IGNORED

Would you rather

Prodigy
Note: This thread is 5833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. would you rather

• hit every green in regulation
    • or make every putt

• Administrator
I'd choose 'make every putt', then tee off with the putter

Those don't count as putts. Only strokes made from the putting surface.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say hit every green in regulation what sort of proximity to the hole are we talking about?

just like par 4 on in two par 3 one in one etc.

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

I would say every GIR, because for someone like me, that would be a pretty big step up, plus I'm an okay putter so I will go ahead and assume the worst I'll get on a given hole is bogey, and possibly make some birds, and pars. But for a better all around golfer, I can defintly see why 'all putts' would be a better option.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Ill say make every put in regulation. The average golfer make 2 puts per green. Thats mean if you make one per green you are better thant the average. Also make green in regulation is good because you have to get to the green first before you can put.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

ok lets say you dont know how to swing a club or putt would you rather hit every green in regulation or make every putt?

I'd prefer to hit a GIR and four putt than get up and down for a triple bogey.

If my putting is awful, it's a simple and straightfoward problem that needs to be fixed. However, if it takes me six shots to get to the green, it could be a whole host of problems. Is it my driving off the tee, my ballstriking, wedge play, short game and chipping, or what? I wouldn't really know, but with bad putting it can only possibly be one thing - bad putting.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Guest ShadowXOR
I would prefer hitting greens in regulation...because that's the funnest part of the game for me and I would love to be good at it. The catch to the old phrase "Drive for show, putt for dough." is that most of us will never even have a chance to putt for dough so we might as well have fun, and to me everything before the green is the funnest part. I know it's an expression and means that is where you will really keep your score down, but as I said my priority is fun and most of us aren't playing serious games.

If I was a pro perhaps this would change, but this is how I currently feel.

For me, it's all about hitting GIR's. When my GIR count is high, my scores are low.
I'm fairly long but sometimes wild off the tee. That can mean trouble on a target-golf style course which is what I predominantly play. I consider myself a pretty good putter.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I Know what GIR is. I meant how many feet from the cup would I be. You could hit every green in regulation and have all 70 foot putts which wouldn't be good for scoring.

lets say 25ft

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Think about it this way, if you absolutely knew that you were going to make every putt, then it would be easy on you. You could take a dozen lessons, get your swing down, so you hit every green in regulation, then join the tour. Every gir, one putt, and your shooting 18 under par!

In the bag:

Driver: F-Speed 12*
3 Wood: r7 draw
5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

Talking about hitting every green in regulation made me remember a round I had. I hit all 18 greens and two putted every hole for an even par round. I know a lot of people would be happy with that, and most of the time I would be. But at the same time it was frustrating to miss so many birdie putts. GOLF... you gotta love it !
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

voted making putts.. because if i dont hit the green i will hit close to.. and my short game is much better than my putting so thats where i want to improve

In The Bag
Driver:............. Sasquatch sumo2
Woods:.......... Ignite
Irons: ......... CG Gold
wedges:.. . vokey SM 60.04, 56.10 Oil-Can and Cg12 52.10 Putter:..... Craz-EBall:.... pro v1 and HX hotA young low budget...

if i look back at my round from this morning, i shot an 82. I missed four birdie putts, and an eagle putt (made that birdie). If I had made those putts, I would have shot 76. I missed a lot of greens today. I had 8/18 greens.

I'm noticing a trend. The lower handicaps are saying putts, and the higher handicaps are saying greens...I will say this. My loins don't feel a good putt. They do feel that 150 yard shot struck perfectly (like butter) to 2 feet.

Driver- TM 580XD 9*
3w- Adams GT extreme 15*
2H- Snake Eyes 653TH
4-gw Snake Eyes Viper Tour 1/2" long, 2 degrees up
wedges:TM chrome RAC 56*putter: Odyssey 2 ball DFX ball: Srixon Z-URC

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely every green in regulation.

I mostly 2-putt, so the odd 1-putt here and there and I'm under par
or I balance out the 3-putts.

Either way, much better than hitting 3 after slicing or hooking OB, hitting it fat for 4, laying up short for 5, blading it over the green for 6, perfect pitch for 7 and 1-putting for a solid 8.

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 5833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!