't anyone who uses social media doing some degree of self-promotion by making your life, opinions and activities public?

When I'm watching the PGA and they cut to Bubba, I usually see him smiling and laughing much more than other players. If that's your idea of dour, I'm not sure what you'd call Dufner and Furyk.

I won't even touch the religious aspect of your post because that will start an off-topic apocalypse in this thread. I will say that you are entitled to your opinion though, just as anyone else is. I also think that you should teeter behind that line carefully though, just out of common courtesy. I've yet to see atheists get bashed in this thread, but I've seen numerous references to religion being "naive", "gullible", "bible thumping", or "annoying".

Bubba is the man. He has character and enthusiasm, he is what the game needs more of. Some players are just so boring, even when they win, they are boring, bubba is not one of them. Other exciting people in golf: Tiger, Phil, Rory, Fowler, DJ, Speith, Daily, Mahan. The game needs more players like this.

I was a fan but have heard some negatives about his behavior off the course.  Like the guy from Tim Cup.

I was once in the same boat, but I think we need to develop our own opinions through the little that we actually know about somebody. Remember that TV and publicity can make nearly anyone come off a "certain type of way". What I mean is that, 5 things that can be frowned upon but are not really that big of a deal can be blown out of perspective and make someone come off in a way that is not true to their actual character. I think this is the case with Bubba and I actually became a fan when I realized this.

• Upvote 1

Well, that is why he is polarizing. Some think his honesty is refreshing. Others might think the answer to the question should have been something along these lines: "Scott and I might have disagreements but in the end it always comes down to my decision. It is my responsibility." That sees to be Phil and Bones' relationship. They argue as well, but is there any doubt who is in charge in that situation. Phil is going to hit what Phil wants to hit.

am I dreaming did I really read you try to compare the relationship between Phil and bones to Bubba and his caddy as anything similar you must be joking

Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!